New copyright protection on HBO????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chudgins63

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
First time I've seen this message when I tried tuning in to channel 509 today to watch "Independence Day"

"Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with a component cable will allow you to view the program"

What the hell?? I want to stay full digital with HDMI!!!

Attachments

• HDMI warning.doc
    150 KB · Views: 256
you do know that component cables will also get you the same resolution. HDMI is just a one cable option.

But no I havent seen that on any of my channels.

I always understood that you lost a bit of resolution and added some distortion when using component cables by converting the signal to analog and then back to digital at the TV end. HDMI keeps it digital from end to end.

First time I've seen this message when I tried tuning in to channel 509 today to watch "Independence Day"

"Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with a component cable will allow you to view the program"

What the hell?? I want to stay full digital with HDMI!!!

All HDMI cables are suppose to use HDCP which is the copyright protocol. Your HDMI cable is probably going bad. Try using a new one and see what happens.

Red button reset doesn't work with this error. I've had it for months reported in another thread. Happens when you have both HDMI and Component attached to the receiver at the same time. Removing the HDMI cable allows the component to work without problems or you can use HDMI. I run component to the TV when I don't want to use the receiver and HDMI to the receiver and out to the TV. Only channel this happens on.

S~

Red button reset doesn't work with this error. I've had it for months reported in another thread. Happens when you have both HDMI and Component attached to the receiver at the same time. Removing the HDMI cable allows the component to work without problems or you can use HDMI. I run component to the TV when I don't want to use the receiver and HDMI to the receiver and out to the TV. Only channel this happens on.

S~

I had lots of people get that message on all sorts of channels and about 70 percent of the time it resloves the issue.

the other 30% are all over the place .

I always understood that you lost a bit of resolution and added some distortion when using component cables by converting the signal to analog and then back to digital at the TV end. HDMI keeps it digital from end to end.

Try it and see if you can tell a difference, I can't. It's a different input on your TV so it will have to be set up the same way that you had to set up your TV for HDMI, brightness, color, etc.

Interesting article on the subject: DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better? - eCoustics.com

Yeah, it keeps it digital, but there's still converting going on.

Of course they can't enforce the copywrite protection through component. There was talk of Dish downrezzing the component feed to 480p to force people who want HD to use HDMI just so they can enforce the copyright protecting. Not sure if DirecTV is thinking of doing that too. It was a major issue with Dish in that their HDMI port on their receiver was very flimsy and prone to breakage (partly due to the heat their receivers put out causing some mechanical breakdown around that area of the receiver), therefore many used component. At least DirecTV doesn't have that issue!

The day I can't watch or copy something for my own personal use is the day the receiver is shipped back to them in pieces. :eek:

I went to channel 509 just to test out whether I'd get the same warning. At first the warning popped up,but then it went straight to movie within a second,give or take.

I'm going to agree with jacktorson. Get a 1.4a cable from amazon for $3 and the issue will be solved. I tuned to the channel and had no issues. I work with a pure HDMI setup to all my digital systems (HR24, Onkyo SR608, Oppo 93, etc.)

As far as HDMI vs. Component - I personally need ARC, HEC and CEC for some applications and Component can not provide those services. So in some modern applications, you actually need HDMI.

No such thing as an 1.4 cable. 1.4 refers to the connector. Cables are either standard speed or high speed. Then they can come with ARC, ethernet, etc.

S~

No such thing as an 1.4 cable. 1.4 refers to the connector. Cables are either standard speed or high speed. Then they can come with ARC, ethernet, etc.

S~

I was speaking in consumer terms. If you want to be technical, I surely can.

There is a 1.4 HDMI specification. That is what I stated. It was good advice. You search for it on Amazon, you find it, you buy it. Done.

Cables are either standard speed or high speed.

You do know this is a ridiculous statement, right?

If we want to digress, I'm up for that.

Last edited:
You do know this is a ridiculous statement, right?

If we want to digress, I'm up for that.

I was 100% correct in my statement. I do this for a living. Be accurate. There are five cable types. 2 standard (one with ethernet), standard automotive, and 2 high speed (one with ethernet).

To help consumer and clarify cable types further, all HDMI cable products will now be required to be labeled by cable type. Look for these labels when choosing the HDMI cable that is best for your needs.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

There is something up with 509, whether it is within the receiver, encryption, who knows. Running straight HDMI won't show this problem. Having both HDMI and component hooked up at the same time will. HDMI works fine, component will not unless you unplug the HDMI cable from the box.

S~

I was 100% correct in my statement. I do this for a living. Be accurate. There are five cable types. 2 standard (one with ethernet), standard automotive, and 2 high speed (one with ethernet).

You started a random argument over my attempt to help the original poster.

Sure, there are five HDMI cable types. Does that mean anything to the end customer? No. It has everything to do with the handshake via the connector. The specification.

You are talking about "cables." I have a cable going from the telephone pole to my land line phone...

In the end, I still hold to the fact that spending $3 on a 1.4a cable from amazon will probably fix the issue. Or you could screw around for 5 or 6 hours doing other stuff.

The devices do the handshake. The cable just carries the data. A standard speed cable will carry all of the data for digital broadcast. It is guaranteed to work with 720p/1080i. I have also seen them work with 1080p and 3D. I have also seen them not work with 1080p and 3D. No one knows what cable the OP is using as he hasn't been back. He also didn't say whether or not he has component hooked up at the same time. This is where I have seen this issue several times. I have not seen it running only a digital connection.

S~

The problem with the solution that is offered is that when presented with HDCP protected content, the HD DVR is supposed to disable the component output.

We know from the early history of the HR20 that it works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts