New 622, two problems, lots of good

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jolard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
I just had my new 622 installed yesterday. The install process went fine, but the ordering with the on-phone CSR's was a nightmare (something for another post, but just the short version I had to setup the install appointment 3 times, as Dish kept losing my order)

I have noticed two problems and one concern.

- Video Freeze. At least 4 times, my picture on an HD channel has all of a sudden gone extremely pixelated and then froze. I can leave the station, go to another one and that will work fine, and generally come back to the original one soon after. I searched but couldn't find anyone having a similar problem.

What could be causing this? Am I losing signal? This is on Dish HD channels, not over the air. Is it overheating? Is the unit defective?

- Sound droppouts. I have my audio plugged into my receiver via an optical cable. The audio always seems fine going into my TV via an old RCA cable, but the optical cable audio will fade and disappear at times. I have the audio setup with both DD and PCM in the options.

I know there were known issues with audio dropouts, but the posts I could find about it were all older, so I was wondering if this had been solved with a software update. I just got it yesterday, so I am not sure if I have the latest firmware yet.

- Finally my concern.... This thing is HOT!!! Much hotter than my old 522. I have it with plenty of air around it, but it is almost too hot to touch if you touch the rear of the unit after it has been on for a while. I know this is also a known issue, but I am concerned that maybe this is what is causing some of the issues above.

Anyway, any feedback you could give would be wonderful. I have LOVED the HD picture quality, especially on HDNET, HDNET Movies and a few of the others. The HD locals look great as well, although I didn't expect them to be perfect as they have to send so many out. Made me feel great about my new TV purchase (52 inch Mits DLP)

Jolard said:
- Video Freeze. At least 4 times, my picture on an HD channel has all of a sudden gone extremely pixelated and then froze. I can leave the station, go to another one and that will work fine, and generally come back to the original one soon after. I searched but couldn't find anyone having a similar problem.

What could be causing this? Am I losing signal? This is on Dish HD channels, not over the air. Is it overheating? Is the unit defective?
Does the picture look like this?

Jolard said:
- Finally my concern.... This thing is HOT!!! Much hotter than my old 522. I have it with plenty of air around it, but it is almost too hot to touch if you touch the rear of the unit after it has been on for a while. I know this is also a known issue, but I am concerned that maybe this is what is causing some of the issues above.
This thread has some solutions to the heat problem...

I can't comment specifically on the dropouts but, yes, they may be related to heat! Please look at the very active thread on the 622 temperature issue - there have been over 200 posts!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59186

What version do you have (last character in the serial number)? I had a "D" version that was replaced due to a faulty HDMI output. The newer "E" version seems to be a bit cooler to the touch externally, but that's not the whole picture! Do everything you can to get the unit well ventillated. Make sure it's not in an enclosed cabinet, has lots of "breathing room" around it, has no other components right below or above it, etc. You should also give it a fan - the internal one may never turn on! See that thread I mentioned for more details.

I really like my (replacement) 622! As an advanced system I believe it needs some additional understanding/accommodations and some TLC...!

Thanks for the quick replies:

dfergie: Yes, the picture looks quite a bit like that, the whole picture will freeze with major pixelation, and then just sit there frozen until I leave the channel, wait a while and come back. I wouldn't be quite so concerned except it did it 4 times in about 2 hours of playing with the unit, so if that is average, I am NOT going to be happy and the wife acceptance factor is dropping dramatically. It didn't seem to need a ticker on the screen, or any kind of change of picture, it would just freeze.

bhelms: I IM'd my wife at home, and had her check the serial number and the temps. The serial number ends with an E, so I guess I have the latest version.

The temp numbers were 136 high, 111 average, and 78 low. The 136 high does seem high, but the average 111 seems right in line with what most people were posting on that other thread.

I do have the unit in the TV stand, but it is on its own shelf with a VCR and DVD player underneath that shelf, currently turned off. It has about 2 inches of space above it, and feet of space on the left and right and to the front, as there is no front glass. The cabinet is open on the sides too, so it should get enough air.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)