Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Last night I received a boatload of information about the new 118.7 orbital location for various sources, while I posted the information last night for our supporting pub members, it actually took me to today to digest it and put it in perspective better for all.

So here we go.

The good news is if your a HD fan you probably got everything you need now to enjoy HD, you will NOT need to swap out your Dish for a new Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+ dish.

You will only need a Dish 500+ or Dish 1000+ if you want internationals or if you are in one of the 5 areas where Dish is planning on offering LIL HD services from 118.7. (See below)

Now I should note that because none of this information is "Official" yet I must label it as a rumor, in addition some of what is found below is not written in stone yet and could change by the time 118.7 is available.

It appears we will have some VERY heavy channel shuffling coming up in the near future, here is the Satellite Lineup that Dish plans on using.

110 SD Core Programming and SD LIL's
118.7 This new Satellite will host internationals HD LIL's
119 SD Core Programming and SD LIL's
129 National HD and HD LIL's

When I read this last night I was shocked they planned on using 129 for National HD, especially when many areas can not receive 129 or have reception issues, hopefully the new Dish 1000.2 fixes some of these issues.

What is not mentioned in this Satellite Layout is 61.5 and 148. While I have no idea what they plan on doing it was pointed out by many of our Pub Members that it looks like they will clear a bunch of internationals off of 61.5 and put them on 118.7 and will probably use 61.5 for a secondary national HD satellite and it will probably closely mirror 129.

Now a big question I have been getting has been what are the 5 HD lil's will be on 118.7. Here is the tentative answer (again everything is subject to change) Here are the 5 HD LIL's which are scheduled to be on 118.7 Detroit, St Louis, Indianapolis, Releigh and possibly Lexington.

Now as far as internationals go there will be a lot, and here is a list again this is tentative... Italian, Polish, French, Armenian, African, Farsi, German, Greek, Chineese, Japanese amoung others.

What is interesting on one Powerpoint that was sent to me it said that the new 118.7 FSS satellite transponders use circular polarization. I am not sure if that is a misprint or not.

And there you have it, the latest information on 118.7 from your friends here at SatelliteGuys.US!

Scott-
Excellent post. Keep us updated on the status of 61.5 - especially since here in the NE we can't see 129. I'm hoping they make it a complete mirror of 129 - as far as HD goes.

psumattDE said:
Scott-
Excellent post. Keep us updated on the status of 61.5 - especially since here in the NE we can't see 129. I'm hoping they make it a complete mirror of 129 - as far as HD goes.
I have a feeling this is what they are going to do. :)

Thats good news! Plus makes sense due too then they dont half to go out and replace alot of Dish's . So things stay the same execept for internationals which is a small part of their custmomers. Again there might be some folks that might need a diffrent dish to get better singal due to where they live with the 129. But for most folks everyone should be fine and should only need one dish. Thanks Scott For The Info!!

I thought 61.5 was already a complete mirror of 129- as far as national HD goes.

No?

That should be interesting if St Louis HD channels are on the 118. We are going to have to go back out to all of these houses where we are putting up Dish1000's for Mpeg4 receviers, to upgrade their dishes. O well, job security

Nice news.

But, ATT/Dish isn't offering current subscribes new equipment (MPEG 4 receivers), only new customers. So, for me to see new national HD or my Detroit HD locals, I'm out of luck. I currently have AEP + HD Pak + VOOM; Dish1000, 2 311s and 2 811s. I've called and called and called to get a 211 for an 811 or a 622 and get rid of an 811 and 311. No dice.

I understand things are not in stone (that the 118.7 will have Detroit or not), but come on. I can't get any of the MPEG4 (ish) channels from VOOM or Natiaonl. If they are going to partner with a company, let us have the same damn equipment!

Thats more of an AT&T issue then a Dish Issue.

Dish would LOVE to sell you a MPEG4 receiver, AT&T seems like they dont want you to have one.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you deal with a middleman (AT&T) unfortunately Dish has no control over what SBC offers its customers.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thats more of an AT&T issue then a Dish Issue.

Dish would LOVE to sell you a MPEG4 receiver, AT&T seems like they dont want you to have one.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you deal with a middleman (AT&T) unfortunately Dish has no control over what SBC offers its customers.

I understand. I still can be mad though, right? ;)

E11 I recall has the switchable circular/linear option.

AMC 16 Ku payload 24x36 Lineaized TWTA 140 Watt

Yeah St Louis HD Locals probally will be on the 129 like most in the Midwest are.

Scott Greczkowski said:
What is interesting on one Powerpoint that was sent to me it said that the new 118.7 FSS satellite transponders use circular polarization. I am not sure if that is a misprint or not.

Missprint - AMC 16 is only temporary until Anik F3 is launched. F3 is a twin of Anik F1R - and will act also as an inorbit spare for Anik F1/F1R/F2. Probably the reason, that Dish will not use it for core SD or HD.

Ciel 2, to be launched to 129 in 2008; is an Alcatel satellite which will have spotbeams for the 16 frequencies that Dish will use.

Well, at least it answers my question about why they wouldn't give me a 1000 last month - now what are they going to charge me for this new dish? If i had waited another couple of months I would have gotten it for free. Oh, I am in the Detroit area with a 61.5 dish...

Last edited:
token said:
Nice news.

But, ATT/Dish isn't offering current subscribes new equipment (MPEG 4 receivers), only new customers. So, for me to see new national HD or my Detroit HD locals, I'm out of luck. I currently have AEP + HD Pak + VOOM; Dish1000, 2 311s and 2 811s. I've called and called and called to get a 211 for an 811 or a 622 and get rid of an 811 and 311. No dice.

I understand things are not in stone (that the 118.7 will have Detroit or not), but come on. I can't get any of the MPEG4 (ish) channels from VOOM or Natiaonl. If they are going to partner with a company, let us have the same damn equipment!

I am a AT&T/DISH customer. I got a 622 and 411, but I had to jump thru a lot of hoops after I threatened to dump them and go directly with DISH. After being on the phone for 77 minutes I got what I wanted.

So we are going to put another satellite up for internationals on 118. This is stupid but what are they going to do with the 121 sat for internationals as well as the 61.5 sat for internationals? Are we going to have three satellites mirroring each other for internationals? And if not then what are the plans for the 121sat that Dish owns? We aren't using it for locals much longer so what will happen to it. And how about 105 which Dish rents? It seems like a lot of redundant duplication and triplecation going on for the internationals.

DId you say Lexington as in Kentucky? That would be great. One question. Will the Dish HD Locals look as good as the OTA? How long until it is confirmed?

MikeD-C05 said:
So we are going to put another satellite up for internationals on 118. This is stupid but what are they going to do with the 121 sat for internationals as well as the 61.5 sat for internationals? Are we going to have three satellites mirroring each other for internationals? And if not then what are the plans for the 121sat that Dish owns? We aren't using it for locals much longer so what will happen to it. And how about 105 which Dish rents? It seems like a lot of redundant duplication and triplecation going on for the internationals.

My guess is that they'll put SUPERDISH121 international's on the new 118.7. I guess the new dishes are cheaper than a SUPERDISH121 and easier to get LOS for. I think internationals will then be on 118.7 and the wings.

We now know that the SUPERDISH experiment was and is a failure. It lasted what 2 years before they're scrapping it? My guess is the 121 will be shut down in about a year or so after the 118.7 launches. I guess I better not order any more SUPERDISHes for our customers.