needing some basic router config advice for GenieGo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlleno

Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I have an actiontec q1000, operating on subnet 11, on which I have disabled the wireless portion, and I have an outboard Netgear wireless router operating on subnet 10. For setting up GenieGo, how should the port forwarding be set up -- on both devices? For example, if the GenieGo has a 192.168.10.2 address (provided by the Netgear DHCP) I can configure port forwarding easy enough but then should the same IP/port forward assignment be made in the Q1000? I'm not having luck configuring port forwarding in the Q1000.

A basic explanation of how port forwarding works with such a setup would be awesome

thanks!

First let me ask you a question. Why are you using daisy chained routers?

Possible solution #1. If the Netgear router is the only device plugged into the Actiontec, you might be able to tell the Actiontec to place the IP address used by the Netgear into the DMZ. That would forward all ports from the Internet through the Actiontec to the Netgear.

Possible solution #2. If the Netgear router is the only device plugged into the Actiontec, you may wish to switch the Actiontec into BRIDGE mode so it is acting as a modem only. Then you only need to worry about setting up the port forwarding on the Netgear.

yea been studying that, bu they assume only one router. I have (had) two. My network was necessarily complex, and port forwarding through two routers with IP address translation did not sound like my idea of fun. So I re-configured my Netgear to function only as a WAP and not as a router -- this is accomplished by turning off DHCP and ignoring its WAN port (connecting Q1000 to one of the Netgear's normal ports, not its WAN port). Once that was done, the Q1000 itself becomes the only router and DHCP server and now port forwarding is a simple configuration that works with the DTV instructions.

yay!

tips:
1. if your router is ole, you might have to set IE compatibility mode. my Q1000 was built before IE8 was designed :)
2. choose IP addresses for the router and WAP that are on the same network but outside the IP range of the router's DHCP server

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)