New appreciation of Dish.

Almost

Anyway, you're better off the the Sammy Plasma. Love mine! Almost got in a fight with a guy in the barber shop who maintained the inferiority of plasma PQ.:D

You almost got into a fight? You shoulda kicked his ass. It is 4 sure ID 10 T certified. Plasma's have real blacks nothing else does.

I heard plasmas run hotter and consume more electricity than LCDs. Is that still true?
Yes, they tend to generate a little more heat.
Power consumption I am not sure about....
One can look up specs on these tv's to obtain that info.
I would place plasma tv's in well ventilated rooms.
And navychop is correct about plasma tv's and rooms with a lot of ambient light. Not a good mix.
In fact any large screen tv would have some issues in rooms where there is a lotof direct sunlight entering the room. In these cases, light should be controlled with shades or blinds.
Some brands of LCD tv's have a setting that allows the tv to "measure" or sense the ambient light and adjust themselves.

I do not care for this feature. I would rather adjust the tv myself.

Plasma's typically consume more power than most lcds, to me though its not likely to break the bank.
I do not like 120hz lcds at all, to me it makes the motion look unnatural and makes Blu-rays and DVDs look like they were shot on video.

I love my Pioneer plasma and hope not to upgrade til 3D oled tvs come out in the year 2025.

I heard something about a HDNET test pattern they play but can't find it with search. Thanks to all.

When I was in college, I worked for a company called Theatre Sound Services in Milwaukee. We were frequently called upon by film studios and directors to "make the picture on the sheet and the sound in the auditorium look and sound right for our premier."

It was not unheard of for Stanley Kuberick's secretary to call from London and tell the owner that he didn't care if Gerald had to "run the booth himself and lock the projectionist out for the premier night" - he wanted the picture to look and sound the way he intended it to look and sound: not how some projectionist had decided it should be presented. I was well trained on the tools of the trade and educated in how film should look on the big screen.

Television always bothered me because, while the analog sets got better and better at their ability to present a good product, there were always the problems of the limitations of the broadcast facility, the capabilities of the sets [always swore by Sony Trinitrons - bought my first one in 1972, still plays, and it's never been serviced!]

When the new digital sets came out, I was skeptical, not an early adopter. We've had Dish since day one, and were happy to see HD, but even that didn't lend itself to pushing us actually buy until it was mandated that the terrestrial broadcast stations - the locals, anti-up and make the switch to digital. In Chicago, we are truly blessed to have two very well run stations, WGN - the original; and one of several extremely well run PBS affiliates - with engineers who care and an almost unlimited budget which allows them to purchase all of the best digital broadcast toys, WTTW - Channel 11.

So, we took the plunge and started to research HD sets. We looked at specs, compared prices, read the reviews, and consulted Consumer Reports. We took our time, and, while we liked what we saw in several cases, we just couldn't see ourselves parting with between $3000.00 and $5,000.00 dollars. We had never seen a great looking set - even in a controlled environment - even when they were "well adjusted" - because most of them looked like crap in the show-off spaces.

When I found a Philips 52" [52PFL7403D] on eBay, for $1,200.00, delivered from Texas, no sales tax, no delivery charge, we talked it over and bought it for the buy-it-now price. Turns out the guy had been caught in an overstock situation when the markets tanked and was desperate to get the product out the door - to our advantage. We have subsequently gone on to purchase a 37" Philips for the bedroom, and two additional 19" Philips [19PFL3504D - Target - less than $200.00 on sale - and still available!] in my office and my partner's studio.

The best we have found to setup new HD sets is using Amazon.com: Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray]: Joe Kane: Gateway@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FMBadQJeL.@@AMEPARAM@@51FMBadQJeL

the VIDEO ESSENTIALS: HD BASICS Blu-Ray Disk from Amazon.com.

After setting the Philips sets up with Digital Video Essentials, they look as if you are watching TCM through a window. When you watch COMPLETE Blu-Ray restorations like THE WIZARD OF OZ, or GONE WITH THE WIND, you can see the stitching in fabric worn by the actors: you can see detail on the Munchkins in OZ that you never knew was there; you can see the particles of smoke in the air when the Wicked Witch of the West arrives.

NOTE: We found that DISABLING the "automatic" controls: noise, brightness, and everything else, helped IMMENSELY to get a good quality picture.

Even Dish Network HD Lite looks pretty good. The off-the-air signal for the local PBS affiliate, WTTW, look like you could walk through the screen and into the studio.

This setup disk is amazing. Created by professionals, who work with HD all day long, it will absolutely give you the finest looking picture you have ever seen on any HD set.

Be advised, it can take several hours to run the entire setup routine, test, walk away when your eyes get blurry, and then go back and do it all over again - several times if you really want an outstanding picture.

Surround sound can be setup using this DVD as well. The 7.1 channel surround in the living room rocks the house when explosions take place in war movies, yet every word is articulate, even during action scenes and over music, in well mixed audio tracks.

Once you're done, you will be astonished. What you thought was a good picture, after having set it up using test patterns and your eye, or the setup from commercial DVDs will be blown away by your new results.

