Neighbor's distance? TV turning on by itself

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

suzikg

Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
madison, va
Just curious as to how far away a neighbor's house needs to be to interfere with my service.

VIP722 DVR dual receiver. TV 1 has been powering itself on. Channels are not changing randomly...the TV just mysteriously comes on. TV 2 does not.

My closest neighbors (3 of them) are each at least a quarter of a mile away and their homes are not even visible from mine through the heavily wooded terrain. I really live in the sticks. :D

Is it possible that their remote signals could be doing this? Is it even a remote control issue or perhaps something else?

This happens randomly and not every day, or even that often, but is an annoying enough situation to seek a solution.

I have not contacted them to see if they are DISH subscribers but will do so if y'all think I should.

thanks in advance,

suzi g

This is a TV thing, not a satellite thing, I would guess.

If you get a sufficient IR pulse, it could conceivably turn on your TV.
What REMOTE are you using? The one that came with the TV? Does it have the ability to act as a timer? Actually... my old VCR could act as a timer and it would send out an IR command to turn on the TV. A random IR pulse that turns on the TV would be kinda flukey, but a device you already have, doing an IR blast to turn on the TV is not too far fetched.

**edit** or are you talking about 2 separate satellite receivers? One on TV1 and one on TV2?

Are you sure your husband or the kids are not screwing around with you? There is no way IR will make it a quarter of a mile let alone the next room.
I would check into the timer thing.
Is it the tv or the DVR that is coming on?

This is a TV thing, not a satellite thing, I would guess.

If you get a sufficient IR pulse, it could conceivably turn on your TV.
What REMOTE are you using? The one that came with the TV? Primary remote is the 722's but am also using the TV remote (Hitachi 43U WX1 OB) for volume only...the DISH remote will not control the TV's volume. DISH guy said the 722's couldn't be programmed for my TV volume. :what Does it have the ability to act as a timer? It has a sleep function but I don't think a timer function. Actually... my old VCR could act as a timer and it would send out an IR command to turn on the TV. A random IR pulse that turns on the TV would be kinda flukey, but a device you already have, doing an IR blast to turn on the TV is not too far fetched. You are referring to the TV remote? As there is nothing else hooked up to the receiver but the TV...no aux anything.

Thanks so much. I think I am going to go look for Hitachi codes on my own and see if I can bypass the TV's remote...if that will help.

suzi g

Are you sure your husband or the kids are not screwing around with you? There is no way IR will make it a quarter of a mile let alone the next room.
I would check into the timer thing.
Is it the tv or the DVR that is coming on?

No husband, kids, dogs, cats...maybe it's the deer or squirrels or the bears :confused:.

It is the TV. I will check into the timer thing.

Cover the IR sensor with electrical tape and see, if it's still doing it, then the IR receiver module in TV is starting to fail.

I had a flaky remote once that would cause my tv's info screen to come on randomly. I bought a universal remote and the problem went away. It's a long shot but try putting your remote in another room and see the problem stops.

Cover the IR sensor with electrical tape and see, if it's still doing it, then the IR receiver module in TV is starting to fail.

I had to do this to the IR emitter on my LAPTOP, that I use for surfing the net, while sitting on the couch watching tv. Certain keystrokes cause IR devices in my living room to do strange things!

Also, be aware that some of the new tv's with HDMI inputs, will turn on the tv when receiving a signal on the HDMI port. Since Dish receivers have that screensaver always on, perhaps that can mess with it.

Go into your tv settings, and see if something like that is there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)