New BD section at Walmart

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well the local walmarts have gone all out. An entire shelf of BD. Tons of BDs priced from 14.96 to 34.98, and no less than 4 players. The $298 RCA (?) one to the BD 30 at $399(?IIRC).

Most movies were around $25. And yes some had dropped down to 14.96.

It looks like Walmart is giving a lot of shelf space to BD, it looks like about 15% of the shelf space in the DVD area now.

Mine too...but Im a renter. I rarely buy now. Has to be something I know 'll see again. I either rent it online or walk into my local block buster. Good job Walmart.

I checked this out a few days ago. Prices were fair for retail, only slightly higher than regular prices online.

They had 4 players, but only one of them on display at my local walmart. One or $299, $349, and two at $399. Memores, Samsung, Sony, and one other that I forget.

Nice looking display, and right in the middle of their electonics section.

It was a nice custom type rack, I wonder who was paying for it? Each movie has a front facing spring slider so when you take a movie out the next one behind slides up. All in black metal.

I hate walmart. I hate feeling like I need a shower when I walk out of the store.

Having that said, I enter the store about once or twice a year to see what's up. I have bought movies there and if I go in there now that would be about the only thing I look for.

Hopefully, the other chains will follow and lower their prices too!

I was in my local WalMart early yesterday while they were stocking the shelves. We aren't getting one of those HD centers at our store but I did see the floorplan flyer sitting out and looked it over. They will be putting these HD centers in about 1200 stores nationwide. They will carry no less than four models of BluRay players, to be placed directly adjacent to the BluRay movie rack. There will be a Sony informational display on the endcap, which looks just like the one they have in Target and Fry's in my area. The best part is the reduction of movie prices. Of particular note to me, they are listing Stargate (the original movie) at $14.96. I paid $19.99 for it at Fry's about 2 months ago and thought I got a deal. Oh well.

I'm a vendor in the Wal-Mart electronics department. I was privy to the the recent resets in all Wal-Marts. Some stores got small areas, other stores got a section, plus TV display, and endcaps with TV/BR machine/PS3 displays.

There are no articles about these types of things. Space is sold everyday in retail.

I'm a vendor in the Wal-Mart electronics department. I was privy to the the recent resets in all Wal-Marts. Some stores got small areas, other stores got a section, plus TV display, and endcaps with TV/BR machine/PS3 displays.

There are no articles about these types of things. Space is sold everyday in retail.

Sounds like Sony getting things in place for the Fall holidays.

Wal-Mart pushing sales of Blu-ray players

With the high definition DVD format war settled, Wal-Mart Stores Inc is now aggressively promoting sales of Blu-ray players. The world's largest retailer said on Tuesday that from June 8-14, it is offering a $100 Wal-Mart gift card with the purchase of any Blu-ray player in its stores.

Rest of Story and Source: Reuters

Copied from another thread. I guess this new display is going up to support the new promotion. BD association must be trying to move BD out to the masses this summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)