NetFlix/TIVO could save us from the HD DVD format war. If they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markd

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Memphis area
I was thinking about this earlier today and fired off a suggestion email to Netflix.

I really hadn't paid that much attention into the announcement between Netflix and Tivo since I am a DirecTv sub. I assume it has something to do with Netflix downloading rentals to stand-alone TIVOs.?.

What if Netflix and TIVO were to offer HD rentals downloads via broadband when HD DVDs become available? That would save us from having to choose HD-DVD or Blue-Ray for awhile. Of course we would have to buy a stand-alone HD-TIVO when TIVO comes out with them. For people that plan on using a stand-alone TIVO (OTA & cable) this wouldn't be a problem. But for us SAT users, prehaps TIVO could make a lower cost box without tuners that could download from Netflix. Or maybe some kind of lease program with Netflix.

What do you think? Good idea or stupid idea?

sounds like a good idea. someone will eventually have downloadable hd dvds to be able to be played on the computer or have the computer hooked up to the tv.

I thought about if Netflix would allow a multi-meda PC. But you know Hollywood, they would want assurance that we are not making copies and selling them. So I was thinking Tivo could build copy protection in. Of course, that would be hacked probably the day it came out. Just like any other copy protection that comes out.

Heck, thinking about it Netflix could probably create a box or software of their own without Tivo if they wanted to.

Read it. Even the more reason for someone to come out with an alternative. I won't be buying HD-DVD since it would downrez to 480p on my RPTV because my set doesn't havd HDCP.

I don't know that a broadband alternative would be enough to allow Netflix or TIVo to make any money (which would be a something that you know that they will want to do). For one, demand: there is how many HD sets out there? Second, how many people in this country have internet access, let alone broadband access?

I live in an area without DSL or cableDSL, now I could sign up with one of the satellite delivered broadband internet services, but that is way to expensive($50 a month, plus the cost of the equipment) for anything, especially HD-DVD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)