New 811 install...where's the beef?

brooks

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Had the 811 installed yesterday on my Mitsu 65611.I am NOT a techie on this stuff, but I know that the tv broadcasts in 480i, 480p and 1080i. All my HD channels are coming in at 480i...isn't that SD?I cannot get it to format in 1080i. ESPNHD looks no better than what I already have.

The format button on my tv remote works but the format button on 811 remote doesn't change the picture one bit so I'm assuming at this point that something is not plugged in correctly, somewhere. It would have been nice if the installer knew more about it than me (which ain't saying much).He had the Monster RCA cable plugged into the component inputs so I switched those over to the DVI inputs right next to it....no change.

Any ideas out there?

Not to be a smart-ass, but how did you plug your RCA cables into the DVI connection? Must have a bunch of duct tape back there. :)

For the DTV (including HDTV) formats, you need to be using either the Component (three RCA connectors, red, blue and green) cable which came with the 811 or the DVI connections. If you don't have a functioning * format button, you aren't viewing the signal over the HD connections.

My final conclusion is that your TV isn't set to the component input.

My screw-up...I should have said DTV not DVI.
So if that's in place where it should be, you think perhaps that I have to change something in my tv's settings?

Use ONLY the component connection to the TV, then see if you have a picture. You will also need to be using a L/R audio cable. That's five cables connected between the 811 and the TV. This will rule out you accidentally watching an SD connection. I don't know the settings on your TV, but the input needs to be set to the component input. DTV could just be a label, not necessarily a connection.

Use component 1 or 2. It looks like DTV needs a H and V sync signal too.

Edit: check that... The component only works for 480i/p. There has to be a setting in the TV to tell it you are using component inputs for DTV, and not RGBHV.

mike123abc said:
Do menu 6-1-9 and make sure the 811 is in 1080i mode.

That's true, but it should not matter. The problem is viewing the actual HD outputs from the 811. Since the * button is non-functional, I'm guessing he's not seeing the HD signal. The * button works on all the DTV formats, just not the SD.

DTV on the mitsubishi defaults to component. You have to actually change the menu settings to utilize it for RGBHV. Otherwise it is just another component.

Make sure the 811 is set to 1080i.

I had it in component 1...will try it in 2 when I get home from work.What are the H and V inputs for?

Mike please explain the menu 6-1-9 suggestion as I am completely in the dark on this one.

you may need to go into to your tv's menu and set it to component inputs on the DTV input. your tv maybe looking for an rgb connection not a component. i have a newer mits and you have to do this.

brooks said:
I had it in component 1...will try it in 2 when I get home from work.What are the H and V inputs for?

Mike please explain the menu 6-1-9 suggestion as I am completely in the dark on this one.

The 811 used to come preset to 720p. If you want to use a different resolution, you need to go into the menu of the 811 and change it.

Press MENU 6 then 1 then 9. You'll see the options. Select 1080i and 16x9, then SAVE.

This could be an issue with the TV downressing 720p to something of less resolution.

To reiterate...when I hit the format button on my mitsu remote, it changes the picture into the various configurations, but always registers 480i.

When I try the format button on the 811 remote, the names of the different configurations appears on the screen, but the picture never changes.

brooks said:

i don't have your tv, but the pdf you put up shows that your component 1 and 2 just do 480i/480p. it could be downconverting your picture to 480p.
i suggest trying the dtv input. you may have to go into your menu and set the dtv input to Y/Pr/Pb instead of RGB. the RGB cables use H (horizontal sync) and V (vertical sync) besides the other 3 cables. i pulled up your owner's manual (look at pages 22 and 23) for set up.

This is from the owners manual:

Note: You may need to set the Input-DTV
assignment to RGB instead of Y/Pr/Pb. Refer to
the Edit NetCommand™ Setup for instructions
on changing this setting.
DTV Receiver / TV Back Panel
• G (green) to Y/G
• R (red) to Pr/R
• B (blue) to Pb/B

hope i didn't confuse you.

brooks said:
When I try the format button on the 811 remote, the names of the different configurations appears on the screen, but the picture never changes.

And this leads me to believe you are not watching the HD outputs on the 811. You must be seeing the S-Video or composite connection.

Scuba I think you may be on to it...I think the settings in the tv have to be changed.
Unbelievable...in 20 minutes I've gotten more insight into this problem then in the four hours the two Dish installers stood in front of my tv with shoulders shrugged, shaking their heads.
Dish should be funding this website.

brooks said:
Scuba I think you may be on to it...I think the settings in the tv have to be changed.
Unbelievable...in 20 minutes I've gotten more insight into this problem then in the four hours the two Dish installers stood in front of my tv with shoulders shrugged, shaking their heads.
Dish should be funding this website.

Nah!! if Dish was to fund this website then they would want some control and that would be a bad thing. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts