New Archos (PocketDish) Player Roadmap PDF and Flash Video

I wish they supported file downloads from older Dish receivers like the 508's. I know I won't want to wait an hour to download an hour program. I guess the problem is there is no output on those receivers that would allow a file download.

In fairness to PocketDish early adopters, I hope that Dish follows through and issues a software update that will allow the PD first generation units to accept downrezzed HD content.

I usually don't trust software update promises, which is why I skipped buying the first generation units -- not having downrezzed HD transfer capability in a $500 product (price at the time) just didn't seem like a value proposition to me considering how much I enjoyed some of the HD shows on Dish.

The upcoming models sound just fabulous -- the small 16:9 screen displaying DVD-quality images should make downressed HD content at 480p look terrific.

If Dish adopts phone company marketing tactics, they should sell a boatload of these things to both new and existing subscribers -- optionally extend your service contract by 24-months and get the new version of the DV500 for $99.

PocketDish gives Dish a HUGE competitive advantage over cable and DirectTV.

I just hope that Dish marketing and management get a clue.

David,

I agree with your assessment. I, myself, will buy the new pocketdish if it comes out with all these features. It will be a no brainer since I commute to work 5 days a week. I love the pocketdish (even within the limitations of the first generation unit). I will love even more the 2nd generation of pocketdish.

David Dietzel said:
In fairness to PocketDish early adopters, I hope that Dish follows through and issues a software update that will allow the PD first generation units to accept downrezzed HD content.

Amen to that. I hardly even use my AV700 because I can't transfer HD. It's just an expensive paper weight. (Sure it can do mp3's and wma's, but so does my in-dash CD player in the car.) I don't watch SD programming.

Personally, I'd also like to see a higher resolution screen (with a higher color bit depth) on the new version. The current AV700, everything is blocky and the colors are crushed way too much and causes banding.

I do alot of digital SLR photography and I'll also be using the new PocketDish to offload images from my flash card and keep shooting all day long!

I'll also use it to carry and watch tons of video podcasts!

And with GPS, I'll always be able to locate the closest Taco Bell!!!!

PocketDish -- I won't leave home without it!

Guy's is the clarity difference between the 500 and the 700 that much of an issue. I know certain reviews say that there is . Thanks for the comments. Mike

I do not see Dish offering upgrade deals for those that have already purchased the pocketdishes. They make no monthly profits from it, just a one time profit. I personally would hold out for the new units which look very promissing. I figured it wouldn't be long and that there would be huge improvements seeing that this was the first product of this kind made by Dish.

dishMIKE said:
Guy's is the clarity difference between the 500 and the 700 that much of an issue. I know certain reviews say that there is . Thanks for the comments. Mike
I've never seen the 500, but I know the 700 could use some major improvement when it comes to picture quality. It's quite blocky (kinda like the difference between a super nintendo and nintendo 64) and the colors are crushed big time.

jbcheshire:

I passed on the current PocketDish units when they released last year -- I do not own a PocketDish unit.

But I certainly WILL own a new 2006/2007 model when they are expected to release at the end of summer or early fall.

A video podcast is simply a media file whose location on a server is coded into a RSS feed to which one can subscribe, ie, when you subscribe to a podcast. You do not need an iPod or even iTunes to subscribe to and enjoy video podcasts. A podcast can be played on your desktop computer or a portable device like an iPod or DishPlayer.

The new DishPlayers will handle far more file formats than the iPod, so you will be able to watch lots of content.

Use an application like Lemon if you don't have iTunes to find and subscribe to podcasts. Watch them on your desktop. You should be able to drag and drop them to most portable players. Most video podcasts are in WMV or MP4 formats, both of with the new PocketDish units look like they will support (among other formats).

Dish really needs to get on the marketing bandwagon with the new PocketDish units. Educators, photographers, trainers, salespeople, contractors, students, podcasters, compliance support, and TV wingnuts like me will all find a use for these exciting new PD tools.

Thanks David!!

What I really want are videos of Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, as well as Battlestar Galactica. So, I did some checking and found that I could download some Itunes videos for BSG and convert them to WMV or AVI formats using a program called Tunebite. The reason I found Tunebite to be the best is because some of the Itunes programs are encrypted with DRM and tunebite strips that off for you so that you can play it on your PD.

Do you or anyone know where I can find the Stargate series videos for this upcoming season for downloading?

Last edited:
Archos 67% Revenue Growth and 87% Increase In American Sales

Archos has seen huge increases in sales and revenues from its portable media devices. Sales in Asia have increased 110% and they have a 40% market share in China.

They are in negotiations with Dish to offer the next PocketDish units under the Archos name with the moniker "Dish Network Compatible".

Wonderful things are coming for PocketDish fanboys very soon:

http://www.actusnews.com/communique.php?ID=ACTUS-0-6830

Last night, when I got home from work, there was a 5 minute PocketDish video on my 622. I watched it. Pretty good little marketing video and I thought it was neat that it was pushed down automatically to the DVR.

Anybody else get this?

They might have this video on the DVR's because they know that they would love the DVR functions on a portable DVR and they want to deplete their current stock of their pocketdishes to make room for the new ones. The big reason is it is FREE advertisement!

New Pocket Dish Units Info 404 and 604

PocketDish Fanboys:

A French site has more details on the upcoming PocketDish 404 and 604 models.

I suspect most folks will want the 604 unit with a tentative US suggested retail price of roughly $500 (I suspect the online "street" price will be less, maybe $399 or less).

I can hardly wait!

Translated: http://translate.google.com/transla...specifications-des-nouveaux-archos-404-et-604

David Dietzel said:
PocketDish Fanboys:

A French site has more details on the upcoming PocketDish 404 and 604 models.

I suspect most folks will want the 604 unit with a tentative US suggested retail price of roughly $500 (I suspect the online "street" price will be less, maybe $399 or less).

I can hardly wait!

Translated: http://translate.google.com/transla...specifications-des-nouveaux-archos-404-et-604
Perhaps its because I cannot read french. I see nothing on the earlier archos english site about the new models and when I switch to french cannot locate anything about them as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts