Networking a VIP 722 questions

Car nut

Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Hello all, new guy here. I was looking for info on how to network my VIP 722 into my wireless network and stumbled across this. Cool, now I have some quick questions.

I am not the best at networking. I'd hate to buy something and try and hook up only to find out that there are more hurdles to jump. My XBox 360 is on my protected network, which I had little problems doing. Will I have problems getting the VIP 722 into my WEP protected network?

So, now I have the VIP 722 on my network. Can I download content from my DVR onto my computer? Any fees involved? I'm an HD nut and I am almost certain my receiver HD will get full eventually. I have plenty of hard drive space on my other computers.

BTW, what format are the recordings in? I travel and it would be nice to take my favorite shows with me on my laptop to watch at my leisure.

Thanks in advance. :up

Car Nut :welcome to SatellieGuys

Depending on the device, i normally set up the wireless on my PC first to make sure it's connecting etc, and doing any configuration, i dont think the 722 will provide for you to configure WEP or WPA passwords etc, like the games boxes do, wii or xbox.

The content on the DVR is encrypted, so you wont be able to copy to your PC, sorry !

The basic reson for the network connection, as of now, is to remove the need for a phone line, and the ability to order dish on demand movies, do ppv and i think that's it right now. Other things are coming, but those that have been around a while are not holding their breath.

Hope that helps

722 will allow for passwords-go through the setup procedure, and eventually you'll be asked for the password once it discovers the network. I'm using WPA, but assume it will also support WEP.

Car Nut :welcome to SatellieGuys

Depending on the device, i normally set up the wireless on my PC first to make sure it's connecting etc, and doing any configuration, i dont think the 722 will provide for you to configure WEP or WPA passwords etc, like the games boxes do, wii or xbox.

The content on the DVR is encrypted, so you wont be able to copy to your PC, sorry !

The basic reson for the network connection, as of now, is to remove the need for a phone line, and the ability to order dish on demand movies, do ppv and i think that's it right now. Other things are coming, but those that have been around a while are not holding their breath.

Hope that helps

Yes, that definately helps, thank you. Seems that there is no real reason for me to bother adding it to my wireless network.

I presume the only reason to plug an external HD into the DVR is for more storage space.

You would add it to your network to allow you to use the broadband connection in lieu ofa phone line and to enable DISh Online. BTW the lattter is of limited value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts