Never ending Wally problems.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
We have been installing Dish (and DTV for that matter) for 20 years, we do well over 95% Dish. I haven't seen a more trouble plagued receiver than the Wally in a very long time, if ever. Continually locking up every few days, needing to be unplugged to be fixed is the biggest issue and has been going on for at least a year.

The latest Software 4.30 was supposed to have fixed that, and it did for a few days, now we have customers calling in with non functioning guides and the time is 4 hours off, even our show room unit is doing the same thing...

Dish, Please get your act together and get this fixed.... We have Wally's in numerous commercial locations, and the customers aren't happy about it. Sometimes the Wally is not easily accessed, making unplugging it difficult.

Some retailer/installers have installed AC timers that effectively hard reboots them at night as a work around, but it is embarrassing as a representative of Dish at best to need to do that... And who is paying for the timers? certainly not Dish...

Again, PLEASE FIX THIS!

(We are in communication with the highest levels of Dish Commercial tech support, I am hoping "DIRT" will see this and maybe apply pressure from a different angle.)

The ability to run 8 wally's on 1 line (originally 16-that's a different story...), is really cool. If they ever get the D**n things working right, they have potential.

They are definitely nice, when they work right.

The ability to run 8 wally's on 1 line (originally 16-that's a different story...), is really cool.
Does this actually work at this time? (I haven't heard about this feature except for when the Wally first came out saying it would be coming)

We have been installing Dish (and DTV for that matter) for 20 years, we do well over 95% Dish. I haven't seen a more trouble plagued receiver than the Wally in a very long time, if ever. Continually locking up every few days, needing to be unplugged to be fixed is the biggest issue and has been going on for at least a year.

The latest Software 4.30 was supposed to have fixed that, and it did for a few days, now we have customers calling in with non functioning guides and the time is 4 hours off, even our show room unit is doing the same thing...

Dish, Please get your act together and get this fixed.... We have Wally's in numerous commercial locations, and the customers aren't happy about it. Sometimes the Wally is not easily accessed, making unplugging it difficult.

Some retailer/installers have installed AC timers that effectively hard reboots them at night as a work around, but it is embarrassing as a representative of Dish at best to need to do that... And who is paying for the timers? certainly not Dish...

Again, PLEASE FIX THIS!

(We are in communication with the highest levels of Dish Commercial tech support, I am hoping "DIRT" will see this and maybe apply pressure from a different angle.)

As a DISH dealer, don't you have a more direct communication line to DISH than posting your plea on a public bulletin board. It seems like they would have a phone line dedicated to their dealers, with advanced reps at the other end to troubleshoot problems of this sort. Just asking.

Reactions: HipKat
The ability to run 8 wally's on 1 line (originally 16-that's a different story...), is really cool. If they ever get the D**n things working right, they have potential.
The reason it's a different story is the Dual Tuner added on. Sounds like you're seeing this in commercial installs? Something definitely isn't right because I've never even heard of some of these problems (4 hours off????)

Reactions: pattykay
Does this actually work at this time? (I haven't heard about this feature except for when the Wally first came out saying it would be coming)
Yes, you have to use a DPH42 Switch with Channel stacking splitters

My Wally acts up from time to time, maybe once or twice a month. Yes it's annoying but it's not too often for me. The recent update that enabled the 2nd SAT tuner for recording and being able to use the 2nd tuner on the dual OTA module make it bearable :)

We have Wally's in numerous commercial locations, and the customers aren't happy about it. Sometimes the Wally is not easily accessed, making unplugging it difficult.
Are you only seeing these problems in commercial installations? Does resetting the Wally through the menu fix these problems, or does it always have to be unplugged before it will work properly?

In a normal residential installation, the only daily quirk I have noticed is that the Wally will do a check of my external hard drive at around 4:30 each morning, and when that is done, the Wally turns back on by itself. After that, if there is no activity (no button presses, etc.) the four-hour inactivity shutdown will not work properly. After any activity, though, the Wally will properly go into standby after four hours of inactivity, until the next daily hard drive test.

Yes, and you don't even need a DPH42 switch, you can just use a DPH lnb and stand alone power supply from DPH42 or even DPP44(but that requires a little trick in the slitter config)

Reactions: charlesrshell
As a DISH dealer, don't you have a more direct communication line to DISH than posting your plea on a public bulletin board. It seems like they would have a phone line dedicated to their dealers, with advanced reps at the other end to troubleshoot problems of this sort. Just asking.

Yes, as stated in the final line of my original post. But the problems have existed for a good year or more now, and it is really getting frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)