New Archos (PocketDish) Player Roadmap PDF and Flash Video

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
New Archos (PocketDish) Player Roadmap PDF and Flash Video and GREAT CNET REVIEW

PocketDish Fanboys:

Looks like Archos is about to drop updated replacements for the AV500 and AV700 into the marketplace and our hot little hands. Perhaps by the end of summer.

Not just Wifi, but GPS and built-in Web browser and other features of insane goodness too numerous to mention.

The unit that appears to be a replacement for the AV500 has my techno-lust-ometer redlining!

http://www.archos.com/corporate/investors/investor_kit.html?country=global

http://reviews.cnet.com/Archos_604_30GB/4505-6499_7-32027903-2.html?tag=nav

Last edited:
Despite the fact that Echostar was prominently shown in that PDF it sure looked more Eurocentric than anything that will hit the states anytime soon.

Sam

Archos is a French outfit, so naturally the info is spun in the direction of that market and those shareholders -- Archos products usually hit the USA shortly after their homeland introduction. I suspect the new PocketDish units will be available in quantity to USA consumers by the holidays (November 2006).

It sure looks as though they will have Wifi, GPS, built-in browser, and HD downrezzed transfer. If they actually do ship with these features and the price is reasonable, I'll pick one up lickitysplit.

DISH MARKETING: Will you please market these things properly to both existing and new subscribers? I know you can do it. I know deep down inside you are smart people, even though previous marketing campaigns for players and service suggest otherwise. For example, in exchange for extending one's service contract an additional 24-months, the new version of the "AV500" could be offered for as little as $99, plus shipping and tax; the new "AV700" for $199.

It works for Verizon and Cingular, my friends. The PocketDish will essentially be Dish's "mobile device" or "handheld service device", like the cell phone is for the phone companies.

DirectTV has nothing like the PocketDish. Cable has nothing like the PocketDish.

Please recognize your competitive advantage and use the new PocketDish units to both grow and keep subscribers.

Last edited:
I agree... I haven't purchased one because right now I don't have the cash, and if I did buy one it would be the AV500. If dish would eat part of the cost and do an extension on my contract that would totally be worth it to me. I would sign another contract in a heartbeat, but for the ease of watching my shows on the go... I currently use a TIVO series2 and the TIVO To Go with my Treo650, and it is PAINFULLY slow.... first it transfers it, then re-encodes it into a format that can be played on the 650, it takes forever....

Please, Dish , give me an offer I can't refuse ;)

I have been very happy with my pocketdish. These will be welcome additions. Hey dish when are we going to the software that will allow us to download HDTV content to the pocket dish? We need this desperately.

The new versions of the pocketdish will allow you to transfer HD content as well as content from your OTA tuners on your 622 (no matter if its HD or not)

Sean:

The fact that the current PocketDish units do not allow for HD transfer is what kept me from buying one. I figured that the next generation would likely include HD transfer as a feature and with more and more content going HD, this feature will become essential in all PVP units. According to the PDF, it looks like HD will be downrezzed to widescreen 480p (in other words, DVD-quality and 16:9 display, which are both a big improvement over the current video iPod, which I happen to have).

The new docking station looks improved, but it still looks like s-video and composite connection, rather than component.

I'm looking forward to the new "AV500" (whatever they wind up calling it) and hacking a big wanger hard drive into the thing.

Looks like a fun holiday season coming up for Dish subscribers!

This looks very promising. Only if DISH can market it properly, though. They should sell these at Sears and other DISH equipment retailers.

Heck, I'd sell them, too, if I can return these if customers don't want 'em and have opened them.

I had a talk with Charlie about this at Team Summit.

I suggested that for anyone getting a HD DVR they should be also given a PocketDISH for a free 30 day in home trial. If the customer keeps it past 30 days then they pay for it in 4 easy installments.

He said it was a good idea and asked why I wasnt working in their marketing department.

The PocketDISH is an EXCELLENT product, sure it has a few things that could be improved, but with the current marketing no one knows what it can do or how great a product it really is.

I agree that the current PocketDish is a TERRIFIC product.

The new ones coming down the pike with possible GPS, Wifi, Web browser, Web email, and DVD-quality widescreen display will be ENORMOUS hits in the marketplace IF DISH MARKETING CAN GET ITS ACT TOGETHER .

EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS:

Allows easy transfer and play of both digital video and audio files for on-demand learning. Digital lectures and podcasts can be pulled down wirelessly anywhere. Record presentations directly to the device at educators' conferences.

CORPORATE TRAINING:

Busy traveling staff can pull down corporate compliance training videos at will.

SALES STAFF:

Salepersons can show clients all kinds of material on the display or hook it to a plasma screen in the clients conference room. Realtors should buy a PocketDish yesterday. GPS, Web browsing and Web email capability in such a compact unit will be invaluable.

HEALTHCARE:

Training and compliance audio and video files are at your fingertips. Procedures and patient interviews can be recorded directly to the PocketDish.

TV GEEKS:

Well, we know who we are and what we'll do with it.

PLACEMENT:

* Costco no longer carries Dish. They carry DirectTV. What the hell happened?????
* Sears carries Dish. Get the PocketDish into every Sears store. Now.
* Get the PocketDish into Newegg, Buy, Amazon and Dell online sites.
* Get PocketDish images and usage into the running HD demo channel video.

OFFERS:

* Extend ones service by 24-months, get AV500 for $99 or AV700 for $199.

* New Sears HD-DVR subs get HANDED a FREE 30-day trial AV500 AT THE STORE and can buy for $99 at end of period if they accept a 24-month contract extension or no extension and buy full price with four easy payments.

* New HD-DVR subs over the phone to Dish or other installers get shipped a FREE 30-day trial AV500 with their HD-DVR and can buy for $99 at end of period if they accept a 24-month contract extension or no extension and buy full price with four easy payments.

MORE MARKETING:

* Get back into Costco!

* Start a VIDEO PODCAST that shows these PocketDish units in action, as well as Dish services. Get podcasters interested in making content for these devices, not just the iPod. Show how the PD display blows away the iPod. Show how easy it is to encode a podcast for the PD widescreen format.

* Get a booth at the Onatrio, California Podcasting Conference in September.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Hire Scott and I as "marketing consultants". Please. You need us. Badly.

Last edited:
Looks like the new models have h.264 decoding (it was in one of the slides).

So, how long until E* switches all content to h.264 ?

I cannot wait until the new ones come out. I did not buy one this time around because I seen the cost as a little high considering that it's main purpose would be for only tv and I did not do much travelling. With all of these additional features being added I could see additional reasons for purchasing it and may finally take the plunge next time around.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The current PocketDish's also support h.264 (Mpeg4)

Are you sure? I tried one and couldn't get it to play. I'll have to give it another shot.

Basic mpeg4/divx/xvid have been fine. h.264 is a different beast. Have you seen any archos docs listing h.264?

According to the PDF in the first post of this thread, the new units will support H.264 for sure; I'm not really sure that the old units did H.264 unless a firmware update allowed it. H.264 really didn't roll out in a big way until the video iPod released, which was after the current PocketDish line was widely available.

At any rate, the upcoming PocketDish units look maaarhvelous, simply maaarhvelous!

Professional photographers can dump off their images into one and keep on shooting; wide video format support means an all-purpose viewing device; widescreen display with DVD-quality means terrific clarity and readability in the training, education and vodvasting markets; DVR functionality means never missing a televised show ever again; GPS means never getting lost; wifi means viewing Web sites and email anywhere you can find a wireless access point.

Good grief, I'm having heart palpitations!

The new PocketDish isn't just for TV geeks anymore!

I purchased one of the first units and paid $500. plus. I have a 622 and 942 and would like to record the hd programming and movies. Also, I cannot see forking out more big bucks to get the new features. Hopefully Dish will come out with some program where current customers can upgrade or download these into current units. I have the AV700, and really like it, even with it's limited use.

dewey brunner said:
I purchased one of the first units and paid $500. plus. I have a 622 and 942 and would like to record the hd programming and movies.

And this is what I thought that Jim Defranco and others said in their monthly chats. That the current dishpocket will be able to downrezise the HD programs to be able to download (through USB port) to Dishpocket. They said it was just a software upgrade. If they can do this, it will last me for a good while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts