Negotiating power?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harrisburgpatv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Mechanicsburg, PA
So my "2 years" will end on December 26 and I will be out-of-contract. I have no interest of switching to anything else, but what kind of deals are offered to a customer who is out-of-contract to get them to stay? I currently have Premier with all of the premium channels and sports pack individually discounted...I think $33 total off for all of them.

So my "2 years" will end on December 26 and I will be out-of-contract. I have no interest of switching to anything else, but what kind of deals are offered to a customer who is out-of-contract to get them to stay? I currently have Premier with all of the premium channels and sports pack individually discounted...I think $33 total off for all of them.
For better or for worse, it's sometimes dependent on the CSR (Customer Service Representative) that you get when calling into DirecTV to ask about such deals.

Clearly, being out of contract certain biases the negotiations in your favor. And remember, these are negotiations, so certainly begin the conversation on a pleasant tone, and don't be afraid to push.

My wife and I have been with DirecTV for more than 10 years, and after a couple of our contractual obligations were expired, when I would ask for certain types of credits, sometimes on their first reply, I would say that we could do better. They then came back with a second offer, and we agreed.

At the end of the day, you need to know what you're willing to battle for, which comes down to how you can make a particular offer work for both you and DirecTV. If you want to stick with DirecTV and only want to leave if there's a worst-case scenario, it's possible that you could use the direct approach and be upfront with them; either way, they'll likely send you to Retention (personally, I have an ethical issue that any serious negotiations have to occur under the auspices of being sent to Retention -- it's like they're already risking the professional relationship, that action doesn't help -- but that's the way they act).

I will say this. I was once told that, on a customer-to-customer basis, DirecTV assigns customers certain "coupons" (I think they called them), whereby if you as the customer ask for certain credits or deals, they can be likely to provide. Then again, take a look at your bill. See exactly where any credits are listed. If you have a credit listed in one section (such as for DVR service or for HD service), and if a future credit would need to be added in that section, it's highly likely that an existing credit will have to drop prior to adding another. This means that DirecTV uses everyone's bill sections as convenient areas to credit your account.

I chatted online with them last night. Told them point blank I was going to cancel unless I could get the new customer offer. They told me to use my wife's info to sign up and I did. Scheduled an install on the same day as my cancelation was to take effect. Installer is going to have an easy day. I just hope I'm allowed to keep my genie. Don't want to lose my dvr content.

I chatted online with them last night. Told them point blank I was going to cancel unless I could get the new customer offer. They told me to use my wife's info to sign up and I did. Scheduled an install on the same day as my cancellation was to take effect. Installer is going to have an easy day. I just hope I'm allowed to keep my genie. Don't want to lose my dvr content.
Nope

Well thats rediculous. I might call and just tell them to forget it. That irritates me. Planning on moving across country in a few months anyway. Wonder if its better just to cancel satellite all together, pick up TWC down here, as much as they suck, with no contract until I move, and get a new customer offer when I move.

Equipment with ID number is tied to an account. You closed the account, the equipment associated with that account must be returned. Your best route is to return the equipment as late as possible.

The best bet is wait until you move and get the movers deal. Look, I get trying to save a few bucks...I call in for Sunday Ticket every year...but to think you're entitled to a new customer deal every two years is crazy.

If it's worth it to keep switching providers then go for it. I'm too happy with DTV to bother with all that.

Reactions: mdram
The best bet is wait until you move and get the movers deal. Look, I get trying to save a few bucks...I call in for Sunday Ticket every year...but to think you're entitled to a new customer deal every two years is crazy.

If it's worth it to keep switching providers then go for it. I'm too happy with DTV to bother with all that.

ive been saying for years i wish directv and dish would stop with giving in to people and just lower everyones bill by a tad

you had your new customer deal, what really makes you think your entitled to it again?
should .gov just give you free cable/sat tv?
either deal with it or cancel and stop whining

Reactions: kattheaunt
ive been saying for years i wish directv and dish would stop with giving in to people and just lower everyones bill by a tad

you had your new customer deal, what really makes you think your entitled to it again?
should .gov just give you free cable/sat tv?
either deal with it or cancel and stop whining

So when someone decides to cancel and they call, and are offered a discount to stay what are they supposed to do?

Are they supposed to say "no thank you, even though I am happy with your service and I feel the price has crept up and the discount you are offering me would normally make me stay I must decline, as some people wish you would not offer discounts".

Reactions: Troch77
So when someone decides to cancel and they call, and are offered a discount to stay what are they supposed to do?

Are they supposed to say "no thank you, even though I am happy with your service and I feel the price has crept up and the discount you are offering me would normally make me stay I must decline, as some people wish you would not offer discounts".

there is a difference between wanting to cancel and staying because of an offer
and threatening to cancel just to get that offer

but yes, i think they shouldn't offer discounts. its an abused system

Shrinking consumer base means the only way you can keep profits rising at X% is to raise rates and fees.

If people want to exploit retentions for deals then all the more power to them. If Directv wants to let those customers go, that is their choice. Complaining about the player instead of the game isn't going to get you anywhere. These companies provide a service we pay for. There is no loyalty, it is a numbers game. If you don't want to play, that is your decision.

