New 750GB HDs to hit the market...will Dish put them in their upcoming DVRs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fenwah

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060426...EmvyoW6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Seagate Technology LLC is beefing up the capacity of its hard disk drives to a whopping 750 gigabytes, offering consumers of digital media more storage for their computers than ever before.

The drive Seagate will introduce Wednesday, the Barracuda 7200.10, is the first computer desktop disk drive to hit the 750-gigabyte mark and represents a 50 percent increase from the previous industry maximum of 500 gigabytes.

Scotts Valley-based Seagate, the world's largest disk-drive maker, is first releasing the product as an internal drive for PC makers. Next week, it plans to introduce external hard drives — add-ons that consumers can use to supplement their existing computer setups — with a suggested retail price of $559.

After that, Seagate plans to introduce versions for other consumer electronics, such as digital video recorders that are growing in popularity as standalone set-top-boxes or part of cable and satellite television receivers.

For consumers, the beefier drives mean they can store more movies, photos, games and songs with less worry about quickly running out of space. They also could have larger backup drives to ensure against data loss when their drives crash. (Seagate offers a five-year warranty on its drives.)

Analysts say a 750-gigabyte drive could hold roughly 375 hours of standard-definition television programming, about 75 hours of high-definition video, or more than 10,000 music CDs converted to the MP3 digital audio format.

For the hard drive industry, the capacity milestone pegs the biggest, fastest jump in its 50-year history.

The big leap stems from a new so-called "perpendicular recording" technology that allows drive makers like Seagate and rival Hitachi Global Storage Technologies to boost the density of a disk by aligning bits of data vertically rather than horizontally. At the same time, fewer moving components are needed in the drives.

The advances are leading to the largest, most reliable disk drives yet, said Seagate product marketing manager Joni Clark.

Before long, consumers will have terabyte-, or 1,000-gigabyte, drives at their disposal, Clark said.

fenwah said:
with a suggested retail price of $559.

thats where I stopped reading, I would say maybe in about 20 years, right after they decide which sat. they want HD on, and they actually have the same dish to recieve programming longer then 6 months before introducing another :)

Open up that USB port and I will add one to my 622 very quickly!

USB external disk for DVR

JoeSp said:
Open up that USB port and I will add one to my 622 very quickly!

Is the bandwidth of the USB port wide enough to record in "real time" or would you have to cache the data to an internal drive and spool it over to record and visa versa to play? I found that my Sony digital camera can't send data via the USB without dropping frames, hence my doubts.

If the latter, it seems like way too much hassle to use.

bxl4 said:
Is the bandwidth of the USB port wide enough to record in "real time" or would you have to cache the data to an internal drive and spool it over to record and visa versa to play? I found that my Sony digital camera can't send data via the USB without dropping frames, hence my doubts.

It was my understanding that you could download previously recorded shows FROM your dvr TO the USB hard drive.

By the way, the price on that 750GB will fall dramatically once it's been on the market a few months.

bxl4 said:

I'm too lazy to look this up, but I do know that when the USB add-on HDD feature was introduced at CEDIA in January, it was described as more of an archiving solution than anything.

So you're right that the USB port's speed is an issue.

Essentially, shows are recorded to the DVR's internal drive. You have to have the space on that drive to record a show; you could have a completely empty 3TB USB drive attached to the DVR, but if the internal drive is full, it won't record.

Then you have to move shows over to the attached drive, via some unspecified interface. This clears up the space on the internal drive.

To watch something on the attached drive, you have to move it back to the internal drive, which must have enough free space for the entire show. And the move isn't instantaneous; the file has to transfer over before you can watch the show.

They might have some kind of streaming feature that allows you to start watching before the entire file is finished transfering. That's just a guess of mine.

But I understand that transferring a 1-hour HD program will take about 10 minutes over a USB2 connection. Someone else did the math somewhere.

Still, though, I'll take it. I'm tired of having to delete movies that I haven't watched, just because my 921's HDD is running out of space.

USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth to handle a real-time HDTV recording. In fact, it could handle multiple channels simultaneously.

The problem is that the Dish DVR software has not enabled recording to an external drive.

I've seen external 300GB USB drives going for $120. That would be a very nice, inexpensive device to hook up to a 622. Hook up a couple for $240.

And 250GB drives for $90. Case, power supply, and all. Hard to believe they can be made that cheaply.

Last edited:
I expect in time someone will find a way to swap-out or add to the current drive in the 622 or other DVRs with these higher-capacity units. What's the current limitation to this on sub-owned equipment except for warranty issues?

As they say on the price is right - THAT'S TOO MUCH -

You can buy two or three smaller hard drives for cheaper than the price of the one hard drive. I am glad to see that there are less moving parts and that they are more reliable than the previous hard drives.

Soon we will be measuring hard drives in TB's (terrabytes) instead of GB's.

bhelms said:
I expect in time someone will find a way to swap-out or add to the current drive in the 622 or other DVRs with these higher-capacity units. What's the current limitation to this on sub-owned equipment except for warranty issues?
if i had a 622 id rip it open whether i owned or leased if hdd upgrade was possible

Tom Bombadil said:
USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth to handle a real-time HDTV recording. In fact, it could handle multiple channels simultaneously.

The problem is that the Dish DVR software has not enabled recording to an external drive.

Yep, I think its something around 480 mbps. Correct me if I am wrong.

dfergie,

Why pay $175 when you can go get a 250 GB disk for $70 w/free shipping (Fry's) at times and two enclosures for $64 + $7.50 shipping (PCMicro) or so. A 400 GB was $150+8 shipping. These were FW and USB. I look at dealmac.com and dealsontheweb.com for such.

-Ken

Tom Bombadil said:

I had to go searching through the archives but I found this from CES (not CEDIA, my bad). It clearly says that you have to transfer recorded shows from the external drive. It also uses the word "archive" prominently. This ain't real-time, folks. (Doesn't the pocketdish need time to transfer an SD show from the DVR? I don't have one, so I don't know.)

So regardless of USB's theoretical capabilities, unless someone has heard something differently this feature will work the way I described it. (And I do know that the software hasn't yet been enabled.)

dfergie said:
I just saw external 250 gig drives at Wal-Mart for $175...

I saw a Iomega 250GB USB 2.0 external drive (complete) on sale from a mail order house for $89.99, with free shipping, today. Brand new, full factory warranty. This was after a $50 rebate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts