branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
Hello Mr. Richards,

I understand you would like further information regarding the addition
of the High Definition channels to your Comcast current lineup.

Our goal is to provide a wide choice of quality cable networks and local
broadcast channels reflecting the diverse programming interests of our
customers.

Comcast is committed to deploying HDTV service. We are working to
provide as many high definition channel broadcasters as possible. Here
are some of the factors involved with expanding our high definition
lineup:

-the negotiation and contract process required to obtain the rights to
carry a specific high definition broadcast, such as TNT-HD and HD-Net.

-the increased bandwidth resources which are required

-We will continue to explore additional HD programming opportunities as
more content providers make plans to offer their programming in HD
format.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know what is
important to you. We hope to expand our high definition channel lineup
as fast as we can. Unfortunately we are unable to provide specific
details regarding the launch of new channels at this time, please keep
an eye on your monthly billing statement as the announcement of any
channel additions will appear on those statements.

What this all means is that we take all requests for new networks very
seriously, and that we carefully consider the overall impact of adding
each network. While we cannot honor every request, we do take each
request into consideration in planning future changes to the line-up.

If you have any additional questions regarding our products and
services, please feel free to contact us. We truly value your business!

Sincerely,
Joanne
Comcast Customer Care

Seems like they are getting hit with the HD question alot now that D* and E* are expanding thier HD line-up, only took Comcast 14 minutes to send me this responce

Sorry, asked them what Comcast had in mind as far as adding more HD channels in the near future in responce to D* an E* increasing thier HD lineups. And if it is an area by area demand(which it is ) where they concentrate mostly on the larger populated area first. I live outside of Harrisonburg VA in a resort area called Massanutten

Last edited:
This is a form response that they have been using for a couple of years. The only thing that really changes is the name of the Cusomer Care person. It always mentions HDNet so obviously they get a lot of requests for it.

I sent them an email requesting HDNet a few weeks ago and included an article about HDNet's ratings. They actually sent me a different response. As far as learning when new channels will be added, I get messages on my cable box. A few times there have been local announcements on The Weather Channel and Weatherscan.

See you haven't contacted the right people. This is a response I got from Comcast.

Dear Mr. Satish

As always, the Northern New Jersey Comcast team is extremely focused on enhancing our customers' high-definition experience. When we last corresponded, we indicated additional HD content was being added later this year. While we were not able to provide specific information at that time, we are excited to announce that TBS HD (10/3), NFL Network HD (10/10) and National Geographic HD (10/10) are all being added in your area in October.

Comcast is proud to offer the best HD experience, and viewers agree. We have a superior picture and more HD viewing choices. In a spring 2007 survey, two out of three satellite customers expressed a preference for Comcast, saying Comcast had the better HD picture quality in side-by-side comparisons. This year, we are more than doubling the amount of HD ON DEMAND programming we offer, and we'll double it again in 2008-giving our customers more than 800 HD viewing choices. We're also continuing to introduce new linear HD channels like TBS, HD NFL Network HD and National Geographic HD, both of which will be available in October with more on the way by year end.

In addition to adding more content, Comcast is the most convenient way for customers to enjoy HD programming. There's no extra programming charge for HD channels - DirecTV's HD programming charge is $9.99, while Dish Network's charge is about $19-$20. With Comcast, there's no new equipment to buy, and no new/additional dishes or off-air antennas to install.

Although Comcast has national carriage agreements for certain networks, we are not permitted to disclose specific information until is has been approved for release. While we can not provide more details at this time, rest assured that we are looking forward to providing our Northern New Jersey customers with several more HD channels by year end (some of which you mentioned). This is above and beyond the three additions in October.

Again, we appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback directly to us and continue to be dedicated to offering programming choices that reflect the diverse interests of our customers. As we add new programming choices in the Northern NJ area, you will see newspaper ads in the Newark Star Ledger to communicate these additions as much as 30-days in advance. You are welcome to check in with us from time-to-time and we will be happy to provide any updates that are available.

If you would like for us to contact you via phone to discuss further please let us know the best time and method for contacting you and we would be happy to speak with you directly.

Sincerely,

Meredith Lawless Black

Director of Marketing, Retention & Customer Comm.
Comcast, New Jersey Region

In addition to adding more content, Comcast is the most convenient way for customers to enjoy HD programming. There's no extra programming charge for HD channels - DirecTV's HD programming charge is $9.99, while Dish Network's charge is about $19-$20. With Comcast, there's no new equipment to buy, and no new/additional dishes or off-air antennas to install.

Unless of course, your TV doesn't have a QAM tuner, or you want to view those encrypted HD channels. Then you have to rent an additional box at $7/month ($12 for DVR). And if you have more than one TV, there is an additional digital outlet fee along with the box rental of $7/month.

Unless of course, your TV doesn't have a QAM tuner, or you want to view those encrypted HD channels. Then you have to rent an additional box at $7/month ($12 for DVR). And if you have more than one TV, there is an additional digital outlet fee along with the box rental of $7/month.

Yeah I know, I pointed that out in a response to her.

I got them to waive the AO fee for me when I signed up for the Triple Choice Premier. I'm also only paying for one HD DVR out of the two I have.

Is that permanent or temporary? I bet it only lasts for the first year. When I signed up, they made no mention of the AO fee. I called them on it, and was told it was a standard option. They refunded it for one month and that was it.

Is that permanent or temporary? I bet it only lasts for the first year. When I signed up, they made no mention of the AO fee. I called them on it, and was told it was a standard option. They refunded it for one month and that was it.

We'll see.. so far it's been an automatic credit applied each month. That is if I make it to the end of my year with them without switching.

See you haven't contacted the right people. This is a response I got from Comcast.
This year, we are more than doubling the amount of HD ON DEMAND programming we offer, and we'll double it again in 2008-giving our customers more than 800 HD viewing choices.

Is it just me or does Comcast love to tout On-Demand.. personally in our household we could care less.. 1. we don't have any comcast STBs or DVRs (we use a Tivo S3 HD and a Tivo2) 2. We never used the on-demand when we had it.

DirectTV charges you extra $5 per outlet per month.

We only pay for one Cablecard (even though we have 2) and we have digital cable in 3 rooms via in-house modulation and IR replication..woohoo! Cost less than $100 to get this up and running.

-t

She said "No Equipment to buy" Not "No Equipment to rent"

Also the Fee is not for the extra programming, the HD channels are free, the fee is for the rental of the box. Is it there fault your tv does not have a QAM Tuner? And with that 7$ not only are you getting the ability to have your HD channels at no extra cost, you also get some hundred other digital tier channels included.

Also the Fee is not for the extra programming, the HD channels are free, the fee is for the rental of the box. Is it there fault your tv does not have a QAM Tuner? And with that 7$ not only are you getting the ability to have your HD channels at no extra cost, you also get some hundred other digital tier channels included.

Actually, it doesn't matter if the TV doesn't have a QAM tuner. If you want an encrypted HD channel, which is all of them besides the locals, you have to pay for the additional digital outlet fee, and rent a box or cable card.

Just got off the phone today with Comcast. The Rep today said that there were a whole bunch of channels coming to us in Seattle. What she couldn't say was when. They are in the process of upgrading the system. So, I guess I'll stick it out a smidge longer to see what happens. I'm planning on moving downtown next summer and don't want to be stuck with a contract with D* if I can't find a place that I can't have it!

Finger crossed!:)

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)