So is raising the Rates, and Changing people's existing contracts, and overall equipment pricing.

But hey we only keep the lights on.
The trend is another concept called IPTV, OTT, or various other acronyms. Basically, DirecTV is one of the few companies out there that is able to charge a premium for their services because their service is among the best out there. Even my Comcast Xfinity Internet tech stated that DirecTV or DISH are far better than anything that cable offers.

The only thing that any consumer has the right to is a decision of whether or not to do business with a company. DirecTV, for their part, did their best vis-a-vis the Viacom carriage dispute to attempt to keep rates down. Personally, I appreciate their efforts along those lines; call me a company man, but I appreciate good negotiations.

Regardless, consumer pricing on various packages cannot go up indefinitely, and I know that DirecTV knows this, because they certainly keep giving me deals. I've already told them that I refuse to pay anything above three figures for our setup, and so far, they've obliged.

Then again, they do have a ~$40 plan that isn't overtly advertised that they keep on board for "cord shavers." The caveat with this plan is that they don't necessarily include every channel that you might watch, but it's worth a shot to ask about it, as long as you know which channels you definitely require.

On the other hand, once Apple gets their agreements in line, I'm really looking forward to their alleged OTT service they're rumored to be rolling out by Q1 2016, which should include a number of popular channels. We'll see.

And just in case you're curious, I actually asked -- you don't get a "new customer" deal unless you've been away from them for 3 years. So, it's your choice how you wish to proceed forward.

Reactions: Marcingak
The trend is another concept called IPTV, OTT, or various other acronyms. Basically, DirecTV is one of the few companies out there that is able to charge a premium for their services because their service is among the best out there. Even my Comcast Xfinity Internet tech stated that DirecTV or DISH are far better than anything that cable offers.

The only thing that any consumer has the right to is a decision of whether or not to do business with a company. DirecTV, for their part, did their best vis-a-vis the Viacom carriage dispute to attempt to keep rates down. Personally, I appreciate their efforts along those lines; call me a company man, but I appreciate good negotiations.

Regardless, consumer pricing on various packages cannot go up indefinitely, and I know that DirecTV knows this, because they certainly keep giving me deals. I've already told them that I refuse to pay anything above three figures for our setup, and so far, they've obliged.

Then again, they do have a ~$40 plan that isn't overtly advertised that they keep on board for "cord shavers." The caveat with this plan is that they don't necessarily include every channel that you might watch, but it's worth a shot to ask about it, as long as you know which channels you definitely require.

On the other hand, once Apple gets their agreements in line, I'm really looking forward to their alleged OTT service they're rumored to be rolling out by Q1 2016, which should include a number of popular channels. We'll see.

And just in case you're curious, I actually asked -- you don't get a "new customer" deal unless you've been away from them for 3 years. So, it's your choice how you wish to proceed forward.
Is the ~$40 plan the Select package or something else?

My take on this is if you don't like the pricing call and cancel. If the company is wiling to offer you something to stay then fine, if not move on. I Just went thorough this with my cable company. After paying $75 a month for just internet (100/35), I saw that FiOS was offering $39.99 for the first year and $49.99 the second year for 100/100 service plus a modem rental fee of $10 a month plus $40 one time install charge and taxes. When I Call to cancel Optimum gave an offer of $64.99 a month instead of $75.00 which I refused then proceed to schedule an install for FiOS. The next day latter I receivers a call from Optimum to conduct a survey from the call I made previously. I told them that I was going to cancel as soon as FiOS was installed since I found a bette offer with FiOS. They said we can give you an offer for $55 for 12 months, I said deal. At any given time as was demanding or felt entitled for them to give a better price. My intention was to go with the better often I found but THEY decided to give a comparable offer which I found to be what was the other offer was.

Which reminds me that I have to pack up the Verizon modem to send it back to them!

I just tried to get a bundle of DirecTv, Uverse internet and home phone.

I currently have DirecTv, and Charter internet (60+mbps) and Charter home phone. The "closest & best" she said she could do was 45 mbps internet + home phone for about $70.00 per month. Pretty much what I'm paying Charter for faster speed.

#1- I thought bundling would reward me a good price. #2 - Why change?

If you don't mind me asking, how much is your bill and what are you getting for it?
At the moment, my bill is just over $90. This includes the equivalent of three receivers and the $74.99 package, if I recall. The discounts include two separate ones; one expires in about two billing cycles, so I'm going to have to review how to deal with that in 2016.

I keep hoping that Apple would get their service out so that I could seriously look at suspending DirecTV service in favor of it, assuming that the new OTT service is worth getting.

so no current OTT service works for you? and you think apple will have one that does? interesting

Well thats rediculous. I might call and just tell them to forget it. That irritates me. Planning on moving across country in a few months anyway. Wonder if its better just to cancel satellite all together, pick up TWC down here, as much as they suck, with no contract until I move, and get a new customer offer when I move.
Smart move cancelling the work order as if you move and take DTV with you in your "first year of service" under your wife's name... Would be hefty fees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)