Netflix gets Disney in 2016

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Netflix has won the rights to Disney movies, and starting in 2016 when Starz contract expires they'll be the ones playing the Disney catalog in some cases just several months after it leaves theaters.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...us-netflix-disney-paytv-idUSBRE8B312Q20121204

(Reuters) - Walt Disney Co agreed to give Netflix exclusive TV distribution rights to its movies, becoming the first major studio to stream its movies to TV viewers via Netflix instead of distributing them to HBO, Showtime or other premium TV channels.
The agreement begins in 2016, after Disney's current deal with Liberty Media's pay-TV channel Starz expires.
The deal gives Netflix streaming rights to movies from Disney's live action and animation studios, including those from Pixar, Marvel, and the recently acquired Lucasfilms. Disney bought the famed studio founded by George Lucas and responsible for the "Star Wars" franchise for $4 billion on October 30.
Movies from Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks studios are not included in the deal, as that studio distributes its movies through CBS's Showtime on TV. Disney recently signed a deal to distribute DreamWorks' films theatrically after the studio's deal with Viacom's Paramount Pictures expired.
Under the deal's terms, Netflix can stream Disney movies beginning seven to nine months after they appear in theaters, as Starz had done in Disney's prior agreement. The deal does not cover DVD rentals of Disney movies.

Alright! Time for that stock to get back to 300!!!!

(so I don't lose my a$$, and make some $$$ instead)

and nice job sticking it to Starz, who would probably still have the rights, if they played nice with netflix!

Netflix has to add more subscriptions with the cost of the disney content. Not sure if this will help Netflix

Netflix sucks either way unless they start negotiating to stream movies right when they come out on dvd imo :)

No studio will do that, it would cut in to physical DVD/bluray sales.

So, Netflix does not suck.

Maybe but if they can be put on Satellite like Directv and Dish same day as when they are out on DVD to buy on PPV they could :)

7 to 9 months after theaters sounds pretty close to that actually. Adding the Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm catalogs is huge, one of the biggest moves they could even make.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I log onto Netflix via PS3 3-4 times a week and I havent noticed any changes under the "new releases" tab for about 5-6 months.

Maybe but if they can be put on Satellite like Directv and Dish same day as when they are out on DVD to buy on PPV they could :)

I hope you're not paying those inflated prices though. With Netflix and BBOnline, BBV and Family Video (plus some mom&pop) b&m's and Redbox, nobody should be paying more than $3 to rent a 1080p (Blu-Ray) movie.

I hope you're not paying those inflated prices though. With Netflix and BBOnline, BBV and Family Video (plus some mom&pop) b&m's and Redbox, nobody should be paying more than $3 to rent a 1080p (Blu-Ray) movie.

I agree but if Netflix wants to survive they are going to have to negotiate quicker strreaing and better selections on streaming :)

Sure they could. If they charged $3.99 - $5.99 per rental like everyone else. ;) But, you are correct. Netflix does not suck!

PPV is not the Netflix model. They are a monthly subscription service. So much would have to change, I'm sure they are not even considering it.