New 411 Mpeg4 Dish now able to be modified for archiving!!

Gary Murrell said:
these mods don't have anything to do with the mpeg decoder, they tap and create TS streams from the raw data from the satellite before it hits anything in the path :)

no Dish PVR is going to allow someone to archive to heart's content on D-VHS tape or hard drive or DVD-R or whatever
I have a archive of over 500 True HDTV movies

-Gary
I love you MAN!!!!! :river:river:river:river:river:river:river:river:river:bow:bow:bow:bow:hatsoff::hatsoff::hungry::hungry::up:up:clap:clap:clap NO really i do!!!!!!!!

kb7oeb said:
I thought legal issues were the reason they didn't mod the 811
Yeah, where's Iceberg and his "NO HACK TALK" shakedown?:D

Actually, now that I say that, isn't the discussion of tapping into the digital stream of a device protected by DRM a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act?:confused:

Foxbat said:
Yeah, where's Iceberg and his "NO HACK TALK" shakedown?:D

Actually, now that I say that, isn't the discussion of tapping into the digital stream of a device protected by DRM a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act?:confused:

Yes, I have seen swift banning for people who ostensibly want to get programming for free. The R-5000 sounds like a legal modification.

I have tried joining FTA/MPEG2 What's Up There Forum to find FTA HD without success twice without any explanation of action taken. Tough crowd that FTA group is.

It still is a question I think, if dish offered a real 1394 port it would be encrypted. This bypasses that, it is also the same thing they are trying to stop with OTA and the broadcast flag BS.

they sent me an email yesterday morning saying they could modify the 411 and that the website would be updated yesterday with full pricing and ordering instructions.

Yet I look at the website today and I see no updates at all, not even in their "news" section. :confused: does anyone have an update on availability?

I am trying to decide wether to buy a 411 or Vip211. My decision will based solely on what the r5000 will work with. Would rather have that ethernet port just in case.

Also does anyone have more information on how "MPEG4 ready" the set-up will actually be?

does anyone really know yet?

If it is not against forum rules could someone post a link for me to where the latest news is being posted?

this sounds like good news though :clap

where is the cheapest place to buy a Vip211 outright with no strings attached??

how about Ebay?

They have stated on AVS Forum that they can modify the Vip211 as well as the 411.

Makes me think about things quite a bit as I need to have a PC in my new HT anyway...

Best,

HokieEngineer said:
So, I'm assuming it (offloading DVR programs to a USB drive) might be a "future" feature. Of course, anything you save with their method will be encrypted and only playback on the receiver that you used to archive with. With these mods, once you save to your PC, you can playback anywhere. HTPC, media center extenders, etc.

Fair enough. And add to that the previously mentioned issues: the inability to edit out commercials, and the fact that you have to upload programs to the DVR and can't watch in real time.

But is this Nextcomm thing an actual DVR, or is it just an archive solution? I.e., if you're watching something live, can you pause it to go take a leak? Can you start watching "24" fifteen minutes after it starts and fast-forward through the commercials? Or do you only get these features after the show has ended?

Frankly, I share bymyhand's opinion. Right now, it doesn't seem worth the money. And there's always the risk that it won't work when Dish starts using MPEG4 for real.

Now, if a 211/411 were to somehow fall into my hands, I would definitely consider doing this. But I'm not going to buy one just for the sake of paying more money to upgrade it.

Gary, et al.

I'm in the planning phase of building an HTPC and the R5000-HD looks like something I might want to include. I'm months away from starting this project (still have much reading and understanding to pursue) but have been considering Vista (Longhorn) as an OS. Any thoughts on whether or not the mod will work with MS's latest and greatest (said tongue in cheek)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Airblair said:
Fair enough. And add to that the previously mentioned issues: the inability to edit out commercials, and the fact that you have to upload programs to the DVR and can't watch in real time.

But is this Nextcomm thing an actual DVR, or is it just an archive solution? I.e., if you're watching something live, can you pause it to go take a leak? Can you start watching "24" fifteen minutes after it starts and fast-forward through the commercials? Or do you only get these features after the show has ended?

Frankly, I share bymyhand's opinion. Right now, it doesn't seem worth the money. And there's always the risk that it won't work when Dish starts using MPEG4 for real.

Now, if a 211/411 were to somehow fall into my hands, I would definitely consider doing this. But I'm not going to buy one just for the sake of paying more money to upgrade it.

This is only an archive solution. It will store the capture on a computer hard drive or DVHS deck - possibly a BD or HD-DVD in the future instead of a DVHS - but no guarantees.

To view the file on a HTPC, most will use a MyHD card (even a used 2 generation old MyHD 100 would work fine).

The MyHD card could be used to pause the viewing, rewind, etc.

The R5000 can be used as a DVR, but it's not anything like a Dish DVR or a Tivo. The really poor man's DVR capability you can do is to start a recording when you start watching TV, and then play it back through your MyHD or any other hw/sw solution for playing .ts files. This has several drawbacks however. You can't see any graphics generated by the receiver and you have to wait until the recording catches up with the playback to see the results of pressing remote keys. So if you're paused several minutes you have to wait that long to see a channel change. If you're at the end of the file, there's still a couple second delay.

The other option for limited DVR capability is to set something up with Girder, or you're favorite PC automation software. The R5000 has a pretty full-feature command line ability, so if you're handy with a PC you can set up a little application to start a recording via remote control. Then when you start watching something you want to pause, just press the button on the remote and play the file back with MyHD.

Both of these solutions are kludges at best, but they do give you limited DVR capability. They also take a little time to set up. I'm using the r5000 with a 4dtv system, which doesn't have any DVR solutions for HD outside of the r5000. If you're only looking to DVR (and not archive) content from a pizza dish, the r5000 probably isn't the best solution for you. You'd be bet off with a 622.

What happens when you try to play back an mpeg2 encoded video that has an mpeg4 header???

If you use software like ZoomPlayer, you would need mpeg2 decoders to view the video, but if it has an mpeg4 header will ZP just ignore it? Or will it choke because it wants to use an mpeg4 decoder to match the header?

Same question if you use a MyHD/Fusion card??? The hardware is built to play back mpeg2, but when it sees an mpeg4 header will it crash?

Can the file be edited so the header matches the video?

Hammer

The whole pseudo-mpeg4 thing is all dealt with on the satellite end. The actual transport stream is mpeg2. Thus, you should have no problems playing back archives from the pseudo-mpeg4 channels.

Mpeg4/AVC might be a different story. I have yet to see a software codec released that can playback mpeg4/AVC HD resolution material in realtime (on a normal PC). At CES Nvidia was demoing their latest drivers which supposedly used hardware acceleration from their geforce 6/7 line. I don't believe these drivers have shipped yet. Also, the computer they were running the demo on was a dual core 3GHz machine with a geforce7800.

Anyways, I plan on experimenting by taking some mpeg2 transport streams and encoding them in a high bitrate mpeg4/AVC file.

I played an R-5000 AVC SD sample which played as I had expected in Quicktime 7.0.1 without problems. But the newest point release of QT won't play it. An AVC HD sample wouldn't play in QT. However, I have played AVC HD samples that had been converted from MPEG2-TS files from an OTA source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)