New 411 Mpeg4 Dish now able to be modified for archiving!!

Gary Murrell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Prestonsburg, KY
Posted over at the AVS Forum, from a Nextcomm poster:

The newly released DISH411 MPEG-4 receiver can now be modified with the R5000-HD. The 411 represents the latest in satellite receiver technology and is capable of receving all current MPEG-2 offerings as well as the newly added "MPEG-4" channels. Users can capture all HD and SD content as well as DTV. All current R5000-HD features are supported including TitanTV remote scheduling (Program recordings from anywhere in the world).

Although MPEG-4 broadcasts have yet to make their official debut on Dish, we have already developed the necessary technology to handle these streams appropriately (See our sample captures ). Some estimates place the start date for H.264 transmissions a year away so at this point there can be no guarantee that changes won't be made that will affect the R5000's ability to capture these streams. However, our own tests have demonstarted that a signal modulated with an H.264 stream and tuned in by the DISH411 can be prefectly captured using the R5000-HD.The official status is that this solution is "MPEG-4(AVC/H.264) ready."

Details and ordering information will be available on the Nextcom website in the next day or 2. Please check back with us then.

their website is: www.r5000-hd.com

we can finally dump those old 6000 receivers :D

-Gary

Maybe guys, I have been pretty pissed here lately, if the Voom HD-Lite issue can be corrected then that would guarantee me staying with Dish 100%, no question about it

the 6000 is long in the tooth, I can sell it on ebay and get a 411 modified and break even, I will report on this here ASAP

I would say that HDTVFanatic will be doing this also, either one of use will share some info on it

-Gary

Last edited:
thats Nice to know, those Voom channels are very important to me and I actually love the content(which lots of folks complain about) I would kill to have those 15 channels in true 1920x1080i HD, Voom is putting them out that way and they are broadcasting a super high end/high quality signal, it's a shame we can't get that

maybe 6 months from now we will be raving over them

-Gary

I wish they would getr done so I can have something worth posting on stophdlite.com lol J/k.. The fight will continue till everything is in true hd.. then we will bitch about sh!tty bitrates lol :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
This means the 211 is also able to take this mod since it is the same chipset. :)

As long as the attachment points being used on the 411 didn't disappear on the 211 board. All these new receivers use BGA chips (ball grid array). Meaning there are no little pins coming out the sides attached to the mainboard. Instead, all the pins are under the chip, attached to the mainboard with tiny balls of solder. So the r5000 guys had to go map out where each trace went, and what data it carried, NOT FUN.

Since the 211 came out very shortly after the 411, I doubt they had much time to rework the mainboard, and probably just threw on the ethernet port and said get'r'done. So hopefully a 211 can be used to archive as well.

Next question comes on the 622. The hardware was done by July of last year and as far as I understand not much has changed. Imagine using it to archive shows off your DVR.

Im lost, I have no idea what this whole thing with titantv is you guys are talking about. Can you fill me in?

All current R5000-HD features are supported including TitanTV remote scheduling (Program recordings from anywhere in the world).

the first post

I am a noob when it comes to this stuff, but how exactly does this work? I know you send your 211 to them and then what? Do they add an extra port to it? How does it connect to your computer? Do you have to play back from your computer?

UPDATE:
Ahh I see now. That’s still pretty Ghetto though. I think I would prefer the Dish DRV software any day.

Reasons why:
The Dish pass feature (the show doesn't even need to be on that week and it will still record it if it ever comes up)
Recording priority features
The 622 automatically sorts out what should be recorded biased on priority
The 622 works out duplicates by description
The 622 has an option to record only new shows
The ability to record 2 shows without having to buy two receivers (not sure what kind of computer would need to record two shows at once) plus the added cost
The outputs on my 622 work better and are easier to setup with my TV then the DVI port on video card
The cost is cheaper: 600 for the mod, 400 for the receiver, and 1000 for the computer. Then if you want to try to record two things at once it would be another 1000 dollars

Things that are nice about this:
As much recording time as you can afford
As many multi recordings as you can afford
Setup recordings from the internet

It doesn’t really seem worth it to me, but I guess that's just my opinion.

I really wish there was an easy way to just upgrade the hard drive. With my Cox DVR all I had to do was just plug in an external SATA drive. I really don't care about moving my recordings to my computer I just want to have more time. If anyone knows any way to do this I would be a very happy man! :)

Last edited: