War of the Worlds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

G&T

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
California
So, my brother and I saw 'War of the Worlds' earlier tonight and during the movie I was glued to the screen. There were tons of special effects, and the acting was okay, but after the movie was finished I didn't have that 'Complete' feeling. I was impressed with the movie, but not to the point where I will watch it again... My brother loved it; I don't think I did...

Have any of you seen this movie? What did you think of it? How did you leave the move? (impressed, not impressed, etc.) :confused:

I agree. The movie left me flat. It was good, but not great.

Sort of high on substance, but short on soul?

I felt the same way upon seeing the first Tomb Raider movie (and Star Wars episodes 1-3).

War Of The Worlds

G&T said:
So, my brother and I saw 'War of the Worlds' earlier tonight and during the movie I was glued to the screen. There were tons of special effects, and the acting was okay, but after the movie was finished I didn't have that 'Complete' feeling. I was impressed with the movie, but not to the point where I will watch it again... My brother loved it; I don't think I did...

Have any of you seen this movie? What did you think of it? How did you leave the move? (impressed, not impressed, etc.) :confused:

Hey i saw that movie too. It's ok, but not the best. The cool part was when the lightning struck. It got a little boring when they were in that thingy with that old guy with the shotgun. If you ask me he was dumb to almost shoot that alien. :yes

I saw it this weekend also. It was a good movie, and had an excellent beginning but the ending was very lame.

It had a simmilar plot to Independance Day, but atleast in Independance day the humans fought back and won. This movie didn't have any of that, it was kind of like all of a sudden the movie was over.

Yeah, my wife and I watched it this weekend too. I liked the special effects (the horn sound from the tripods always freaked me out, plus the worm thing looking in the basement), but I agree, the ending was flat. I sat there wondering about the main plotline until the very end when they announce it, and it was lame.

Anybody read the book? I was at my Dad's place up north and they had a room with all the kids' old books. There was my 1965 copy of "War of the Worlds", so I grabbed it to read before seeing the Cruise version. We all got a chuckle about the 69 cent price for a hardbound book...

Attachments

• 1965-WotW.jpg
    1965-WotW.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 117
When I lived in Utica, we did not have a TV for a time, and I had a full cast on a broken leg, so while my girlfried was working, I would listen to NPR, they did the entire original radio 'War of the Worlds', I liked it alot, has anyone else heard the radioed original? I have not read the book Fox, but I think I will after reading your post.

I'm boycotting this movie because Tom Cruise is nuts. I believe the whole shenanigans with Katie were just one big publicity stunt to gain more attention to the movie.

bcshields said:
I'm boycotting this movie because Tom Cruise is nuts. I believe the whole shenanigans with Katie were just one big publicity stunt to gain more attention to the movie.
I don't know about the Katie thing, but the Oprah and Matt Lauer (or how ever you spell his name) were. Anymore and if the actor/actress is a part of the Cult of Scientology, I just avoid the show. The only exception to this is anything that John Travolta is in where he gets killed. Battlefield Earth, while extreamly painful to watch, was made enjoyable by seeing him die in it.

Movie sucked

Did not match the book in the least. Except the opening line and end line

Now, the OTHER War of the Worlds, just out on DVD (NO, not the 1953 one), is exact to the book, 3 hours, and is pretty good, but it is very low budget and a bit boring, since HG Wells writes in old english.

It is supposed to take place in 1898.

Phil

The original War of the Worlds movie had an even lamer ending. All of a sudden the ships start dropping. At least in the new version, we see them get sick and get asmall thrill when the good guys can now shoot them down as their shields are malfunctioning.

I agree that it was similar to Independence Day, but THEY stole from War of the Worlds with a "virus" that stopped the invasion (only they changed it to a computer virus). Nice to know that the aliens in that movie used an Apple operating system (???!!????) or was capable of running an alien emulation program (advanced shields and beam technology but no antivirus software....).

The new movie was OK, but I won't be getting it on DVD when it comes out. Kind of like Minority Report.... once you watch you never need to see it again......

Too much time in the basement

I saw the movie this weekend. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

My only complaint was too much time in the basement with Tim Robbins.

I think they captured teenager emotions pretty well....at least my younger brother. I think little Dakota was terrific.

I was thinking of boycotting because Tom Cruise is such a loser.

I saw the original when it opened in theaters, why does Hollywood think they have to keep trying to do these movies over? The remakes are never as good as the original.

I think Hollywood is out of original ideas. Sad actually.

I may go see Willie Wanka, but only because I was a fan of the origional.

bcshields said:

Agreed. I refuse to see it as well. He's a fruitcake.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think Hollywood is out of original ideas. Sad actually.

I may go see Willie Wanka, but only because I was a fan of the origional.

The original was perfect. Why remake it?

I saw this movie over the weekend. I, like most others here felt it was flat. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. Kind of like cheap pizza :). I think Tom Cruise was a poor choice for this role though.

vurbano said:
The original was perfect. Why remake it?

Supposedly, this one is supposed to be more true to the book. Personally, I never cared much for the original, so I have very little interest in new one.

My Uncle talked about going to see some of the Summer movies ("Star Wars III, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four), and my cousin wants to go see "Wedding Crashers", so I may go see that, but the main movie I want to see is "Serenity".

~Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)