New 722 - Couple Dual Mode Questions...

OrangeandBlue33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Just got a new 722 receiver this week and am trying to sort out the Dual mode set-up and have a couple of questions....

When I'm in dual mode (two TVs in different locations), TV1 and TV2 should be able to see all the recordings (both TV1 and TV2) from the DVR, correct? If so, I'm not sure what the problem is because I have 3 recordings on the DVR and all 3 show up when I'm on TV1, but when I'm on TV2 it shows that I only have 2. What might I be doing wrong, or is there a bug in the system?

Also, in the future, I'd like to add an external hard drive. Will I be able to access saved recordings from the hard drive and watch them on TV2 in dual mode?

Thanks for your help!

You should see all the recordings, you may want to reboot the receiver or there may be something in the setup that limited the one recording to tv1 (I am not aware of anything that does this, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.)

You should see all the recordings, you may want to reboot the receiver or there may be something in the setup that limited the one recording to tv1 (I am not aware of anything that does this, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.)

Well, live and learn I guess - I'm not used to the 722 DVR Recordings List and didn't realize there is a "Group" sorting option and that's what the TV2 was set at. 2 of the recordings were the same title so they were grouped together and only showed up as one entry. Thanks for your confirmation!

As far as the external hard drive goes, can anyone confirm that TV2 in dual mode can read the data as well, or can you only watch it from TV1?

Thanks again!

I'm not able to view recordings on my XHD from TV2, but it's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong.:confused:

Well, I've been searching for several hours on multiple threads and finally found some comments that the external hard drive is not viewable from TV2. The thread was from last Fall sometime, so I didn't know if there's been a software update to take care of that or not.

I don't see what the reasoning would be to limit the viewing to only TV1. Is it a technical issue, or what? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but maybe it is and I just don't understand the technical limitations. Doesn't seem quite as useful with that limitation since I do about the same amount of viewing from each TV. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it just seems like a no-brainer to me. :confused:

Yes, you should be able to access the XHD from TV2. I can on my 622.

Thanks for the update jcvaughan! As you can see in my above message, apparently originally that wasn't the case and I couldn't confirm that E* had made some software improvements or not. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll probably be adding a drive soon as that HD content really eats up the space.

To watch EHD on TV2, you must be in Single Mode/Shared view (Menu, System Setup, Shared View, Enable).

Single / Dual Mode Switch

Is there any way to switch between Single / Dual mode without accessing the button on receiver itself. I hate having to go into a different room to make the switch...

I thought I should point one thing the OP has not acknowledged that he understands or caught on to.

The receiver must be set to "SHARED VIEW".

Menu - 6 - 2 and select "Enable View"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)