New Club Dish offer in mail today

jm9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Recieved a interesting package from Dish in the mail today.

They are giving a 510 and a 301 free with installation, and $49.99 off their first bill.

I received the mailing today (2003-10-14), too. The basic deal is for a 510, but a 301 can be added as an optional second receiver.

I noticed one item that may or may not be a misprint. The list of features highlights:

- 100% digital video and audio
- DISH 500 system - multi-room ready - capable of receiving different programming on 2 TV's with an optional second receiver
- Infrared 4-component universal remote control
- Interactive channel guide
- Sophisticated slim-line design satellite TV system
- Parent lock-out features

Since the basic package includes the 510, did DISH really mean to say that the supplied remote is infrared?

The infrared is a misprint. I received the club dish cards a week ago and they did not mention receiving a free 510, but did say ask about our pvr systems. They had the same list you have there, which must have been left unchanged when they did this new promotion.

So does free really mean Digital Home Plan? My normal thought would be that free would mean free hardware(ownership) with the commitment to programming. While I understand that giving things away is not financially feasible, I thought this was a "special " offer/promo sent to good customers to get them to bring in more good customers.

I had a friend use a club dish card that I gave him and he was put on the DHP. He even paid something like $100 for a hardware upgrade to receive a 508. He's called and been told that he is leasing the hardware and is on the DHP. I feel like I've stabbed him in the back.

If free equals DHP then the club dish card is not something I'd be willing in the future to give anyone I consider my friend.

I will not be using these. My brother-in-law just moved to Chicago and got dish without consulting me. He did not even get a DVR, was never explained to him. For him and his goals I would have given him one. His dealer did a poor job explaining the choices.

I gave two away when I joined 2 years ago, never got credit for the first one and my brother cancelled after 1 week because they were blacking out our regional sports channel for him. It's not worth the hassle for me.

I was impressed with the professional package and credit cards, costed a little money to send this box out.

I think it was you friend's mistake of subscribing to DHP rather than opting for free dish. Currently you get 508(upgrade) only with DHP and with DHP you are leasing the equipment. I recently got my DISH using my friend's club dish certificate. Initially even I was not sure about how club dish worked. May be this would help others who are planning to use club dish. Forget about what it says in the letter. Basically it gives you $50 off of most of the current dish network promos/equipment. Currently you could use it for Free dish(up to 3 receivers)/Free dish with DVR/DHP/Free for all. All these offers give you free installation/dish and with club dish you get $50 back.

dweebwithnologinyet said:
So does free really mean Digital Home Plan? My normal thought would be that free would mean free hardware(ownership) with the commitment to programming. While I understand that giving things away is not financially feasible, I thought this was a "special " offer/promo sent to good customers to get them to bring in more good customers.

I had a friend use a club dish card that I gave him and he was put on the DHP. He even paid something like $100 for a hardware upgrade to receive a 508. He's called and been told that he is leasing the hardware and is on the DHP. I feel like I've stabbed him in the back.

If free equals DHP then the club dish card is not something I'd be willing in the future to give anyone I consider my friend.

One more thing is if you are giving it to your friend, ask them to call DISH directly to use it and not the local retailers. Because local retailers pretend as if they never heard of club dish or never encourages anyone to use it unless you explain to them what it is and refer to Dish network website. I don't know why..may be that $50 goes to them if you don't use the certificate.

BTW I got a free dish with PVR510 when I used my certificate and got $50 back.

Anonymous said:
I think it was you friend's mistake of subscribing to DHP rather than opting for free dish. Currently you get 508(upgrade) only with DHP and with DHP you are leasing the equipment. I recently got my DISH using my friend's club dish certificate. Initially even I was not sure about how club dish worked. May be this would help others who are planning to use club dish. Forget about what it says in the letter. Basically it gives you $50 off of most of the current dish network promos/equipment. Currently you could use it for Free dish(up to 3 receivers)/Free dish with DVR/DHP/Free for all. All these offers give you free installation/dish and with club dish you get $50 back.

dweebwithnologinyet said:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)