New 522 ?'s

Wannabeswede

Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
Okay I've been going through this forum and Dbstalk's forums about the 522 and I have a couple of questions that I'm not clear on. Sorry for the long post. Hopefully I won't ramble too much ;-)

1st: My Current setup is 1 508, 1 501 and 1 301. I have a Quad LNB. Once the 522 shows up I am going to retire the 301. So my first question has to do with what "ports" on the Quad LNB should go to what. I read a couple of posts here and the consensus seemed to be that you hooked up ports 1&2 to the 522, is that correct? And which are 1&2? If I'm holding the LNB looking at the ports is it 1234 left to right or 4321 left to right?

2nd: I will only be using the 522 in single mode i.e. just driving 1 TV. I am going to make some statements here, please let me know if I'm wrong. I can watch 1 channel and record another. I can pause 1 channel switch to the other come back within 60 mins and the previous channel will still be paused. I can watch 2 different channels at the same time using PIP (No audio in the PIP window). I can record 2 different channels at the same time while I'm watching something I have recorded from before. I can do this all with the UHF remote.

3rd: When I setup a timer to record can I pick the tuner it uses?

Until I actually get it I think that's it. I appreciate your patience those that have made it this far ;-)

Tack (Swedish for Thanks),
Kevin

A3 (I Think): In single mode it doesn't matter you just get 2 total no specfics as to what goes where. In dual mode yes you choose the TV.

For A3 my question should have been, if I schedule two different shows that start at the same time do I pick which show records on which tuner or does the 522 just pick?

Thanks,
Kevin

I have record plus set to TV2 and all timer recordings use TV2 unless its already recording something then it will use TV1. I am in single mode.

Wannabeswede said:
I will only be using the 522 in single mode i.e. just driving 1 TV. I am going to make some statements here, please let me know if I'm wrong.
This is true.
I can watch 1 channel and record another.
Yes.
I can pause 1 channel switch to the other come back within 60 mins and the previous channel will still be paused.
Well, not really. To clarify, you can be watching one channel, then switch to another channel via the swap button (recall button won't do what you're looking for). This really switches to the other tuner, where you can flip around whatever channels you want. Then at some time you can swap back to the original tuner with your original channel. If you had paused it before the swap to the other tuner, at this time it will be unpaused, back at live tv when you swap back. But you can just "fast reverse" (rewind) back to where you were, provided you weren't "gone" for more than 2 hours.
I can watch 2 different channels at the same time using PIP (No audio in the PIP window).
Yes.
I can record 2 different channels at the same time while I'm watching something I have recorded from before.
True, but you're more likely to run into the a/v freezes, dropouts, and chirps (and possibly even a watchdog reboot) since this is stressing the software pretty heavily.
I can do this all with the UHF remote.
Yes, in single mode both remotes are identical. Just a side note, you can also set up the TV1 location (and its tuner if in dual mode) for a UHF remote in addition to the TV2 UHF remote that came with the unit.

Is there a manual somewhere that talks about all this? Since the orginal manual didn't know about single mode when it was written (I'm sure you know it says single mode "in the future"). Something that details out all this with examples and such?

Not knocking everyone's help, but if I had something to read I wouldn't have to bug everyone ;-)

Thanks,
Kevin

n0qcu said:
I have record plus set to TV2 and all timer recordings use TV2 unless its already recording something then it will use TV1. I am in single mode.

Thanks for the reply, I guess what I was really asking for was if Dish had updated the complete manual, so that there would be screenshots at the different instructions. Not knocking the posting you "posted" at all, just (as always) wanted more ;-)

Thanks,
Kevin

BFG said:
The single mode addition instructions is a stickied topic at the top of this forum.
Here's the pdf file: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=1572

DishMover question / decision support

Thinking of 522 for parents, what is current status?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)