Rey

@ your service
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:49:56 -0500
Subject: warning. Please read it

Just last weekend on Friday night we parked in a public parking area. As we drove away I noticed a sticker on the rear window of the car. When I took it off after I got home, it was a receipt for gas. Luckily my friend told me not to stop as it could be someone waiting for me to get out of the car

Then we received this email yesterday:
'WARNING FROM POLICE

THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN

BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR
VEHICLE--NEW WAY TO DO CARJACKINGS (NOT A JOKE)'

Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating...

You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.
You start the engine and shift into Reverse.
When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.
When you reach to the back of your car, that is when the carjackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car.
And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.
If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail.

I hope you will forward this to friends and family

Being vigilant is always a great idea, but I would ALWAYS check out these types of email chain-like materials before forwarding or posting them; their design is to scare and to "trick" people into mass forwarding to the point of possible disruption of web and email services. This is one of the oldest.

snopes.com: Flyers on Car Windows Carjacking

Did this happen to YOU PERSONALLY or is this a copy paste of an e-mail you got?

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp]snopes.com: Flyers on Car Windows Carjacking

First time I heard of this scheme in another warning e-mail was about 5 years ago.

i got this from hialeah police. they often send me emails of certain crimes being committed more than once in my area. but apparently from what you're saying it's nothing new but i posted the email with good intentions.I personally never heard of this before.you're link is word for word compared to my email so i guess it's noithing new but good to know.sorry guys

No biggie. What makes these things work is that they are credible in just about every way except that there is no documented case of the alleged crime. Police departments are even fooled into forwarding these bogus warnings. :)

See ya
Tony

This isnt the first time Ive heard of a police department doing a mass emailing on a bogus event thats ended up on snopes.

This isnt the first time Ive heard of a police department doing a mass emailing on a bogus event thats ended up on snopes.

Yep. I remember the one about the kid being kidnapped and then found drugged, and wearing a dress and wig in the restroom. That one made every paper in the country and was reported as being in THAT town.

Urban legends just take on a life of their own, and the internet has just accelerated it. I must have gotten 10 different ones this season, mostly from the same two well meaning relatives. Sending the snopes pointers seems to have absolutely no effect. I think people want to believe.

How about the one where gang bangers were driving around without their headlights on and as soon as someone would flash their headlights they would go after that person and pop them? I remember that one from 8 or 9 years ago if not more.

i don't get why these stories need to be made up. isn't there enough crime already to be adding B.S. to the pile? again I apologize for posting this thread as I did not know this was B.S. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)