Networks Refuse Google TV

We need to have Congress authorize the FCC to oversee re-transmission. If it has commercial content, it is FREE - no exceptions - on any re-transmission. Accordingly, the re-transmit providers, ie: Dish, Comcast, Cablevision, Direct, et al, should not be allowed to place any kind of a mark-up on re-transmit material - with the exception of recapturing their ACTUAL AVERAGE COST PER CUSTOMER.
And do you calculate that cost per customer based on the market? There's going to be more customers in New York City than in Podunk, IA. Therefore the cost per customer in NYC would be cheaper. Do you think folks in Podunk should pay more than those in NYC?

Next question... according to your statement above, ALL (ok, 95%+) stations would be subject to this. ESPN has commercials. Disney has commercials, MTV has commercials. So they should be free to the viewers also, right?

Last but not least... what happens once Dish/Direc/Cable reccaptures their cost? Does the subscriber fee go away?

I thought we defeated communism?

Do you know what communism is? China which is the biggest communist state is the biggest capitalist country in the world. communism is a form of government it has notthing to do with the economy. If this was a communist country then you would have to tow the party line of be thrown in jail.

And do you calculate that cost per customer based on the market? There's going to be more customers in New York City than in Podunk, IA. Therefore the cost per customer in NYC would be cheaper. Do you think folks in Podunk should pay more than those in NYC?

Next question... according to your statement above, ALL (ok, 95%+) stations would be subject to this. ESPN has commercials. Disney has commercials, MTV has commercials. So they should be free to the viewers also, right?

Last but not least... what happens once Dish/Direc/Cable reccaptures their cost? Does the subscriber fee go away?

Well I don't know if I would use commercials to determine them. Maybe if the channel is broadcasting on the public airwaves. Although now days, I don't think there is such a thing as "public airwaves" anymore except for a few specific technologies. Stations that are owned by the big networks have more respect for their shareholders and their eye set on making a profit instead of serving the public.

If they are going to lambaste us with idiotic, overly loud, inane commercials then the content on those channels should be FREE - PERIOD - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Dish, and all other carriers, should be allowed to charge for the equipment, up-link costs, satellite maintenance and launch costs, etc - on an ongoing basis, so they will be ensured a business model whereby they would be reimbursed for their ACTUAL COSTS, plus a REASONABLE PROFIT.

I don't know what those costs amount to, but Dish could certainly validate a reasonable cost based on their subscriber base that would be FAR below what we are being stuck with now.

Under the present model, what Fox, and others are proposing is unsustainable larceny. At some point, they are going to collapse the entire pay broadcast system because no one will be able to afford to pay for it.

If they are going to lambaste us with idiotic, overly loud, inane commercials then the content on those channels should be FREE - PERIOD - NO EXCEPTIONS.
Now that's funny. No, really, you made me laugh. So what happens when the "idiotic, overly loud, inane commercials" are being inserted by the cable/sat provider? You do know they do that, correct? I've also had the "level" difference on "non-local" (ie: TBS, TNT, Disney, etc) channels. So should those be free?
Dish, and all other carriers, should be allowed to charge for the equipment, up-link costs, satellite maintenance and launch costs, etc - on an ongoing basis, so they will be ensured a business model whereby they would be reimbursed for their ACTUAL COSTS, plus a REASONABLE PROFIT.

I don't know what those costs amount to, but Dish could certainly validate a reasonable cost based on their subscriber base that would be FAR below what we are being stuck with now.
Wow, where to start... I get what you're saying on the costs. However, how much cost do you really think there is DEDICATED to LiL? I've been to DirecTV's LiL pickup for my town. I'm assuming Dish's is similar. I'm going to GUESS $500,000 on the outside for equipment costs. I don't know how much the cost is to get from the local headend to Direc/Dish. But just so you know, 8300 subscribers paying $5 a month will put $500,000 into a companies coffer in a YEAR! I'm guessing the LiL headends are paid off (equipment wise) within a year or two.

Under the present model, what Fox, and others are proposing is unsustainable larceny. At some point, they are going to collapse the entire pay broadcast system because no one will be able to afford to pay for it.
Just to make sure I'm clear... I'm only talking about LiL... not the FX/RSNs/etc.

