New 411 Mpeg4 Dish now able to be modified for archiving!!

these mods don't have anything to do with the mpeg decoder, they tap and create TS streams from the raw data from the satellite before it hits anything in the path :)

no Dish PVR is going to allow someone to archive to heart's content on D-VHS tape or hard drive or DVD-R or whatever
I have a archive of over 500 True HDTV movies

-Gary

I like the idea of doing this, I could set up one of these things to record with sageTV or something.

Then, I could save money on my subscription, I wouldn't need to pay a $6/mo DVR fee, and I wouldn't need to buy locals for $6/mo for guide data.

I think only one satellite tuner is good enough, I could have two ATSC cards in the HTPC, and possibly record two OTA and one Sat at once. Really cool.

I think the cost is very expensive though.....

The 411 costs around $385,
The R5000 mod costs $650,
The sageTV PVR wil cost maybe $700 to build (just a guess).

Is this accurate, or am I missing something?

The cost of the 622 is going to be $650, which tis could replace. Which means the difference in cost is about $1000 between the R5000 and a 622. The 1000 up front cost over $12 savings per month means it pays for itself in 83 months.

Seems like that is too long to break even.

If the mod cost less, it would be worth it.

Guys are you absolutely sure the 411 can be modded now, and that it works with MPEG4????? Please tell me this is true!

I went to the nextcom website and I don't see anything about it...I have wriiten them an email

If this is true, I will defintiely upgrade from the 811!!! This has been the issue for me

R-5000 + MPEG4 +MPEG2 + my 3TB of hard drive space...

flippin sweet HDTV PVR :D

jsanders said:
I like the idea of doing this, I could set up one of these things to record with sageTV or something.

Not yet you cant... We need a DirectShow filter written in order to capture through SageTV or any other HTPC program. Once that is done, then it will work.

Gary got the scoop again!

I just got an email from nextcom confirming this is 100% accurate. There website will be modified TODAY with all the information and ordering instructions. :D

No word on the 211 though (I didn't ask)

Has anyone else found out?

Yea at CES they had a poster up about the ability for the 622 to offload content onto external hard drives. However when asked about this they said it was a mistake and that sign shouldnt have been up, and they took it down :).

So, I'm assuming it might be a "future" feature. Of course, anything you save with their method will be encrypted and only playback on the receiver that you used to archive with. With these mods, once you save to your PC, you can playback anywhere. HTPC, media center extenders, etc.

HokieEngineer said:
Yea at CES they had a poster up about the ability for the 622 to offload content onto external hard drives. However when asked about this they said it was a mistake and that sign shouldnt have been up, and they took it down :).

So, I'm assuming it might be a "future" feature. Of course, anything you save with their method will be encrypted and only playback on the receiver that you used to archive with. With these mods, once you save to your PC, you can playback anywhere. HTPC, media center extenders, etc.

Not to mention use editing software to remove commercials ;)

Cheers,

HokieEngineer said:

And from the sounds of the 622 setup, it sounds a bit kludgy in that you have to load and unload files to the main drive inside the unit, not playback through the USB connection. (at least thats the way i understood it)

Hmmm, I can hear my 411 right now, begging to get modded! :D

Last edited:
Now if we could only convince Nexcomm to make the r5000 stream continuously without having to have a PC attached. It would make peripheral use so much more broad. (D-VHS, linux boxes, etc.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)