New 622 L7.12 - All Channels cannot be your default

Translation?

If you are saying that's a "feature" of that firmware, perhaps it's yet another bug Dish created when they tried fixing other issues. They are real good at doing stuff like that.

I can see that "My Channels" is best for New customers, but I don't see any reason for removing it as a "choice" for default.

Aside from the guide color issue (lol), I like being able to see what other channels are available for subscription.

Translation?

If you are saying that's a "feature" of that firmware, perhaps it's yet another bug Dish created when they tried fixing other issues. They are real good at doing stuff like that.
Dish has been deliberately making the guides default to My Channels in their receivers for a while now, I guess it took a while to make it to the 622.

Everybody hates it. Yet, they insist on continuing this practice. Although, most people hate it because they want to use their Favorites lists. Kstuart is one of the few who prefers All Channels. However, everyone would be satisfied if Dish would just program the SW to stay on the last-used list, whatever it may be. Or, allow users to set the Default Guide in the Settings menu.

It's a big complaint, and simple request. Yet, they seem to have a boner for doing it this way.

Actually, they do allow you to choose either My Channels or My HD Channels as default - they just have removed "All Channels" as a choice, and don't include Favorites as a choice, as you say.

So, the code is there to allow users to choose whichever list they want as a default.

To be specific, I like "All Channels" because if I am actually looking through channels in the guide, I can see ones that Dish has added for other packages that I might want to subscribe to.

I know the channel numbers for my frequently viewed channels, so I don't scroll through lists when I want to go straight to a channel.

With the Hopper/Joey, they removed any choice at all for default guide. It will stay on the last-used for a little while, then default back to My Channels.

It's just mind-boggling why they would choose to do this, despite overwhelming public opposition. A Dish engineer did tell me their "logic" once. They feel they were getting too many calls to CS complaining of lost channels because the users didn't realize they had a favorites list selected. So, they think this will reduce support calls.

I'm not sure why they would remove All Channels as a default choice, unless people called to complain about all the channels in red? Who knows what sort of strange logic they used for that one.

This has been on several other receiver models for a while now. It's due to people calling in while "stuck" on an authorization error message.

I used to like putting all channels as a default because my girlfriend and parents have different packages than I do so i can see what is giving at their houses when I visit. :D

211 still defaults to All Channels, but my 722k defaults to My Channels - very irritating.

I have all the channels I don't subscribe to locked out and hidden on all my receivers (4), so All Channels is the best choice for me.

Why can't they either have it default to the last guide used or have a screen to choose the default?

Jim5506 said:
I have all the channels I don't subscribe to locked out and hidden on all my receivers (4), so All Channels is the best choice for me.

Isn't that the same as it defaulting to "My Channels"?

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Isn't that the same as it defaulting to "My Channels"?
He locked out all current channels that he does not subscribe to and does not want.

Then if the Guide is on "All Channels", if Dish adds a new channel to the system (such as the much requested "Fearnet HD"), then it would be the only Red or Green channel in the Guide, easily noticed, so that he can decide if he wants to add the package.

If the Guide is on "My Channels", then he will only see a new channel IF Dish adds it to the package that he already has.

SO, it is actually better for Dish Network, if he uses "All Channels".

I personally hate seeing channels that I don't get. Nice to have my options, not everything the company offers. That was one feature of the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes I liked back in my Media One/AT&T Broadband days. Of course, I didn't have a guide back then. But cable boxes skipped channels that I didn't subscribe to.

He locked out all current channels that he does not subscribe to and does not want.

Then if the Guide is on "All Channels", if Dish adds a new channel to the system (such as the much requested "Fearnet HD"), then it would be the only Red or Green channel in the Guide, easily noticed, so that he can decide if he wants to add the package.

If the Guide is on "My Channels", then he will only see a new channel IF Dish adds it to the package that he already has.

SO, it is actually better for Dish Network, if he uses "All Channels".

I think it's much easier to find out about new channels here - on SatelliteGuys, of course :D

The point is that WE should decide what our default guide is, regardless of how anybody else values the different lists. These receivers are in our homes, used by us. And, we know which guides work better for us. If I want Favorites 1, and kstuart wants All Channels, and Fat Man wants My Channels, then we should each be able to choose any one of those as our default.

It's like Dish DVR's have become the iPhones of the DVR world, where the company that makes it thinks they know what you want better than you do.

It's like Dish DVR's have become the iPhones of the DVR world, where the company that makes it thinks they know what you want better than you do.
Actually Google does the same thing. They have done changes in Google Mail and Google News that have received tens of thousands of complaints, and refuse to allow the user to choose an option to continue to do it the old way. Those changes are very similar to the change in the Dish Guide.

It's part of the change over the last 20 years from seeing customers as partners in making money, to seeing customers as competitors for money. This new attitude is perfectly summarized by the envelopes I receive in the mail from the credit card companies where I have accounts, which say on the envelope "Important Information About Your Account". Those envelopes always contain only advertising for new products - the statement on the envelope is a blatant lie. 30 years ago, no one would have done that to their existing customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts