New Channels? Yes? No? I don't care! I'm sticking with Dish :)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

heathriel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
There are so many posts about people who complain about Dish not giving them new content, and Dish not having this channel or that channel or whatever, well - I figure I could share my situation and it might put something into perspective.

I live on a boat, and receive signal through a KVH Tracvision unit. This only allows me to lock on to one satellite at a time. This wouldn't be that bad if I only had one television, as I have an A/B switch, which tells the thing to switch from one satellite to another. It only allows you to program it to two satellites, though, not three.

However, it never accounted for the whole "dual tuner" thing. If you have a DVR, the thing changes channels on its own, and the DVR can't change the A/B pointer - and it doesn't know that one channel is on one and one is on the other.

I basically had to make a decision: Only have one television that works, or have a DVR and only have one satellite's worth of channels at any given time.

If you know anything about these KVH things, you'll know they sell (for $1000), an "HDTV converter" - basically, a switch that allows it to connect to 3 satellites instead of 2. Same problem though - won't work with a DVR - AND that only works with DirecTV satellites. AND DirecTV doesn't offer monthly plans.

Dish, however, has two main satellites, 110 and 119, that I can choose between on different days. There are a good number of HD channels on 110 - yeah, I don't get Discovery Channel (and that makes me sad), but I'll deal. And I hope that when they do add new HD they'll add it to 110 instead of 129, because I can't lock onto it or 61.5, but that's a pipe dream.

I'll take what I can get, and I'll be happy for it. I pay for every channel (not the adults) because there isn't a plan that I can find that will allow me to get every channel on 110 and 119 without paying for top 250 + the full HD.

If, someday, they add SciFi to 110, I might never have "119 Fridays" ever again. Until then, I'll be happy that Dish gives me something DirecTV can't and won't. And even after that.

I'm just happy to have tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts