New access cards?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KirkM

Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Very informative place!

Anyway, I received new access cards in the mail today for my vintage 1999 Dish 500 receiver. Does anyone know why I need new cards? The explanation from Dish is because "your old blue cards will stop working within 2-3 weeks." Must be more to it than that.

Kirk

Simple answer is once Dish has all the blue cards shutoff the hackers will not be able to steal the signal.

Well the benifit to you is if you swap the cards you'll get to continue watching your programing.

My friend told me about this yesterday on AIM. I know some people that used to be into the "pirate" scene who also have told me they were sent new cards but of course due to rules I cannot talk much more about it.

By the way what are these blue cards? I signed up for dish year and a half ago, am I going to need to replace my cards?

new smartcards

the blue smartcards are being replaced for 2 reasons. the first is security, the second is memory size of the chip in the blue cards are getting too small to handle increased information with more channels, longer program guides, expanding features, and more info we have to store on the cards like all your programming codes (physical address for dma info and blackout info, correct epg time, subscription information, ppv storage). they are all being replaced free of charge right now. we send you the cards with info on which receivers get which new cards.

Finally insider came to us with usefull information; since you're here, could you tell us how big the improvment in term of CPU speed, memory size of the new cards ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)