This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Netflix not dead yet

I have always thought that the reports of Netflix's impending doom were extremely unlikely to happen. Even without the coronavirus, they were always going to be just fine.

Yeah, I don’t know anyone that does any streaming at all that doesn’t have Netflix.

Yeah, I don’t know anyone that does any streaming at all that doesn’t have Netflix.

I don't have Netflix and I stream everything I watch.

I actually just cancelled earlier this month. Last spring, when it jumped from $10/mo. to $13 in less than two years, it became too expensive for me to justify having it year round if I had other services. Right now I have HBO for Westworld and a free month of Epix via YTTV. And I do keep Prime year round because of the annual fee discount, though I don't watch it that much.

Reactions: TheKrell
I only pay for Netflix if there is an original the wife wants to see, then cancel. I have tried having it for a few months and no one in the house watched it. So, not paying for it every month.

Reactions: TheKrell
I pay $15.99/mo for the 4K plan with 4 simultaneous streams. My brother, my daughter, a best friend, my parents and myself all use it.

Be careful, this is from a friend I went to College with that works for Netflix, they are really tracking IP addresses for those that are sharing accounts, they are going to soon start back billing, for example if your parents activated 6 months ago on their IP address that is different then yours and the longer you go is is how long they can bill you for.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

That's not what I was told. If you pay for the high-end plan (and I do), you're allowed to have up to 4 simultaneous streams. They don't have to all be from the same IP. And even if they did, what if 4 family members using 4 different cell phones drawing 4 different IP's wanted to stream? What if I'm traveling and activate at 4 different hotels over 4 weeks? They'd be opening themselves up to all kinds of legal scrutiny if they did that.

No, I believe what your friend is referring to is people who are sharing their single stream $8.99 plan that doesn't allow more than 1 stream at a time.

I activated years ago and have had many different IPs over those years.

There was an article in the trades just the other day talking about Disney+ is worried that they may not be able to stand up to Netflix and their influx of subscribers, compared to their Q4 numbers.

Nope, you pay for 4 streams in the same home, if you don’t believe me go to your account, click on Recent device streaming activity, it will show what device and the IP address that watched Netflix with dates and times, on mine it showed SMART TV, ROKU, IPAD and Web Browser.

This is what it showed for my Step Father when I set it up

Roku
Michigan (US) - **.**.***.**
Last Used: 12/6/19, 4:58:51 PM GMT-5

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Again, to my previous point, what if I have 4 family members in the same home streaming on 4 different devices, but those devices all have varying IP's? They're all within the same home, so that is not a violation of the T&C and if they were to try and say otherwise I'd bring a class action suit.

I'm fully aware that they log my activity. I get notice every time I log in from a new device. What's your point? I'm only allowed to log in from home on a static IP? I can't travel with my Roku? What about RV'ers? Are they going to get a retroactive bill too? Nah.

To another point, I often have IP's from various states. Today it's Tennessee. Yesterday it was New York.

If they think they're going to be able to only sub to people with static IP's, then that's absurd and completely unenforceable.

Last edited:
Do you have any real source for this info to present it as fact in this way?

I can appreciate a heads up for a possibility, but that has been a rumor for as long as password sharing has been going on, which is basically whenever they launched.

I think the only way for Netflix to enforce what Bruce is talking about would be for them to tie an account to the MAC addresses of up to 4 specific devices. I can't see them going that route as it is impractical. People change devices far too often and the customer experience would be miserable. People would drop their subscriptions in droves.

Reactions: Jimbo and TheKrell