Network Access for Joeys

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I feel like I have seen conflicting information about this, so I'll ask here.

I've got a tech coming to install a Hopper and 1 Joey today. I'll have the Hopper connected to the internet via ethernet. My question is if they joey's inherently feed off the internet from the Hopper.

I want the Joey to be connected to the network, but the router is too far away to run ethernet. So do I need a wireless adapter or will I be all set with the enthernet connected to the hopper?

I mainly want to know if I need to ask the tech for a wireless adapter or an HIC.

Thanks

You would use an HIC. that's how mine is hooked up. MY hopper/Joeys were installed at first release. Yesterday I finally had the HIC installed. Didn't know of the device. They came out last weekend to install it but the tech didn't know how to do the install and though the job was to put in an HIC he didn't come with one. All works great on all tvs.

Well I guess I'll just hide that ethernet cable. Technically my router is 40 feet from the hopper, but I have 50ft of Cat 6 running back there. I'll just hide it and then I'll get my HIC :D

Just make sure you have coax and ethernet access in the same room for the tech to put a HIC. They probably won't run new coax just for the HIC. They'll go wifi adapter instead to the hopper before running dedicated coax to the router.