Netflix stops/crashes on 4K joeys

jkharvey

Original poster
Nov 3, 2017
buda tx
I just got my hopper 3 and 2 4K joeys. Issue is Netflix crashes after watching about 10minutes of a movie. Joey will auto tune to satellite then when I try to go back to Netflix the joeys will lock up. Only way to fix is to remove power. I have plenty of bandwidth so I don't think that is the problem. I can stream movies fine on other devices.

Who is your internet provider? I've seen similar reports with regular Joeys where the ISP is Comcast and AT&T, depending in which gateway there is. The solution is a 3rd party router specifically used for connecting the Hopper only or using a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) to provide connectivity to the Hopper

Who is your internet provider? I've seen similar reports with regular Joeys where the ISP is Comcast and AT&T, depending in which gateway there is. The solution is a 3rd party router specifically used for connecting the Hopper only or using a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) to provide connectivity to the Hopper

My ISP provider is spectrum/time warner. I have my own router and do not rent theirs. I can stream from computer or any mobile device or from the hopper without issues. Only joeys are having the crashing issue. I have 1 joey connected using wifi and the other connected with cat 6 cable. Current download speeds around 150mbps upload speeds around 20 Mbps.

My ISP provider is spectrum/time warner. I have my own router and do not rent theirs. I can stream from computer or any mobile device or from the hopper without issues. Only joeys are having the crashing issue. I have 1 joey connected using wifi and the other connected with cat 6 cable. Current download speeds around 150mbps upload speeds around 20 Mbps.
I'm confused. You have the Hopper connected to your internet and you have your joeys connected to it separately? If bridging is enabled on the Hooper it may be causing a conflict in the networking to the Joeys. The Joeys should only be connected to the Hooper for internet connectivity - or I'm misunderstanding your post

Hopper is connected to my wireless network. 1 joey has no ethernet cable so I assume it's wireless the other has a Ethernet cable plugged in. After investigating it appears both joeys are connected wirelessly to my router so I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the joey.

Now I select Netflix then the Netflix screen appears then after about 5 seconds it goes back to live TV. The other joey still crashes and power has to be removed to reset system after Netflix app is selected.

Last edited:
Hopper is connected to my wireless network. 1 joey has no ethernet cable so I assume it's wireless the other has a Ethernet cable plugged in. After investigating it appears both joeys are connected wirelessly to my router so I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the joey.

It's probably not wireless connections to the Joey units--likely MoCA. Is it possible to wire your Hopper? I'd try that.

Now I select Netflix then the Netflix screen appears then after about 5 seconds it goes back to live TV. The other joey still crashes and power has to be removed to reset system after Netflix app is selected.
Try a network reset on the Hopper and then each Joey, and make sure Hopper bridging is enabled.

Did a network reset on hopper then both joeys. Bridging is enabled on hopper and disabled on joeys. Still have same issue unable to load Netflix

Did a network reset on hopper then both joeys. Bridging is enabled on hopper and disabled on joeys. Still have same issue unable to load Netflix
Bridging is what shares the network connection from the Hopper to the Joeys. You don't have to/need to/want to play with the network connections at the Joeys themselves. They're just clients of the Hopper. Picture it like this, the Hopper is your Computer, the Joeys are your monitors - well, it's more involved than that, but that's the basic idea. How your monitor displays information, etc is based on the computer, not the monitor (Unless it's an old VGA :) ), outside of refresh limits, et al.

Are you able to download VOD from they Joeys?
VOD works. I have unplugged everything and even reset my router and all network connections. All devices have a network connection. Still launching Netflix on both joeys causes them to crash.

I guess the 4K joey is not capable of streaming Netflix. Dish needs to either stop advertising this or provide a fix because it doesn't work. I was able to get it working for about 20 minutes then it crashed I have tried everything from hard resets to firmware updates on my router. Time warner support sees no issues with networking and Netflix support sees no issues on their end. Sounds like it's a dish issue. All receivers have an active network connection. Netflix is the only app that crashes the receivers.

I guess the 4K joey is not capable of streaming Netflix. Dish needs to either stop advertising this or provide a fix because it doesn't work. I was able to get it working for about 20 minutes then it crashed I have tried everything from hard resets to firmware updates on my router. Time warner support sees no issues with networking and Netflix support sees no issues on their end. Sounds like it's a dish issue. All receivers have an active network connection. Netflix is the only app that crashes the receivers.
There are many here who have 4K Joeys, and use Netflix without any problem. Have you called tech support to address the problem?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I stream Netflix from a 4K Joey. I’m not home to test at the moment but it always seems to work for me. Hopper 3 is wired.. 4K Joeys connected via Moca. I know there was an update to the H3.. not sure about the 4K Joeys. Perhaps it’s the update? For me, the 4K Joeys works better with Netflix than the hopper.

I just got my hopper 3 and 2 4K joeys. Issue is Netflix crashes after watching about 10minutes of a movie. Joey will auto tune to satellite then when I try to go back to Netflix the joeys will lock up. Only way to fix is to remove power. I have plenty of bandwidth so I don't think that is the problem. I can stream movies fine on other devices.
I saw your post & I can offer this insight. I don't have Dish(which means I don't have a Hopper either), but I do have a Roku 3, & I'll occasionally have Netflix do the same thing that you are describing on it. Hearing that it happens on your Hopper too, makes me wonder of it's a Netflix problem.

Edit: I have Comcast & my Roku is connected wirelessly, so it very well could be a connection problem with me. But hearing your problems just sounds like deja vu to me.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts