"networking" the Coolsat 8100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Basically I'm still trying to think of how I would "fool" the USB port of the 8100 HD to be networked so it can access my PC's slave drive for content.

(Transferring tp0 files to my drive and then re-connecting is a pain in the butt)

Here's the deal:

#1. I'm too lazy to author up any DVDs for viewing downloaded video material.

#2. I'm also not in the mood to convert a bunch of videos to .tp0 format for future viewing on the 8100

So...if I were to get some form of a USB hard drive that can be "networked" via wireless so I can freely view "tp0" files on my coolsat over a network.

Lehman's terms:

I go to watch a file on the 8100 and instead of it accessing a physical drive, it's accessing what it thinks is a physical drive but is actually an ethernet interface.

(therefore accessing my PC that has the tp0 files that I'd rather not move from one end to another)

Basically I'm still trying to think of how I would "fool" the USB port of the 8100 HD to be networked so it can access my PC's slave drive for content.

(Transferring tp0 files to my drive and then re-connecting is a pain in the butt)

Here's the deal:

#1. I'm too lazy to author up any DVDs for viewing downloaded video material.

#2. I'm also not in the mood to convert a bunch of videos to .tp0 format for future viewing on the 8100

So...if I were to get some form of a USB hard drive that can be "networked" via wireless so I can freely view "tp0" files on my coolsat over a network.

Lehman's terms:

I go to watch a file on the 8100 and instead of it accessing a physical drive, it's accessing what it thinks is a physical drive but is actually an ethernet interface.

(therefore accessing my PC that has the tp0 files that I'd rather not move from one end to another)

I was wanting to do the same thing, and I THOUGHT that I had found a solution when I found an external hard drive that had multiple inputs/outputs, and I thought that I could access the hard drive from my computer while the 8100 was also using it. However after I got it, I found that it only allowed you to use one port at a time. I think the thing had 3 USB ports, but you could only use one at a time, which seemed like a waste of ports if you have to unplug one to use the other.
On my Diamond, I just plug one of those thumb drives into the USB port, and it's pretty convenient to take that to my computer, but the darn 8100 has the USB port on the back, so it's a major operation to get to it.
Yeah, that would be nice, to be able to fool the 8100 to connect to a computer.

The Vantage and AZBox both can record to an external USB Drive that a PC can connect to over a network via FTP.
The AZBox also has "regular" file sharing, like sharing a folder on a PC, but I have yet to try it.

The Vantage and AZBox both can record to an external USB Drive that a PC can connect to over a network via FTP.
The AZBox also has "regular" file sharing, like sharing a folder on a PC, but I have yet to try it.

I guess I'm still unclear re what you're saying... is the Azbox connecting to the drive via FTP or the computer?
Where do you find an external drive that has an FTP server? Or are you saying that you have a computer with a hard drive and you have an FTP server running, that the Azbox connects to?
I guess I'll have to look more into this Azbox thing. I tried finding info on it a couple days ago, but even though it says that there are ATSC and DVB-S2 tuner cards for it, I never found any place that sold these accessories.
Where did you get yours, and what accessories do you have for it?? Sounds interesting. Does it do high speed HD? DVB-S2???

I guess I'm still unclear re what you're saying... is the Azbox connecting to the drive via FTP or the computer?
You connect a regular external USB Drive to the Sat receiver, thats where it records to, the receiver has built-in FTP software that allows access to the USB Drive. You could then upload files from a PC to the USB Drive attached to the Receiver, and play them on the Sat receiver.

Where did you get yours
I got mine from Rick's Satellite.
Check Ebay too.

All other questions should be answered in the Review section....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/

On my Diamond, I just plug one of those thumb drives into the USB port, and it's pretty convenient to take that to my computer, but the darn 8100 has the USB port on the back, so it's a major operation to get to it.

Get a < $5 USB extension cable and call it good. :)

Also you could get a Linksys NSLU2 (compuplus has them for $19.95 right now!) which is a USB -> Ethernet "Network Attached Storage" (NAS) server. You could unplug the drive from the 8100 and plug it into the NSLU2 then go access it from the computer. When you're done copying you could plug the drive back to the 8100. As long as the NSLU2 is right next to the 8100 it would be almost painless. Just plug in the USB cable and the power cable and by the time you get to the PC the thing should be up and ready to serve files.

That would be $25 + shipping for a extension cable & NSLU2. Seems like it would work ok, but not as good as just ftp'ing to an Azbox.

Heck I have almost talked myself into buying one. :)

That would be $25 + shipping for a extension cable & NSLU2. Seems like it would work ok, but not as good as just ftp'ing to an Azbox.

Heck I have almost talked myself into buying one. :)
Me too! ....and I dont even have anything FTA that is usb compliant......lol
Sounds pretty neat for the price. Are these new boxes Linux based? That seems vaguely familiar to some of the X-Box mods I've read about.
I sure wish you guys would hurry and get the bugs banged out of these new S2 boxes......hehehehe. I may be the only cheap b@stard willing to admit waiting in the wings for the Beta guinea pigs to get the bugs ironed out, but I'll bet I'm not the only one doing it!

Of my Receivers with Etherent, the AZBox is Linux, Vantage is not.

If you feel you're not missing anything, then wait.
That kinda what I was thinking, I'm not in a hurry. Hell, I barely sit still long enough to watch something I'm interested in as it is.......lol.
Thanks for the input. Not trying to put you on the spot but do you suppose that the linux based box will obtain open source support status from the Linux gurus? Does it seem to parallel the Dreambox, CaptiveWorks, Triple Dragon, etc, development and objective targets? (meaning feature devopment aspects, Not Piracy...lol)
As much trash as I talk about M$ bloatware and flakey OS, it is a 'comfortable place' because I know my way around, more or less and know what to expect. Kind like an old winter fishing coat. It stinks, but ya' wear it anyway 'cause it fills the need.....lol
Learning Linux to the same level or greater would be much easier if I had an in person associate/tutor in my circle, but alas we are all Windoze slaves.
I do apreciate you guys on the front line....keep up the good work/reviews.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts