New 942 Feature but does it work?

onsiteSat

Satellite Sales/Installs
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Glendale, AZ
New 942 Feature, but does it work?

Does anyone have a new or current list of compatable cameras that will communicate and send photos to the 942. I tried my Uncles camera a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 via USB to the front it detected it, but it shows nothing in the on screen file listing. Oh well. Tommorrow Ill have to try my Olympus Evolt E-300, or my Bosses Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2. I also may have access to a Canon EOS Digital Rebel. Ill post my findings. If anyone else finds out any info please post it here or post your findings.

Tried my Olympus Evolt E-300 no luck it detects but no photos. Also tried hooking it up to my card reader no detection no luck.

onsiteSat said:
Does anyone have a new or current list of compatable cameras that will communicate and send photos to the 942. I tried my Uncles camera a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 via USB to the front it detected it, but it shows nothing in the on screen file listing. Oh well. Tommorrow Ill have to try my Olympus Evolt E-300, or my Bosses Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2. I also may have access to a Canon EOS Digital Rebel. Ill post my findings. If anyone else finds out any info please post it here or post your findings.

My HP camera works fine !

I put about 350 pictures on a USB key and plugged it into the 942. Then I copied the pictures onto the 942 and did a slideshow. The pictures looked better than I expected. My kids loved it. My wife now expects a slideshow after every picture taking event. Overall I find it to be a painless exercise.

Just tried a Coworkers Canon EOS Digital Rebel no luck it comes up as a unsupported device.

Edit: Ok My mistake I was selected the wrong the wrong menu options My Olympus works fine and so does my uncles Sony.

Tutorial

Instructions for hooking up camera to 942:
1. Plug camera, memory reader, or USB key into USB port (the receiver will notify you if your device is supported or not.)

2. If it is supported choose Yes.

3. It will open Multimedia Page.

4. Go to option 2 USB storage.

5. Choose option Get from device.

6. This will bring up a listing from your camera.

7. From here you can choose photos from your camera to transfer to your 942 .

8. Choose photos from this list (pressing the info button will preview photo)

9. now choose send photos, Photos will be sent to device while this is occurring you can watch tv in full screen by choosing Watch TV.

10. After transfer is complete back in the multimedia menu will allow you to choose option 1 My Photos.

11. A Listing will display your photos organized in folders. choosing options on the side allow you to watch a slideshow, edit the files inside, rename the file list, or exit.

12. by choosing the file folder(s) you want and selecting slideshow it will start a rotating slideshow with auto advancing or manual advancing choose play and you on the way!

Attachments

• 942_deviceConnected.jpg
    942_deviceConnected.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 942_multimediaMenu.jpg
    942_multimediaMenu.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 942_usbStorageMenu2.jpg
    942_usbStorageMenu2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 942_usbStorageLoadingFileLi.jpg
    942_usbStorageLoadingFileLi.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 942_usbStoragePhotoList.jpg
    942_usbStoragePhotoList.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 942_transferring.jpg
    942_transferring.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 942_successfullyTransferred.jpg
    942_successfullyTransferred.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 942_myPhotosList.jpg
    942_myPhotosList.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 942_slideshowOptions.jpg
    942_slideshowOptions.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 219
Devices that appear to a PC to be a "USB Mass Storage Device" should work with the 942.

Anything that requires vendor-supplied software/drivers to work with a PC will not.

Things that are neither probably won't.

So far I've only heard of 942's having this ability...can I also do this with my 625? If not what the heck is the USB on the back used for?

jballa91 said:
So far I've only heard of 942's having this ability...can I also do this with my 625? If not what the heck is the USB on the back used for?

Tried that with a 522 As soon as I hooked up the camera it crashed the reciever!

My Fuji Finepix doesn't do anything when I plug it in. Actually, the camera recognizes that it's hooked to a USB port, but the 942 doesn't do anything.

It's an old one (5 years at least), so I'm not surprised.

Hows the picture quality? Is it full 1080i? That should look great? I was looking at the Roku 1000 to do just this.

And what kind of control is there to zoom or crop to 16x9?

The tech at Dish said that there is rotating functionality. I guess there would be the usual zoom and stretch of the image as with any 4x3 sd video content?

Has anyone created a list of approved/tested USB devices for the 942? So far, I have been able to pull off images from everything I have plugged into it:

- Sony DCR-TRV340 Camcorder w/2Gb memory card
- Nikon D-50 digital camera
- An old 128Mb flash drive
- USB secure digital card reader w/2 Gb memory card

Last edited:
chuckdfoster said:
What type of USB key have ya'll been using?
It really shouldn't matter and if it does, well, some keys will work and others won't. All USB keys should appears as "USB Mass Storage" devices to any hardware or OS that they connect to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)