New $20 Fee for HD?

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
I guess I've been away for a while. I just checked my monthly bill and found a $20 fee tacked on to my normal bill. No new channels or new service; just an additional $20 tacked on for no reason at all. Oh yes, they call it an HD fee, like I wasn't getting HD before ?? This should send everyone scurrying to check out fiber optic services being offered through phone and internet companies. I just discovered for instance that you can get all the ITV sports through your regular TV with just an ITV box attached and connected to the internet. So, thanks DISh. You are doing a great job motivating us to seek out new providers in order to replace your sorry service. Oh for the days of VOOM!

It really shouldn't be $20 more, they have just done away with the metallic names and now are back to just having regular packages (AT200, AT250, etc) and then the DishHD is now a $20 addon. If your bill is more than a few dollars more (for the Feb 1st price increase) then I think there is a problem with your bill.

Yep, I guess you have been away for a while. There are many posts on this.

The "metallic" packs are gone. You now have, for example, the Top 250 plus $20 for HD. There are some price increases also. Your bill may have gone up by $3, $10, or even more for some. My package rate went up, and my $1.99 DHPP plan was folded into the $5.99 DHPP plan.

The just renamed all of the Metal packages and removed the HD from them. So you will likely see that instead of the Gold packages, you have AT250 & HD which end up about the same price, (yearly increase is present though)

Let's see. Previous billing per month was
$116. Now it is $134. Hmmm, that's $18 more not $20. This makes me very happy to know I am not paying much more. Wow I just saved $2. I am so happy. Thanks for showing me how to drink the Dish coolade!

$116. Now it is $134. Hmmm, that's $18 more not $20. This makes me very happy to know I am not paying much more. Wow I just saved $2. I am so happy. Thanks for showing me how to drink the Dish coolade!

Maybe you could show us the itemized list from your previous bill and your current bill. Were you getting HD credits for switching to a vip machine?

Bill Increase for me also

I haven't been paying attention either.

Here is this month's bill

03/12 to 04/11

DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE AMERICA'S TOP 200 WITH LOCALS 47.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
DISHHD 20.00

Account Charges $ 73.97

And Last month's bill

02/12 to 03/11

$100 BACK CREDIT 9 OF 10 - ADJUSTMENT -10.00
DHA DISHHD SILVER W/ LOCALS 59.57

Account Charges $ 55.55

So, it looks like my 10th back credit is missing. Ignoring that for the moment, my bill would have increased from $65.55 to $73.97, or $8.42 - almost 13%

Is that part of the new fee increases?

A break down of your bill would help explain your thinking. You get your bill and instead of trying to figure it out, you threaten to leave dish network?? Why do so many people resort to this tactic? Don't like something, don't understand something??? Go somewhere else, it's always better with the other company!

Then again, my bill is high with comcast, your bill is high with dishnetwork surely directv is the answer.. unless someone their feels their bill is high... then I guess we are all effed in the a.

I haven't been paying attention either.

Here is this month's bill

03/12 to 04/11

DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE AMERICA'S TOP 200 WITH LOCALS 47.99
DISHHD 20.00

Account Charges $ 73.97

And Last month's bill

02/12 to 03/11

$100 BACK CREDIT 9 OF 10 - ADJUSTMENT -10.00
DHA DISHHD SILVER W/ LOCALS 59.57

Account Charges $ 55.55

So, it looks like my 10th back credit is missing. Ignoring that for the moment, my bill would have increased from $65.55 to $73.97, or $8.42 - almost 13%

Is that part of the new fee increases?

I dont think your bill comparison is entirely accurate.

Dish hd silver was 39.99 for 120, 5 for locals and 20 for hd = 64.99. your new rate for hd silver or top 200 + hd + locals is 67.99, which corresponds with the 3$ increase. Also there are 2 or 3 less days in the month of february than say november or january, your bill seems to reflect that.

And lastly, 59.57 is a very odd monthly rate, some sort of adjustment is in that to reduce it from 64.99. Whether it is time without service or simply less days in february remains to be seen. Post your monthly rate from jan to feb if possible.

In other words, your rate did not go up 13%. Please correct me if I am wrong. (i.e. previous months rates and so on.)

Attached below are my Jan 07 Bill and Feb 07 Bill.

Both are pretty basic bills and no changes were made by me other than Jan had 2 PPVs, while Feb only had one.

When you subtract the PPVs from both bills, Jan was $120.03 and Feb was $130.87.

Pretty much looks like a $10 per month increase to me, which is exactly what they told me it would be in the letter I got with the bill. So they've done what they said, which for Dish is noteworthy in itself.

What is also noteworthy is they changed what amounts the exact same programming from what used to be the "Everything Pak" + HD to the Metallic equivalent which included HD and now back to the "Everything" + HD again.

Personally I think it's a little smoke & mirrors to help "obscure" the $10 / month increase in HD but then that's not unusual for Dish and they did include a $10 gift certificate with this months bill.

What we really should be discussing is whether the recent $10 / mo increase plus the others over the last 2 years are worth it for what Dish has done with HD. They've steadily increased the price and steadily increased the amount of HD channels but they've also decreased PQ of HD and some of those channels aren't really worth a whole lot.

Dish02.jpg
Dish01.jpg

Wahhh! AEP was a bargain for years. You got 4 premiums for the price of two. Now it's in line with the other packages. You're still not getting the DVR fees, right?

Wahhh! AEP was a bargain for years. You got 4 premiums for the price of two. Now it's in line with the other packages. You're still not getting the DVR fees, right?
Since you didn't "quote", I'll assume that immature little tirade was not directed at me but if by chance it was, please point out what specifically I said that may have offended your little butt.

Since you didn't "quote", I'll assume that immature little tirade was not directed at me but if by chance it was, please point out what specifically I said that may have offended your little butt.
Not you in particular, Walt. AEP whiners in general.

I think the OPs bill went up 18 because it seems to me that the
AT250 plus HD is like the GOLD instead of the silver. So they upped his channel package as well as adding the HD package.

Whiners in general

Not you in particular, Walt. AEP whiners in general.
I'm with you. I am an AEP'er who is not whining. I just got upgraded to AEP+HD and I'm loving all the new HD content on my new Mitsubishi 65" DLP! I also have Cox HD DVR and got hit with a big rate hike with out ANY NEW CONTENT! So I see no point in whining. Most likely, my four-connection Cox subscription is going down to HS Internet and phone. Take that Cox!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts