New 721 Bug? No Audio.

avediswolf

I'm Back!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 22, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Had a weird one, Was watching The Office on NBC, when all of a sudden the audio went out. I at first thought "Darn Station" and waited for a while, before I gave up on the station only to find out there was no audio from any channel.

I started playing with wires, Using the RF out to Ch.3, Using the RCA outs, tried everything, still no audio.

Did about 3 reboots, ( Pulled Plug ), and still nothing. But, on the next reboot, I left it unplugged for a while. During it's "Acquiring Data From Satellite" I wanted to do a check switch, but noticed on the dish pointing screen, I heard the sound. So I wated for the boot, No audio. Went to the dish pointing screen, Still no audio there either.

Reboot again. This time during the Acquring Data, I went to the PVR menu, and played a recorded event, audio was fine. I stopped it. Once completely booted, No audio anywhere, Channels, DVR, Signal Strength, all quiet.

That's what made me think it was software, since the hardware is clearly working before it boots all the way.

Anyway, It finally came back, for about 30 minutes, then suddenly went quiet again.

Anyone else? I've only had this box for a couple days, could it be bad? If I'm the only one, maybe I should have it swapped. Otherwise, it's working fine, just the audio is driving me nuts.

Oi Vey, I'm done messing with it, Going to bed. :confused:

They put new software on our boxes that is causing MAJOR problems. They should remove that build and force the old software back.

My system is going completely black when I'm recording programs, then if I hit the power button, it shows the "Press Select" thing, then it seems to reset to channel 101, but without showing anything. I can get my programs back, but it is ANNOYING!! I can't watch one live show while recording something else.

Thanks a lot Dish.

And all I can see that was "improved" was now PIP has one more setting, split screen mode.

This sucks. Fix it now, or I'm not paying my bill...

I reset to factory defaults, then left it unplugged all night.
This morning, fired it up, and the audio was there.
The kids started watching cartoon network before school.
About 40 minutes later, the sound just went silent again on all channels.

Suppose I'm going to RA the unit, since this doesn't seem to be happening to any others, I'd say it's a defective unit.

I reset to factory defaults, then left it unplugged all night.
This morning, fired it up, and the audio was there.
The kids started watching cartoon network before school.
About 40 minutes later, the sound just went silent again on all channels.

Suppose I'm going to RA the unit, since this doesn't seem to be happening to any others, I'd say it's a defective unit.

If it worked before the new software, and now it's not, don't assume it's a defective unit...

I haven't had it long enough to have it on the older software, I let it update before I activated.

Anyway, I think I found the problem.

I forgot to mention, the smart card slot was a little screwey, When I first got it, it would complain the smart card was not inserted correctly, even though I knew it was, and would take it out, put it back in, and it still complained. I ended putting a piece of index card over the card as I inserted it, and it appeard to fix the error.

I just noticed at lunch time, the card seemed a bit loose still, and if I jiggle it around a little, the audio comes and goes. A few flips to the card, and I can get it to stay on for a while, so that could possibly be it. It could have been coiencidence that I got audio before complet boot.

Something is loose in there, so it's going to be refurbished yet again, I suppose.

But, on another note, It's keeping the 9 day guide now. hehe.

Thanks to Claude from DishStore for all your help, and putting up with me, You are a great resource.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts