New channel 9645 LF1-?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I happened to be scrolling through the guide last night and noticed a new channel on 9645 called LF1. The information says Shell clearing the air. When you hit select on it you get a program playing and then a prompt for hitting select for more information. When you hit select the interactive guide comes up then a prompt for Play movie, Gtl in practice and ORder for free dvd from SHELL films production.

I hit play movie and the movie started from Shell Films called Clearing the air. A story based on "true" events. It looks like a British cast made up of unkowns in letter box form. A commercial for Shell with a movie like premise. IT last about 5 minutes and they talk about air pollution , converting natural gas to liquid oil or GTL. It was cheesy but kind of informative. You can still use all the skip forward , back , pause features but you shouldn't select cancel to see how long it is ,or it will throw you back out of the movie and you have to start all over again. I have never seen a commercial that you could actually select from the guide . Maybe a way around the dvr skipping by making it a dvr event? Most people would never watch a 5 minute commercial for any product.

Shell bribed DISH to broadcast propaganda to make us think the gas prices are justified? I dunno.

Off topic a bit to be sure, but I'm reminded of the new commercial I've been seeing where GE shows how they're bringing the wonders of health care to rural China. Maybe it's just me, but you have to ask yourself: "What are they thinking?". They're playing this to a US audience, where we've got people from all walks of life that can't afford health care for their children. And I'm supposed to care what their doing in rural China?

At least Wal-Mart knows their base, and their ads lately have attempted to make a case for what they are doing to help low and middle income consumers.

(Certainly, it's debatable how much they are helping said consumers, but I think that all the criticism has forced Wal-Mart to at least make an effort.)

Is this Shell "infomercial" helping to pay for the kick-off of a new television
service from the Christian Radio Consortium? The group that brings you Family
Life Radio? LifeOne

shell

This is pretty amazing. I just e-mailed the admin. of LF1 to ask what the purpose of this informercial is. I can't believe how brazen this is on Shell's part.

I think this might be interesting. I tuned into the channel and it gave a pop up for interactive and by pressing select on the remote it went to what was a loading screen kind of like the ON Demand and once it loaded it gave me the option to Play movie more info or order a free video dvd. i think this could be testing the waters of the On Demand Feature. If they really wanted everyone with a dvr to see this they would have just recorded it to everyones dvr kind of like tivo is doing. i just thought this was interesting.

Mysterious channel 9645

I emailed Dish Network to ask about channel 9645 "LF1" which is showing the Shell:Clearing the air. They keep replying with "please be advised that we do not offer channel 9645". I even tried the online chat and got the same answer. I see that LF1 is LifeOne which has their own satellite. It's odd that it shows up on the guide. I find it very odd that Dish Network doesn't know they're sending that channel....

I am sure that SHell is paying to put their informercial on the satellite. You most likely got one of the uninformed csrs answering your email. I can't see Charlie doing anything for FREE. HE is the Satellite FEE KING you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)