New Complicated Possible HDCP Like Issue On Hopper 3

tornado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Tulsa
I have my Hopper 3 simultaneously connected to a plasma via HDMI and an led via component. I have had no problems until today when the HDMI connected television was off. I activated Side by Side PiP on the component television. A few minutes after activating Side by Side PiP the right window starts flashing with a frozen picture like HDCP kicked in on that picture. Swapping windows crippled the other picture. All content crippled after exiting PiP. When I turned on the HDMI connected television the picture was still crippled. The only way to resolve the issue was to reboot. The issue returned when I tried it again with only the television connected via component turned on. Dish had me disconnect HDMI, reboot, and try to replicate the issue. I could not. DISH had me reattach the HDMI connection. I am no longer having the issue so far after a few minutes. I found this all strange since I have never had this problem before. I've been watching my Hopper 3 connected to two televisions simultaneously like this a couple of months. Most of the time both televisions were tuned on though. I don't know what is happening.

Last edited:
The way that I got that to work with my HwS when I got the HDCP Message, was to route the HDMI through my AVR. Then set the AVR to pass through for that HDMI signal to my DLP and fed a second TV/Monitor directly off the HwS. I only get the HDCP Message when turning on my AVR and the connection is broken for a second. So as long as the HDMI side sees a "legal" connection the Component works fine.

I don't have an AVR hooked up. It seemed to happen only after turning on Side by Side PiP, but the HDMI connected television was off. I've had the two televisions hooked up for a couple of months. I think both sets have been turned on most of the time. This was the first time I have experienced anything like this.

I dont believe your symtoms are due to multiple tvs.
I believe it is a pip issue.
We have only one tv connected to H3 (hdmi) and have had the frozen/flashing issue during pip.
Sometimes on only one of the multiple selected feeds (tuners),
and sometimes on multiple of the quad-pip feeds (tuners).

More recently we are having audio dropouts on pip.
The audio dropouts seem to start when 10-back or timeshift is used, and the dropouts continue even when back to live.
Rather than reset H3, we found channel up/down and back resets that particular feed (tuner) and the issues is resolved.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

I dont believe your symtoms are due to multiple tvs.
I believe it is a pip issue.
We have only one tv connected to H3 (hdmi) and have had the frozen/flashing issue during pip.
Sometimes on only one of the multiple selected feeds (tuners),
and sometimes on multiple of the quad-pip feeds (tuners).

More recently we are having audio dropouts on pip.
The audio dropouts seem to start when 10-back or timeshift is used, and the dropouts continue even when back to live.
Rather than reset H3, we found channel up/down and back resets that particular feed (tuner) and the issues is resolved.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!
DISH did mention some Hopper 3 customers have been having an issue with PiP. I am just trying to figure it out.

I have had the problem since U336. On a Hopper 3. AVR is a Denon X4000. On my setup after it leaves the AVR I have mine run into a powered HDMI splitter. One goes to the main TV and the other to a second tv. Since U336. From time to time if I turn on a second tv I will get a blank screen on the first tv that was on. My guess has been. That it is a HDMI control issue. (Hopper software) If I turn off HDMI control on the Hopper it all works fine. But I like that feature so I work around it. Dish will fix that with the 4K joey Netflix issue. lol I don't believe it is HDCP. That really only applies the certain programming and not all carriers use it. It is a pain on my UHD-player. My AVR is older and not compliant with the new HDCP versions. But so far that issue is fine on the Hopper 3. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)