New 811 Install -- 2 Days and Problems - Any Info?

pfriederichs

Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Wish I had come here before I switched from DTV to Dish or so I am starting to feel -- I have an 811 and last night I kept loosing my signal on TNT-HD and IFC when switching between them -- I would get an error message stating that it cant acquire the signal.

I've also seen an error message a few times when selecting channels that my SWITCH is bad?!

I've also noticed occasionally when switching channels a black flickering screen for anywhere between 10-30 seconds before the channel kicks in.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've got a normal SD reciever in another room and so far its worked fine...

pfriederichs said:
Wish I had come here before I switched from DTV to Dish or so I am starting to feel -- I have an 811 and last night I kept loosing my signal on TNT-HD and IFC when switching between them -- I would get an error message stating that it cant acquire the signal.

I've also seen an error message a few times when selecting channels that my SWITCH is bad?!

I've also noticed occasionally when switching channels a black flickering screen for anywhere between 10-30 seconds before the channel kicks in.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've got a normal SD reciever in another room and so far its worked fine...

You have some strange symptoms. The acquiring signal issue is a known issue with the 811 and 6000. The most common cause is sitting on an OTA channel for a long time before changing channels. From your description you are not doing this. Is this happen often? The black flicking for 10-30 seconds is a new one for me.

Here are couple things to do to try to narrow down your issues. Go to the Dish Strength and watch it for a while and see how solid it is. Is your Dish cable going through a power conditionar or a surge protector. If so, temporarly by pass them to eliminate that from a potentional issues.

What version of software do you have?

Have you tried a different Input? If you have DVI, try using it on component and see if you still see the issues.

These might not help but they will give more input. Your signal strength should be pretty solid. Check different transponders also.

Hope this helps. I have a 811 and I am happy with it. the 2.81 release looks pretty good sofar.

Thanks for the tips -- to be honest I may have jumped the gun a bit as I do have 2 811's and have not noticed anything on the 2nd one yet -- then again I dont use it nearly as much.

The installed left the cable that was already pre-wired for DTV and used it -- there was a generic splitter inplace to combine the 2 cables -- I replaced that with a barrel connector.

Also in the 811's defence there was alot of bad weather in my area that day so perhaps that had somthing to do with it aswell... I hope its not that sensitive to weather though...

In any case thanks again... Hopefully I dont need to go making more posts here...

Paul

Where is my 811 s.w upgrade?

Countdown has begun - AMC 15

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)