This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Never Going Back to Dish

GreatMac

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Since hearing that 10 of the Voom 21 HD channels are moving to Dish, I called Dish today to swith back. Had forgotten how bad they were: after half an hour wait, I got a rep who had no idea what Voom or Voom channels were. He transferred me to another department, but since nobody picked up, after 20 minutes I gave up.

Called back later. Less wait, but the woman who answered had never heard of Voom channels. Transferred me to a supervisor, who turned out to be a women named Chris.

She had the vocabulary and manners of someone who did not qualify as a DMV hire, and kept telling me that I still have my old Dish equipment, which I have purchased years ago (I was with Dish for 7 years before Voom), so I am not eligible for any discounts or promos. I told her I have sold the DVR and all I have in a closet is a seven year old SD receiver, which I don't want to use.

At the end, she accused me of lying that I don't have my old Dish equipment. Told me that as long as it is not activated in someone else's name, Dish considers it mine, thus I will not be eligible for any promos and will have to purchase each box for $300.

When I asked to speak to someone else, she told me there is no one else: she is THE SUPERVISOR. Amazing! I had been with them for 7 years. Guess this is Dish's reward for being a previous customer.

I miss Voom and I miss the Voom 21 programming, but I am not going back to Dish. Hopefully, others will pick up VOOM 21, and I will go with them.

P.S. When I asked about the transition to MPEG4, I was told that the 942 and the HD boxes will not work with it, but that Dish MAY offer a discount on their new MPEG4 equipment to 942 owners. Judging by my experience today, I wouldn't hold my breath.