Netflix with 2.35 mb/s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I thought I would share this experience incase any other members find themselves in a similar situation.​
After many years of receiving Netflix DVDs in the mailbox, about a month ago I decided that it was time to update to streaming. My main concern was that I had been perfectly satisfied with my TW "everyday low price" internet connection at $15 per month and a consistent reading of about 2.35 mb/s. The next plan up is 6 mb/s for $50 per month. Everything I had read and been told indicated that I would need to increase the speed and price to successfully stream TV. I finally decided that I would incur the extra cost if needed, but first I was going to take all possible measures to try Netflix with my current bit rate.
I purchased the Roku 4 as it seemed to be the newest technology and highest rated streaming box. I also drilled through an interior wall so I could connect the Roku directly to the modem/router with a 25 foot ethernet cable. When switching from Netflix DVDs to streaming, I chose the 1 screen at a time SD plan as I certainly did not expect full HD and live alone as far as multiple screens are considered.
I have been very pleased with the results. Most selections start out with about 10 to 20 seconds of buffering, but never stop to buffer after that. The resolution as shown by pressing the * button on the Roku starts at a blocky 380 lines but within a minute settles at 480. I would rate the overall picture quality on my 40 inch screen as just very slightly rougher than DVDs, which are 480 of course. The few other "free" channels I have checked on the Roku do not stream as well.
I hope this information proves useful to someone else in the future.​

Yes, I'm streaming on a 3mb Verizon DSL line and the only time it acts up is with an HD source. Anything less than HD is seamless with only rare initial buffering.

my TW "everyday low price" internet connection at $15 per month and a consistent reading of about 2.35 mb/s. The next plan up is 6 mb/s for $50 per month.
You need to call Time Warner and negotiate higher speed for not much more money. You can almost always get them to give you the same deal that "new" customers get. I've never heard of a 6 Mb/s plan from TW either.... I'm sure you can get their "Standard" service, which is 15 Mb/s, for around $35/mo.

The resolution as shown by pressing the * button on the Roku starts at a blocky 380 lines but within a minute settles at 480. I would rate the overall picture quality on my 40 inch screen as just very slightly rougher than DVDs, which are 480 of course.
Netflix says that 5 Mb/s will get you HD quality. If the HD plan doesn't cost more, I'd switch to that. Worst case, if your bandwidth can't keep up, it will automatically reduce the PQ.

The few other "free" channels I have checked on the Roku do not stream as well.
Netflix, in my experience, has excellent infrastructure and well-written apps that make their service as good as it is. I've seen the same as you with other apps - some are good, some are okay, while others are just horrible.

Spectrum (previously Time Warner) increased the speed of their "everyday low price" internet service from 2mb/s to three. I actually always get a bit more than promised and ran a couple of Ookla speed tests at 3.55. I am quite please with the performance of Netflix on their "one screen at a time", SD plan. Shows spend less than a minute at the initial 380 resolution before going to 480.
I tried using Netflix's HD plan (it is only a dollar more a month) but found it causes more buffering and flux of resolution as it keeps trying to get the picture up to 720. I had rather it settle to 480 in the beginning and stay consistent. I have used Netflix DVDs for 8 years and would rate the picture about the same. In fact, the only reason I gave up DVDs is that it is taking the Postal Service 3 to 4 days to get an envelope from Albuquerque to El Paso.
As for trying to negotiate a better deal from my ISP, call me old fashioned or something. I know many people regularly switch services or threaten to do so and get on the phone and plead for a better temporary deal. I just hate that! I had rather have a service at a set price within my budget and work with what I have.

Reactions: andy_horton
I wouldn't call and threaten anything, but often times just asking nicely can get you what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Good thing is netflix is bettering their compression schemes, and while it may require a newer streaming box that can handle VP9, if the one you own does not have that, it will allow better PQ with the same speeds.

I actually am quite pleased with the picture quality and there has been very little to no buffering, even in the beginning of a show. I would rate new material as equal to DVD quality, to which I am so very accustomed. I have watched some older TV shows that were not in HD when they were originally aired and some of them are a bit blurry. I have no idea what methods the Roku 4 uses and am aware there is a newer model, but frankly would not spend upwards of $100 for any slight improvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)