Netflix Starts Testing 4K Video

They haven't even gotten "regular" HD right yet. :rolleyes:

Depending on what Netflix content I'm watching, their 1080p "super HD" streams are head and shoulders above my Dish HD channels. It looks like Netflix's Super HD streams are about 6Mbps. I really doubt the bitrate Dish is using is that high. They are also streaming in 1080p instead of the 720p/1080i available on cable and satellite. People who were disappointed with Netflix HD quality in the past should give them another shot. It looks great on my Apple TV and Roku. It's not as good as blu-ray but it's better than Dish.

Note: Netflix calling this product SuperHD has caused some confusion. These streams are still 1080p not 4K/Ultra HD.

Depending on what Netflix content I'm watching, their 1080p "super HD" streams are head and shoulders above my Dish HD channels. It looks like Netflix's Super HD streams are about 6Mbps. I really doubt the bitrate Dish is using is that high. They are also streaming in 1080p instead of the 720p/1080i available on cable and satellite. People who were disappointed with Netflix HD quality in the past should give them another shot. It looks great on my Apple TV and Roku. It's not as good as blu-ray but it's better than Dish.

Note: Netflix calling this product SuperHD has caused some confusion. These streams are still 1080p not 4K/Ultra HD.

I have a 65Mbps connection, and Netflix's "HD" looks like crap via every STB I've tried it with. Youtube looks better.

I have a 65Mbps connection, and Netflix's "HD" looks like crap via every STB I've tried it with. Youtube looks better.

That definitely isn't the case for me. It looks better than dish on my streaming devices. The one I use most is an Apple TV 3rd gen. I also use it a Roku 2XD and a PS3. None of them look like crap or worse than YouTube. If that is the case for you something isn't right. There are quality settings on the account page of their website.

Yep, and I think they should focus their efforts on having each and every DVD/BD in their lineup available for streaming.

For $8 a month? That is completely unrealistic. New release movie rentals from Dish are $6. iTunes and Amazon rent them out for $5 a piece in most cases. A whole month of Netflix is almost the same price as renting one movie from Dish. There is no way they could offer every single new release as well as their huge library of older TV shows and movies on disk for instant streaming at $8 per month.

I would argue that a service with practically every DVD and Blu-ray on the market available for all you can eat streaming would be worth way more than a cable or satellite subscription. We are probably talking $100+ per month.

Last edited:

You have to take into account your ISP's connection to Netflix. Even if you get a gigabit to your home, if the connection from your ISP to Netflix is overloaded you are not going to get a good picture. This was Netflix's whole argument for their own content distribution network where they would put caching servers and network connections anywhere an ISP wanted to deliver more bandwidth to the end user. Unfortunately many ISPs did not want this because they want to charge for local content delivery.

I don't see it going anywhere until prices come down and most providers won't do anything until prices come down on the TV's!! :) imo

That definitely isn't the case for me. It looks better than dish on my streaming devices. The one I use most is an Apple TV 3rd gen. I also use it a Roku 2XD and a PS3. None of them look like crap or worse than YouTube. If that is the case for you something isn't right. There are quality settings on the account page of their website.

I canceled my account months ago, so I'm not really concerned about it anymore. I was just stating my experience with the service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)