Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Iceberg and others with a CS8k. There apperas to be a new firmware for the 8000 and a cleaning file before you upgrade, looks like maybe they made some major changes if they want to wipe the previous firmware off first.

GOOD!

That was the issue with the 8000. If you updated the software, you couldnt go back in most cases. I found a "factory flash" which was legit but it would log pretty much every channel as "TV 1", TV2" etc even the stuff that had names.

And I couldnt go back. Hopefully this will let me

Downloading right now

The clean actually wipes the slate clean and shows software 0.00.00 when done.

well its done

no blind scan :(

now to see if the channels kept the names or not

edit: it does give them the correct names on G10 and not "TV1", TV2, etc

Dam! I have been in touch with the Coolsatusa freetech-inc people, they say they are working on a blind scan feature for the 8000....I was hoping this was it. Anyone who is hoping for blind scan for this unit, email those guys and pester them about it.

DANG, I was hoping for Blindscan too, I was all ready to pull the trigger on buying an 8000 if this release had blind scan in it.
Ho hum, I guess I'll wait some more. *sigh*

After searching for the factory firmware mentioned, and finding so many other sources, I can conclude but one thing:
We are not their target audience. :rolleyes:

Anole, you hit the nail on the head. I phoned Coolsatusa this winter inquiring about the chances of getting blind scan on the 8000, they were very polite and shuffled me to several people at the location, in the end, after speaking with 3 people, only one knew what blind scan was and he wasn't sure if the 8000 had it or not...at least he was honest. I agree, most of the receiver manufacturers are more interested in a slick epg than blind scan... which I"m sure their target audience knows nothing about.

should've looked in the right place

I made the mistake of searching with Google for the update.
Going directly to the CoolSatUSA site would have been smarter.
All the factory firmware for their family of receivers is located there.

Since their cs 5000 has blind scan, and is one of maybe two receivers I'd consider purchasing, why wouldn't the "factory" (importer) know about blind scan??

The Coolsat 8000 is different screen wise than the 4000/5000/6000. I heard the 8000 is like an Ariza receiver.

I made the mistake of searching with Google for the update.
Going directly to the CoolSatUSA site would have been smarter.
All the factory firmware for their family of receivers is located there.

Since their cs 5000 has blind scan, and is one of maybe two receivers I'd consider purchasing, why wouldn't the "factory" (importer) know about blind scan??

Laff yeah, that's why I said it's on the coolsat site. Lots of crap to wade through on some of the google search results.

well I found an issue with it. It won't show one of my OTA channels. It logs the channel correctly (WCCO-DT CBS) Channle 32 (maps down to 4). When I go to the channel, I get a black screen and "service not available" on it :(

Going to go back to the previous factory and see if that fixes it.

Got email correspondence from CoolsatUSA today. The email said that the next major release of the 8000 firmware SHOULD have Blind scan features and some minor bug fixes. Whatever they mean by Major release is left to ponder.

I hope that is the case. This is part of an e-mail I received from those folks a few weeks ago:
"our engineers are working on it and I believe it won't be long until they come out with 8000HD models that have blind scan capabilities. Hope this helps."
That infers to me the current models won't ever be blind scan capable but a newer model will.
Just have to wait and see.

Isn't this the same receiver that shipped the first load without the promised USB port, or something?
Did that (whatever it was) ever get resolved?

correct. Dont know if it has been added

Also, the original batches only had DTV tuning software and no satellite tuning software

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)