Netflix stops/crashes on 4K joeys

I saw your post & I can offer this insight. I don't have Dish(which means I don't have a Hopper either), but I do have a Roku 3, & I'll occasionally have Netflix do the same thing that you are describing on it. Hearing that it happens on your Hopper too, makes me wonder of it's a Netflix problem.

Edit: I have Comcast & my Roku is connected wirelessly, so it very well could be a connection problem with me. But hearing your problems just sounds like deja vu to me.
Good observation. I did have to reboot my Roku a couple of times this weekend. Maybe too much traffic with The Punisher and Longmire coming out at same time.

Update on my 4K Joeys: I was able to stream for an hour or so without any crashing on my 4K Joey.. but it did crash once when first starting the app.. a reboot of the Joey seemed to fix that.

I didn't see this thread before now, but this morning I tried launching Netflix on my 4K Joey and the little spinning "Wait" spinning arc spun for five minutes, totally locking up the 4K Joey. No remote response at all. I had to remove power form the 4K Joey to get the Joey back.

Since my Sony Bravia has a dedicated "Netflix" button on the remote, I can verify that Netflix was available and working fine with the Sony client. I did not try my AppleTV since the Sony worked. When I exited Netflix on the Sony, my 4K Joey was still spinning the "Wait" arc. After that is when I pulled the power from the 4K Joey. I have not tried since.

Edit: So, the first time, I punched in "370" on the keypad and the App crashed twice before returning to the channel I was watching. I then tried launching the App using the Blue button to bring up Apps and selecting the Netflix App. No "Wait" graphic, but no Netflix, either, just the "Netflix" logo and a locked-up 4K Joey.

Not to get off topic, but I have one of these 4K Joeys that I bought back in late August... downsizing now and don't need it anymore... if anybody wants it, send me a PM. New condition, works fine. Last I checked, Netflix streams fine on it also.

I’ve had issue with my wireless joeys NETFLIX in the past after watching about 3 episodes of a series it would freeze up, I would have to back out of it and then go back in for it to work. Now it just tries to load and I get an error saying that it’s not connected to internet. I hope they get it fixed soon

I too had problems with Netflix on my 4K Joeys. Based on the advice above I was going to factory reset the 4K Joey, however, when you enter the factory reset menu you will also find a "Reset Netflix to Defaults" icon. I selected that option and the problem was resolved! You will have to enter your Netflix username and password again.
To get to the menu item select Menu on the remote, then Settings --> Diagnostics --> Tools --> Reset to Factory Defaults --> Reset Netflix to Defaults.

Update: The problem returned after exiting Netflix and going back in. Netflix logo appears but hangs 4K Joey requiring a power disconnect. Resetting Netflix works again but only for that one session. Dish and Netflix need to work this out. Took them over a year to finally get Netflix on the 4K Joey and now its unreliable. Disappointed!

Last edited:
This looks to be resolved now. Netflix is running perfectly on my 4K Joeys. It just started working on its own so I can only assume Dish pushed out an update at some point. My wife and kids are happy. Even though we have smart TVs with Netflix it's just more convenient running Netflix from the Dish Joey using a singe remote.

Reactions: pattykay
I too had problems with Netflix on my 4K Joeys. Based on the advice above I was going to factory reset the 4K Joey, however, when you enter the factory reset menu you will also find a "Reset Netflix to Defaults" icon. I selected that option and the problem was resolved! You will have to enter your Netflix username and password again.
To get to the menu item select Menu on the remote, then Settings --> Diagnostics --> Tools --> Reset to Factory Defaults --> Reset Netflix to Defaults.

Update: The problem returned after exiting Netflix and going back in. Netflix logo appears but hangs 4K Joey requiring a power disconnect. Resetting Netflix works again but only for that one session. Dish and Netflix need to work this out. Took them over a year to finally get Netflix on the 4K Joey and now its unreliable. Disappointed!

Do you reset Netflix to Defaults on the TV connected to the main Hopper or the Joeys? I tried to do this on my TV connected to a Joey (Netflix stalls every few minutes and I am unable to watch it) but when I get to the Reset Netflix to Defaults and answer "Yes" to continue, nothing happens. I have selected it multiple times and answered "Yes" to continue and it just sits there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)