One warning: you may get flack from those who insist, "it doesn't look right!"

They will insist that Sponge Bob is the wrong color; demand the color be hotter; scream about the picture not being bright enough, etc, etc, etc.

We solved the problem of friends changing the settings by literally locking the television remotes up in the safe.

Now the only controls are the DN remote and the Blu-ray player remote.

The reviews at Amazon go into a lot more of the DVD's technical detail, so be certain to read them, whether you purchase the setup DVD or not.

In my opinion, you will not go wrong acquiring this amazing tool!

Last edited:
Plama is better. Hands down. Got that from a guy I used to work with who is very knowledgable.. He expalined it well.
LCD tv's are backlit. The white areas bleed over to the black areas. So the colors are not as sharp and neither are the edges of the images.
Plasma used to have life expectancy issues. No more. They are rated to last just as long as LCD tv's. Plasmas used to have issues with price. Cost was higher.
Price points for plasmas are competitive with LCD's.

BINGO! You are absolutely correct. Plasmas do have the best, most accurate picture. Some of the high end LEDs are pretty close too but you have to pay a premium.

Plasmas do have some drawbacks though. If glare is an issue in your room then you will not be happy with a plasma. That is about the biggest problem I see with them. I've got a Samsung 58" plasma and love it. I sell Samsung and LG LCD, LED and plasmas and I am a firm believer that plasmas are the best looking tv for the best price.

When I was in college, I worked for a company called Theatre Sound Services in Milwaukee. We were frequently called upon by film studios and directors to "make the picture on the sheet and the sound in the auditorium look and sound right for our premier."

It was not unheard of for Stanley Kuberick's secretary to call from London and tell the owner that he didn't care if Gerald had to "run the booth himself and lock the projectionist out for the premier night" - he wanted the picture to look and sound the way he intended it to look and sound: not how some projectionist had decided it should be presented. I was well trained on the tools of the trade and educated in how film should look on the big screen.

Television always bothered me because, while the analog sets got better and better at their ability to present a good product, there were always the problems of the limitations of the broadcast facility, the capabilities of the sets [always swore by Sony Trinitrons - bought my first one in 1972, still plays, and it's never been serviced!]

When the new digital sets came out, I was skeptical, not an early adopter. We've had Dish since day one, and were happy to see HD, but even that didn't lend itself to pushing us actually buy until it was mandated that the terrestrial broadcast stations - the locals, anti-up and make the switch to digital. In Chicago, we are truly blessed to have two very well run stations, WGN - the original; and one of several extremely well run PBS affiliates - with engineers who care and an almost unlimited budget which allows them to purchase all of the best digital broadcast toys, WTTW - Channel 11.

So, we took the plunge and started to research HD sets. We looked at specs, compared prices, read the reviews, and consulted Consumer Reports. We took our time, and, while we liked what we saw in several cases, we just couldn't see ourselves parting with between $3000.00 and $5,000.00 dollars. We had never seen a great looking set - even in a controlled environment - even when they were "well adjusted" - because most of them looked like crap in the show-off spaces.

When I found a Philips 52" [52PFL7403D] on eBay, for $1,200.00, delivered from Texas, no sales tax, no delivery charge, we talked it over and bought it for the buy-it-now price. Turns out the guy had been caught in an overstock situation when the markets tanked and was desperate to get the product out the door - to our advantage. We have subsequently gone on to purchase a 37" Philips for the bedroom, and two additional 19" Philips [19PFL3504D - Target - less than $200.00 on sale - and still available!] in my office and my partner's studio.

The best we have found to setup new HD sets is using Amazon.com: Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray]: Joe Kane: Gateway

the VIDEO ESSENTIALS: HD BASICS Blu-Ray Disk from Amazon.com.

After setting the Philips sets up with Digital Video Essentials, they look as if you are watching TCM through a window. When you watch COMPLETE Blu-Ray restorations like THE WIZARD OF OZ, or GONE WITH THE WIND, you can see the stitching in fabric worn by the actors: you can see detail on the Munchkins in OZ that you never knew was there; you can see the particles of smoke in the air when the Wicked Witch of the West arrives.

NOTE: We found that DISABLING the "automatic" controls: noise, brightness, and everything else, helped IMMENSELY to get a good quality picture.

Even Dish Network HD Lite looks pretty good. The off-the-air signal for the local PBS affiliate, WTTW, look like you could walk through the screen and into the studio.

This setup disk is amazing. Created by professionals, who work with HD all day long, it will absolutely give you the finest looking picture you have ever seen on any HD set.

Be advised, it can take several hours to run the entire setup routine, test, walk away when your eyes get blurry, and then go back and do it all over again - several times if you really want an outstanding picture.

Surround sound can be setup using this DVD as well. The 7.1 channel surround in the living room rocks the house when explosions take place in war movies, yet every word is articulate, even during action scenes and over music, in well mixed audio tracks.

Once you're done, you will be astonished. What you thought was a good picture, after having set it up using test patterns and your eye, or the setup from commercial DVDs will be blown away by your new results.