Interesting. Most everyone else does just the opposite. ;)

Small amount of sleep last night, due to the little one having a tummy bug. I figure you probably know what I meant, though. I noticed errors in most everything I posted this morning (spelling). I suppose when I am tired, I should step away from the computer :)

Small amount of sleep last night, due to the little one having a tummy bug. I figure you probably know what I meant, though. I noticed errors in most everything I posted this morning (spelling). I suppose when I am tired, I should step away from the computer :)

Yeah, I knew what you meant. Just having a little fun with you. :D

They just have an issue with platforms they don't control or have a fee system in place for being able to access their website. Cell phone users have been dealing with that kind of thing for some time now.

Didn't Engadget post an article that the network ban can easily be bypassed by changing a software slider that causes the unit to present itself as a generic browser? You lose the GoogleTV centric interactivity on other sites but you can easily switch it back. Don't let the block stop you from getting the unit.

Didn't Engadget post an article that the network ban can easily be bypassed by changing a software slider that causes the unit to present itself as a generic browser? You lose the GoogleTV centric interactivity on other sites but you can easily switch it back. Don't let the block stop you from getting the unit.
Hulu caught that and now check via Flash someway. And as I have posted in several other threads I have been able to view full episodes on NBC, CBS and Fox. ABC uses Flash so Google TV, cell phones, iPod Touch and iPads are out of luck. Although I read on the ABC site today there is an iPad app so maybe the Androids and Googles will get one. Too bad there aren't more Revue users to help combat the myths that are running rampant. I have yet to see an article by someone who wrote "I tried to view an episode of whatever on whichever network on a Revue and found it blocked." I do read a lot of "they said".

I think it's great GTV has flash, it would be the nail in their coffin if it didn't. I think dish is either a lilttle ahead of its time or has some REAL crap marketing/management (probably a combo of both, mostly being the latter), but the 922 is a huge flop and so will google tv for dish only because of it's outrageous fees. if dish came out with a DUAL tuner (not like the 922) with built in slingbox and GTV, they would become a force to be reckoned with. In all honesty at the way things dish is doing now, I don't expect them to be around the next few years...

I think it's great GTV has flash, it would be the nail in their coffin if it didn't. I think dish is either a lilttle ahead of its time or has some REAL crap marketing/management (probably a combo of both, mostly being the latter), but the 922 is a huge flop and so will google tv for dish only because of it's outrageous fees. if dish came out with a DUAL tuner (not like the 922) with built in slingbox and GTV, they would become a force to be reckoned with. In all honesty at the way things dish is doing now, I don't expect them to be around the next few years...

Dish will be around. They are doing fine. I also believe a receiver with Google TV built in will in fact happen. Beyond that, I think that project will be lucrative to Google from an advertising standpoint and they will write the software for the entire box.

cditty said:
Dish will be around. They are doing fine. I also believe a receiver with Google TV built in will in fact happen. Beyond that, I think that project will be lucrative to Google from an advertising standpoint and they will write the software for the entire box.

It is the new VIP 924

The good news with Google TV vs. Apple TV is that most of the source code will be available at some point. That means it is only a matter of time before these blocks are removed. Hulu, etc are all being blocked by a simple flash cookie and I am sure that there will be a workaround soon. It looks like computer nerds the world wide are well on their way to rooting the google device...

What is the real problem with networks blocking their content from Google TV? You can find that content streaming in lots of other places, except completely stripped of advertising. So by forcing savvy users to go elsewhere, the networks are in effect shooting themselves in the foot. Unlike many of the app devices out there today like phones and the ipad, Google TV has a full fledged browser. So, if I can't watch my favorite show on say, NBC.com, I can just do a google search for that show and find an alternative streaming flash viewing option.

Yes, that is a bit shady...but it is the reality of the web. I'd much rather have piece of mind and watch shows directly through their rightful distributor, but there are alternatives and there is nothing the networks can do to reign them in. The genie has been let out of the bottle.

So the networks are left to decide: Evolve their monetization strategies and take advantage of these new realities or die.

Last edited:
Google TV does NOT have Flash. That is why you can't watch ABC videos on Android phones with Google Android. Steve Jobs does not like Flash. That's why you can't watch ABC on your iThing. And there will be many like me that use a Logitech Revue or other Google TV device with their Dish DVR and not integrate it. I am using mine with a 922 now and don't plan on integrating it.

Last night I was able to watch a full episode of The Event on NBC.COM but was unable to watch an episode of Undercover Boss on CBS.COM (was told they were unable to stream to my device)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts