New BBC Streaming Service

Sounds like you will be missing a lot though.

I pay $200 a year to have a Slingbox hooked up to a FreeSat Box in London. Works great. :)

BBC, ITV Partner for U.S. Streaming Service BritBox, AMC Networks to Take Minority Stake

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/bbc-itv-streaming-service-u-s-britbox-1201940621/

BritBox will launch in the first quarter of 2017 in the U.S.; details about price will be revealed then. At the start, the service will premiere dramas like “New Blood,” “In the Dark,” and “Silent Witness,” in addition to hosting a library of classics like “Pride and Prejudice,” “Fawlty Towers,” and “Upstairs Downstairs.” Certain current U.K. series, like “EastEnders” and “Emmerdale,” will be available for U.S. customers to stream as early as 24 hours after they appear on British airwaves.

Reactions: Tampa8
This has been a rumor for quite some time now. I'm sure BBC/ITV will be pulling their content from Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu in the coming months. But what about PBS and Acorn TV? If those services lose this content, they both will be seriously hurting. I'm sure it will be priced around $9.99 per month too. I would have to drop a current service to sub to this, which I wouldn't do. I can find around 90%+ of this content at the libraries around me, so all I have to do is wait a bit to get the new stuff on disc.

I pay $200 a year to have a Slingbox hooked up to a FreeSat Box in London. Works great. :)

Yes, but not everybody has a connection in the UK. ;)

It's not a TV he's hooked up to. I think they tax actual televisions, not tuners.

I was curious because apparently you can't even stream the BBC online anymore without paying the tax now, which was how a lot of Brits were getting out of paying the tax. I believe that that affected a lot of ex-pat streaming services.

I was curious because apparently you can't even stream the BBC online anymore without paying the tax now, which was how a lot of Brits were getting out of paying the tax. I believe that that affected a lot of ex-pat streaming services.

You can still watch online. They just put a box up onscreen before I player starts that you check saying yes you've paid for a tv license.

I do wonder how it will affect PBS and Amazon.
PBS will continue to pay $$$, possibly more $$$ for US Rights, but I would suspect that those rights would be only for Premiere and then only for a short time. PBS is still a great source of income to BBC. However, PBS is not the only source of programming for local public television stations. Some of the most popular shows on local stations is Brit programming from 3rd party APT or other sources, which includes content from BBC, Channel 4, and other TV commercial services in the UK. However, while almost all of that content is also available at Hulu and/or Netflix, less so Amazon, I've noticed that neither streaming service has the latest series until AFTER the lcoal stations have premiered that content and can't as long as a YEAR. Of course, content that does not fit local public TV stations image will be part of that "premiered 24 hours later" stuff on the new service to be launched.

In other words, I doubt much will change for PBS and 3rd party providers because they are a cash cow now to the Brits, and PBS would be DEAD without Brit content and would pay whatever it might take, especially content from BBC, as those prime-time shows fuel the fundraisers for the local stations, who in turn pay ridiculous amounts in dues to PBS for rights to the PBS National Program Service. PBS and locals also funded by CPB for all sorts of other costs.

Also, concurrent rights for a number of different channels or platforms is often the case and can be the case here, while reserving exclusive premieres for the new service when necessary, but then exclusive only for a fairly short time.

PBS will continue to pay $$$, possibly more $$$ for US Rights, but I would suspect that those rights would be only for Premiere and then only for a short time. PBS is still a great source of income to BBC. However, PBS is not the only source of programming for local public television stations. Some of the most popular shows on local stations is Brit programming from 3rd party APT or other sources, which includes content from BBC, Channel 4, and other TV commercial services in the UK. However, while almost all of that content is also available at Hulu and/or Netflix, less so Amazon, I've noticed that neither streaming service has the latest series until AFTER the lcoal stations have premiered that content and can't as long as a YEAR. Of course, content that does not fit local public TV stations image will be part of that "premiered 24 hours later" stuff on the new service to be launched.

In other words, I doubt much will change for PBS and 3rd party providers because they are a cash cow now to the Brits, and PBS would be DEAD without Brit content and would pay whatever it might take, especially content from BBC, as those prime-time shows fuel the fundraisers for the local stations, who in turn pay ridiculous amounts in dues to PBS for rights to the PBS National Program Service. PBS and locals also funded by CPB for all sorts of other costs.

Also, concurrent rights for a number of different channels or platforms is often the case and can be the case here, while reserving exclusive premieres for the new service when necessary, but then exclusive only for a fairly short time.
Great..PBS is not a commercial enterprise..

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Great..PBS is not a commercial enterprise..

Just because an organization is a non-profit doesn't mean that it doesn't have money. Instead of paying shareholders they do other things with it. A local "non-profit" hospital system here in the Detroit area is a perfect example. It pays really nice bonuses to the top executives and purchases plenty of property with it's "extra" cash.

PBS, ACORN, BBC America, Netflix and Amazon only get about 20% of what BBC and ITV put out. There is plenty of programming that isn't and never has been shown here. Some of it may still not, depending on whether there are copyright and distribution conflicts. The Voice UK, Britains Got Talent and Strictly Come Dancing come to mind as shows NBC, Fox and ABC may have exclusive US broadcast rights to the formats of those shows. There are lots of good travel, documentary, cooking type shows in addition to the UK soaps that are never shown in the US.

PBS, ACORN, BBC America, Netflix and Amazon only get about 20% of what BBC and ITV put out. There is plenty of programming that isn't and never has been shown here. Some of it may still not, depending on whether there are copyright and distribution conflicts. The Voice UK, Britains Got Talent and Strictly Come Dancing come to mind as shows NBC, Fox and ABC may have exclusive US broadcast rights to the formats of those shows. There are lots of good travel, documentary, cooking type shows in addition to the UK soaps that are never shown in the US.
Don't forget pointless and the great British bakeoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)