Netflix shows PCM only?

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I know this has been discussed several times but now that I have our hopper using optical for audio and hdmi direct to our tv instead of using our AV receiver to do this we noticed Netflix on the hopper only shows PCM. On regular dish service the DD5.1 works just fine.

Our hopper is on U345 and I've already done a Netflix settings reset. Is the DD5.1 in Netflix still an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

No one else seeing this?

Yes, I thought this was common knowledge. At least it is so on AVSForum.

Several have suggested the workaround is to run an optical cable from your Dish receiver to your AVR like it's 2005. (For those that don't/can't remember. This is using HDMI/DVI for video only and optical/coax for digital audio.) I haven't tried it. Apparently, you have, and it still doesn't work (via PCM only).

I just tell the Logic 7 of my AVR to "reclaim" the surround sound for Netflix or use my Xbox for Netflix when I HAVE to have the native DD 5.1 (e.g., "Daredevil" and other action oriented Netflix exclusives).

I know this has been discussed several times but now that I have our hopper using optical for audio and hdmi direct to our tv instead of using our AV receiver to do this we noticed Netflix on the hopper only shows PCM. On regular dish service the DD5.1 works just fine.

Our hopper is on U345 and I've already done a Netflix settings reset. Is the DD5.1 in Netflix still an issue?

I know this is an old thread but is this why netflix sounds so bad compared to normal channels on our hopper? It almost sounds tinny, if you know what I mean.

If you run an optical cable from the Hopper to the AVR you will get 5.1...

Not sure if I even have any optical cables lying around anymore, but will check. Seems crazy that they can't figure out how to pass 5.1 audio over HDMI for Netflix on the Hopper 3. It's 2017 for cryin' out loud o_O

Not sure if I even have any optical cables lying around anymore, but will check. Seems crazy that they can't figure out how to pass 5.1 audio over HDMI for Netflix on the Hopper 3. It's 2017 for cryin' out loud o_O
I hear that! I tested several years ago with the optical and it works fine. However that was just a test. I use other sources to watch Netflix via HDMI through my AVR.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I hear that! I tested several years ago with the optical and it works fine. However that was just a test. I use other sources to watch Netflix via HDMI through my AVR.

Me too. I either use my PC connected to my TV, or a Fire Stick, or a blu ray player.... they all work fine for 5.1 on Netflix

I prefer the TV Netflix as it usually streams faster and I control it all from my phone. I know I can cast it to the Hopper, but it is just easier to do it that way and the fiancée stays off my ass.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I prefer the TV Netflix as it usually streams faster and I control it all from my phone. I know I can cast it to the Hopper, but it is just easier to do it that way and the fiancée stays off my ass.
I prefer it on my TV, also. Seems the Hopper App will eventually freeze up and need to be restarted, as others have posted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)