networking

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, you can not use the USB port on the HR20 for a network connection, you must use the ethernet adapter on the HR20, but that can connect via a wireless ethernet adapter if needed.

Can I use a usb wireless adapter with HR20. If so how do i do it?

thanks for all the help

No, you have to connect the HR20 to a Wireless Game Adapter or Wireless Bridge using an ethernet cable.
I'm using a D-link DWL-G820 Gaming/Bridge Adapter, works perfectly. I have seen others reporting using Linksys and Buffalo WGAs/bridges successfully.

Ok, so why network it? Is is just for VOD or can they share recordings?

Right now it's for DoD (DirecTV on Demand) and Media Share (view JPEG's and listen to MP3's from network attached PC). The unconfirmed rumors are that Media Share will also get capability for video from a PC and multi room viewing (share recordings) somewhere in the future.

I'm not sure I would go with a wireless adapter if this thing is supposed to ever stream video or do VOD over ethernet. You are just asking for trouble. Hardwire it.

I'm not sure I would go with a wireless adapter if this thing is supposed to ever stream video or do VOD over ethernet. You are just asking for trouble. Hardwire it.

Unless it's an 802.11b network for most folks wireless should be OK since the internet connection itself will be the slowest component in the configuration. Of course, if gong wired is possible then that is the best way to go but may not be possible for some.

I would hardwire too IF you can do it neat & clean, BUT I do stream video via a wireless"G" setup running near 108mbps with almost zero issues. I could see issues depending on how many other things you were doing simultaneously.

I would hardwire too IF you can do it neat & clean, BUT I do stream video via a wireless"G" setup running near 108mbps with almost zero issues. I could see issues depending on how many other things you were doing simultaneously.

I'm running wireless-g as well, with the VOD beta. The nice thing about VOD is that you can start playing the download before it has completed, so you don't have to wait to watch.

I'm running wireless-g as well, with the VOD beta. The nice thing about VOD is that you can start playing the download before it has completed, so you don't have to wait to watch.

Unless you have a super-fast connection it will catch up fairly quickly. My network is 54 Mbps, but my WiMax internet connection is only 1.5 Mbps.

Yep I would think a user would need at least a 3mbps connection from their ISP. Faster is always better, right! LOL I think my 6 is on the edge of too slow sometimes (but thats just my imagination); I run 108mbps on the home net and the only thing I have on a wireless bridge is one of the kids' ReplayTV DVR so I can D/L shows he wants to keep onto my PC for burning.

Somewhere in these forums I saw a step-by-step Networking set-up for WMP11 sharing between your WIN XP pc and the HR-20; but I can't find that string. I have a wireless home network in place with a main PC and router and three other PC's on the wireless network. How do I add the HR-20 via wireless to this network? Step by step help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Somewhere in these forums I saw a step-by-step Networking set-up for WMP11 sharing between your WIN XP pc and the HR-20; but I can't find that string. I have a wireless home network in place with a main PC and router and three other PC's on the wireless network. How do I add the HR-20 via wireless to this network? Step by step help would be appreciated.

Just purchase one of the following devices or one that does the same thing. You only need to setup the device to attach to your wireless network and then plug your HR20 into it by a Ethernet cable.

I prefer the Buffalo Ethernet converter over the other since it adds 4 Ethernet ports for the same a a little less of the cost.

Buffalo Technology - Products - Wireless-G MIMO Performance* Ethernet Converter

Wireless Gaming Adapter - DWL-G820 Wireless Gaming Adapter by D-Link

Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Entertainment/Game Adapters/WGA54G

My whole house is wired up with cat-5, how should I proceed to set up for this? I have no boxes, just the wiring so far.

Connect the HR20 to your router with cat-5, just like any other box on your network. I recall that DHCP was already enabled, so going to "network" on the setup menu should take you through the steps (you can set up a static IP if you wish). You may have to do something on your media server to enable sharing, depending on the software you use.

Just purchase one of the following devices or one that does the same thing. You only need to setup the device to attach to your wireless network and then plug your HR20 into it by a Ethernet cable.

I prefer the Buffalo Ethernet converter over the other since it adds 4 Ethernet ports for the same a a little less of the cost.

Buffalo Technology - Products - Wireless-G MIMO Performance* Ethernet Converter

Wireless Gaming Adapter - DWL-G820 Wireless Gaming Adapter by D-Link

Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Entertainment/Game Adapters/WGA54G

So, just set one of these devices beside the DVR with it plugged into it and have it recognized by the router and you are set?

Connect the HR20 to your router with cat-5, just like any other box on your network. I recall that DHCP was already enabled, so going to "network" on the setup menu should take you through the steps (you can set up a static IP if you wish). You may have to do something on your media server to enable sharing, depending on the software you use.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure I'll be back with more Q's when I get around to setting this up. I'm waiting for the VOD before I start into this.

when is the VOD service going to be live for actual use? no use of me hooking this up now cause i don't care about sharing media from my computer since my computer is hooked up to the tv as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)