One warning: you may get flack from those who insist, "it doesn't look right!"

They will insist that Sponge Bob is the wrong color; demand the color be hotter; scream about the picture not being bright enough, etc, etc, etc.

We solved the problem of friends changing the settings by literally locking the television remotes up in the safe.

Now the only controls are the DN remote and the Blu-ray player remote.

The reviews at Amazon go into a lot more of the DVD's technical detail, so be certain to read them, whether you purchase the setup DVD or not.

In my opinion, you will not go wrong acquiring this amazing tool!

Being Chicago born & raised, I really miss WTTW. As you said, it's one of the best channels out there. WGN is also a favorite, so much so that it was a big reason I picked E* over D*. I know I don't get the exact programming you get in Chicago, but at least I can catch the Chicago news at Noon and 9pm.

I also understand what you are saying about a correctly calibrated HD TV. I haven't used a DVD to calibrate it yet, because I don't have a Blu-ray player (hopefully, next week if I can persuade the CFO:D), but I did use some settings I found on the AVS Forum for my Samsung. There was a big discussion about the lack of "pop" on a correctly calibrated set. Many out there think HD means the colors should almost glow, and that's not the case. Some people think my TV is, let's say, not that exciting to watch, because it doesn't have that high color output, but it does show true colors as you would see in the real world, and on films like Transformers the colors are rich and real looking, not over saturated. IOW, watching Transformers (and just about any thing else) is awesome on my Sammy.:)

Yes, I'm bragging and I don't care!:D
Ghpr13:)

. . . I don't have a Blu-ray player (hopefully, next week if I can persuade the CFO:D) . . .

. . . Yes, I'm bragging and I don't care!:D

The prices of Blu-Ray players have dropped through the floors. Check out the LG series of players on one of my two favorite sites to purchase things: AMAZON [the other is eBay, of course!].

The LG series of Blu-Ray players have built in wireless. They update the software - giving you notice automatically, when you first turn them on, if they are connected to a network and an update is available. In the very slight event you DO have a technical issue with an LG product, the tech support staff literally bends over backward to accommodate you to resolve the issue - repeatedly following up to see if the fix caused any new issues.

If two items are closely rated by Consumer Reports, we will ALWAYS go with the better customer service over the product. LG wins hands-down.

There are many good product reviews for LG on Amazon.

The prices of Blu-Ray players have dropped through the floors. Check out the LG series of players on one of my two favorite sites to purchase things: AMAZON [the other is eBay, of course!].

The LG series of Blu-Ray players have built in wireless. They update the software - giving you notice automatically, when you first turn them on, if they are connected to a network and an update is available. In the very slight event you DO have a technical issue with an LG product, the tech support staff literally bends over backward to accommodate you to resolve the issue - repeatedly following up to see if the fix caused any new issues.

If two items are closely rated by Consumer Reports, we will ALWAYS go with the better customer service over the product. LG wins hands-down.

There are many good product reviews for LG on Amazon.

Thanks for the info!

This thread is definitely on the way to winning the award for the most off-topic posts in a single thread. :)

I might as well add my 2 cents. I also like plasma TVs. They have the best blacks, highest contrast ratio, no motion blur, and infinite viewing angle. Also, they tend to cost less for the larger size TVs. The only time that I would not buy a plasma is if I watched TV in a very bright room most of the time.

This thread is definitely on the way to winning the award for the most off-topic posts in a single thread. :)

I might as well add my 2 cents. I also like plasma TVs. They have the best blacks, highest contrast ratio, no motion blur, and infinite viewing angle. Also, they tend to cost less for the larger size TVs. The only time that I would not buy a plasma is if I watched TV in a very bright room most of the time.

I guess we ran out of "New Appreciations" for Dish!:D

New appreciation of Dish

Up where we live at 6,000 feet above sea level no one even offers plasmas except for special high-altitude plasmas that are really pricey. And, when you go on down the road a few miles and get to Telluride at 8,500 to 9,500 feet, plasmas do a Rice Crispies imitation - snap, crackle and pop! Back when I was in the computer business HP would not honor Laserjet warranties to any address above 7,500 feet and Kyocera would not sell laser printers anywhere in Colorado after getting a state-wide bid for schools and watching nearly half of them suffer immediate drum failures due to arcing in the thin dry air.

Up where we live at 6,000 feet above sea level no one even offers plasmas except for special high-altitude plasmas that are really pricey. And, when you go on down the road a few miles and get to Telluride at 8,500 to 9,500 feet, plasmas do a Rice Crispies imitation - snap, crackle and pop! Back when I was in the computer business HP would not honor Laserjet warranties to any address above 7,500 feet and Kyocera would not sell laser printers anywhere in Colorado after getting a state-wide bid for schools and watching nearly half of them suffer immediate drum failures due to arcing in the thin dry air.

We live at 8500FT and recently bought an LG Plasma, because it is the only brand that can handle the altitude. All current LG Plasmas are rated for 9514FT. Our 50PK550 is great here in the Colorado mountains. No buzz, or any other issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)