New 722 DVR - UHF TV2 remote stops working after 3 minutes

wiles01

Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas
I just upgraded my 625Duo DVR to a 722 HD DVR 2 days ago.

When the unit is first powered on, the TV2 UHF remote works fine, changing all the channels, guide, etc... if you let the remote sit for 3-4 minutes, it stops changing anything on Dish.

It still controls the volume, TV power, mute, but none of the satellite functions work.

Everything I've tried:

If I reset the 722 DVR, it works again for approximately 3 minutes and stops working again. If I go to the System Information screen and go through the setup steps, the remote starts working once again, but only for 3-4 minutes before stopping again.

I've made sure the DVR is and stays in dual mode.

I've tried all 15 remote channels for TV2.

I've tried changing out the batteries, plus I have 2 TV2 remotes anyway and they both stop working at the same time (rules out the remote being the problem).

I've tried boosting the UHF signal using the boost method I've seen mentioned on this forum. I've tried extending the antenna, but then again, it doesn't matter if I'm standing right next to the DVR or in the other room. Once it stops working it doesn't matter where I am. (rules out the UHF antenna not being positioned correctly or the range being too far).

It doesn't matter if the LCD TV in the front above the DVR is on or off or if any of the other components in the entertainment console are on or off (rules out UHF/electronic interferance).

Anyone ever encounter something similar to this or know of a fix? Seems odd that it works absolutely fine right after power up and then "poof" it goes away once it has been idle for 3-4 minutes.

I'm thinking the UHF receiver in the 722 DVR is bad or something is odd in a software setting somewhere telling the UHF receiver to shut off after an amount of time.

I did a bit more research and saw mention of a wireless router causing interference with the UHF receiver in the 722. I experimented putting the UHF TV2 antenna on a 30' cable as far away from the router as possible and now it seems that the interference has been cut dramatically. TV2 remote seems to be working about 95% of the time. I think the router may have been the cause of the problem.

My wireless router is about 3 feet away from my 722 and I've NEVER had a problem with my TV2 UHF remote or with my TV1 remote which was switched to UHF as well. :confused:Good luck solving your problem but I don't think it's because of your wireless router.

Ed

think again. I have experienced this as well. Also, wireless alarm systems will also interfere with the RF remote signal.
Other considerations..Excessive amounts of glass, especially mirrors in the tv 2 room. Glass shelving or doors in entertainment centers are sometimes an issue..
The OP should try to move the wireless router to an area that is NOT in between the receiver and the tv2 room. This has worked for me.
LAst resort, delete the dual tuner and add two single tuners.

My wireless router is about 3 feet away from my 722 and I've NEVER had a problem with my TV2 UHF remote or with my TV1 remote which was switched to UHF as well. :confused:Good luck solving your problem but I don't think it's because of your wireless router.

Ed
Ditto here. Except in my case, two feet.

Of course, it might just be random luck if you just happen to choose settings for your wireless router that do or don't interfere. Try adjusting what channel(s) and band(s) the router uses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)