Netflix on Hopper 3 or Roku?

My wife uses channel 370. Much easier for the techno challenged. When we watch it in the LR we use our Apple TV 4K.
Same here. The TV in the family room doesn't have 5.1 or 4K capabilities anyway so that works fine. The TV in the living room, on the other hand, has both so it's either Apple 4K or Roku Ultra there.

Same here. The TV in the family room doesn't have 5.1 or 4K capabilities anyway so that works fine. The TV in the living room, on the other hand, has both so it's either Apple 4K or Roku Ultra there.

My daughter uses Netflix on the Wally because its easier, but if I'm in the living room I switch over to the Roku. I like the DD 5.1 surround and better PQ.

I actually prefer to use the built-in client on my Sony AndroidTV, navigation and PQ seem to be better than the Hopper3 or Roku Premier+ that are also attached to the same TV. The Roku is faster launching with the AndroidTV next then the Hopper3. Getting 5.1 via DD+ and ARC is a bonus too.

My new LG 65 in 4k tv has a button for Netflix and a button for Amazon Prime, which are the two services that I subscribe to. With the internet hooked to the tv, I get Netflix in 4K on the 4k programs. Doesn't your smart 4k tvs have Netflix, which would provide a better picture than going thru the H3 or Roku?

My new LG 65 in 4k tv has a button for Netflix and a button for Amazon Prime, which are the two services that I subscribe to. With the internet hooked to the tv, I get Netflix in 4K on the 4k programs. Doesn't your smart 4k tvs have Netflix, which would provide a better picture than going thru the H3 or Roku?

My TV doesn't have any "smart capabilities" although it is also only a 1080p TV

Perhaps SmartTV apps have gotten better since my 2015 Sony UHD set, but the one on mine is ancient and barely usable. That said, I will probably always prefer a discrete device for streaming. My SmartTVs aren't even connected to my home network. I wish they'd drop the "smart" stuff and just focus on making a great picture or cut the price instead.

I wish they'd drop the "smart" stuff and just focus on making a great picture or cut the price instead.

I would have disagreed before Christmas, but after the difficulties my parents had (still have) with their Samsung Amazon Fire TV, I now agree 100%. I like to have a separate streamer attached to the TV. It's also a lot easier to replace if it breaks, rather than having to haul in the whole TV.

Reactions: ncted
I would have disagreed before Christmas, but after the difficulties my parents had (still have) with their Samsung Amazon Fire TV, I now agree 100%. I like to have a separate streamer attached to the TV. It's also a lot easier to replace if it breaks, rather than having to haul in the whole TV.
I totally agree with you. I have Netflix and Amazon apps on my 4K TV and also on my Roku Ultra, AppleTV 4K, and Firestick 4K. I’m covered every which way.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Doesn't your smart 4k tvs have Netflix, which would provide a better picture than going thru the H3 or Roku?
I'm sure the picture will be better than what the Hopper 3 can provide but against the Roku, it could be close. Some people's eyes might consider the TV better while others consider the Roku better (even on the same TV).

Perhaps SmartTV apps have gotten better since my 2015 Sony UHD set, but the one on mine is ancient and barely usable. That said, I will probably always prefer a discrete device for streaming. My SmartTVs aren't even connected to my home network. I wish they'd drop the "smart" stuff and just focus on making a great picture or cut the price instead.
If your 2015 Sony is on of the AndroidTV models, yes the apps have gotten better. You can download the latest version from the AndroidTV store but of course that would require you to connect the TV to your home network. The AndroidTV ecosystem is one reason I like the Sony SmartTV implementation. But YMMV, and if another streamer works for you then go for it.

I have watched Netflix UHD movies on my Sony XBR-65X900E TV using the Android Netflix app on the TV, my Roku 4400X, and the Hopper3. They all appear the same with a resolution of 3840x2160p (4K). What I have found is that I often have to reset Netflix using the tools menu on the Hopper3 in order to get the 3840x2160p (4K) resolution. Without doing the reset the movie plays in 1080i resolution. All 3 methods seem to use HDR.
When I have some time I plan to move my Amazon 4K Fire Stick from my basement TV to my Sony 4K TV so I can compare it. Currently I use the 4K Fire Stick to watch Dish Anywhere when exercising downstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The only instance where my LG OLED smart picture is better than Roku is on programs with Dolby Vision vs HDR10 on Roku. Otherwise, I don't think one is better than the other, PQ-wise.

If your 2015 Sony is on of the AndroidTV models, yes the apps have gotten better. You can download the latest version from the AndroidTV store but of course that would require you to connect the TV to your home network. The AndroidTV ecosystem is one reason I like the Sony SmartTV implementation. But YMMV, and if another streamer works for you then go for it.

The Android models came out the following year.

The only instance where my LG OLED smart picture is better than Roku is on programs with Dolby Vision vs HDR10 on Roku. Otherwise, I don't think one is better than the other, PQ-wise.

Dolby Vision looks better on my OLED too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)