new cust deal - very subtle trick - NO 4 TVs but 4 tuners!

juangomez

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Hi,

I was ready to sign up for Dish, I figured it out what I wanted and then I called them but I got a big surprise that made me not to sign up.

Dish newest deal says that will allow you watch programming in 4 tvs. This is not true if you choose the newest DVRs.
You may think they will give 4 DVRs but NO, they count the tuners on every receiver and that's how they do the maths, that's their trick!!!!!

For instance, this is how I want my setup: 942 + 625 + 625 or at least 510 for a total of 3 TVs.

- 942: ONLY to record HD + dual tuner (so I can tape a program and watch another channel at the same time) + tivo-like features.
- 625: record 100 hours + dual tuner + tivo-like features.
- 510: record 100 hours but no tivo-like features.

They won't give it to you, they will only give you 942 + 625 because they are dual tuners (2 +2=4).
I want to have a fully featured receiver!! with dual tuner and tivo-like features! for my TVs and no half featured receivers, half capacity and only one tuner!

I don't know what you guys think.
I think that is just not right... but this is just my thinking, a poor new customer :(

= J =

Nope, the DHA promo (iirc) is specifically for 4 Leased Tuners, period! No way around it, but you can prob get a 510 cheap from dishstore.net !

goaliebob99 said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys..... what tivo features are you looking for, the 510's will be getting Name Based recording soon If thats the feature your looking for.

Thank you for the welcome :)

yes, Name Based recording is one of the tivo-like feature I would definitely like to see in the 510 (or any receiver).
When do you think it's going to get it?

I'd probably be somewhat happy with one 942 and two 510s (with Name Based recording) although another really important feature for me in a receiver it's the ability to tape one program and be able to watch another one. Wouldn't be reasonable to think that somebody may just want that for 1 TV and not force you to share such receiver between two TVs (losing some of the main features as I mentioned earlier such as capacity and tape/watch dif channels)?

They don't charge you as two extra receivers for the 625 like they do for two 510s, why can they act the same way for the tv issue?

Thanks a lot for the 510 update!

= J =

the 625 will let you record one channel and let you watch another. The receiver has to be set in single mode though.

The 942 and 625 output to a total of 4 TVs on 4 different channels. Just becuase the Tuners are in the same box doesn't mean it works only ony 1 tv per receiver. Not, if you want a dual tuner receiver that is dedicated to just 1 TV, you would have to get a 921 for HD and a 721 for SD. The receivers have been discontinued, and will never get E*'s version of NBR. Or, you could get a D*TiVo from D*, and 3 standard rooms. However, D*'s HD TiVo is $550, and you have to pay for 4 receviers, or $15 more on your bill, and $5 for the DVR fee(waived with the Total Choice Platinum). With E*, you only pay $15 more on your bill, or $5 for the additional receiver and $10 for the DVR fees(which are waived with the Everything Pack).

juangomez said:
Hi,

I was ready to sign up for Dish, I figured it out what I wanted and then I called them but I got a big surprise that made me not to sign up.

Dish newest deal says that will allow you watch programming in 4 tvs. This is not true if you choose the newest DVRs.
You may think they will give 4 DVRs but NO, they count the tuners on every receiver and that's how they do the maths, that's their trick!!!!!

For instance, this is how I want my setup: 942 + 625 + 625 or at least 510 for a total of 3 TVs.

- 942: ONLY to record HD + dual tuner (so I can tape a program and watch another channel at the same time) + tivo-like features.
- 625: record 100 hours + dual tuner + tivo-like features.
- 510: record 100 hours but no tivo-like features.

They won't give it to you, they will only give you 942 + 625 because they are dual tuners (2 +2=4).
I want to have a fully featured receiver!! with dual tuner and tivo-like features! for my TVs and no half featured receivers, half capacity and only one tuner!

I don't know what you guys think.
I think that is just not right... but this is just my thinking, a poor new customer :(

= J =

Well what your looking for is set up for 6 tv's and also would be around $1,600 worth of equipment and about $472 worth of labour billed at $59 an hour for an estimated 8 hour job. Theres no gimick in the promo, it states up to four tv's, not up to four dual tuners to allow for pip in 4 tv's. Im sorry that you cant get what you are looking for for free but honestly if dish were to give away everything for free how long do you think they would be around? Initialy there was not going to be a lrental fee on the 942, it was supposed to be a direct purchase of $900 but with more people having hd tv's now it would has proved to be better to charge $250 lease option for the 942.

Van said:
Well what your looking for is set up for 6 tv's and also would be around $1,600 worth of equipment and about $472 worth of labour billed at $59 an hour for an estimated 8 hour job. Theres no gimick in the promo, it states up to four tv's, not up to four dual tuners to allow for pip in 4 tv's. Im sorry that you cant get what you are looking for for free but honestly if dish were to give away everything for free how long do you think they would be around? Initialy there was not going to be a lrental fee on the 942, it was supposed to be a direct purchase of $900 but with more people having hd tv's now it would has proved to be better to charge $250 lease option for the 942.

Now, if you were willing to sign maybe a five year contract at the everything pack, and put down a deposit in case you decide to cancel before your five years are up, then maybe they would consider your setup that you want. But for now, it's like 14-18 months before they start making any kind of money from one customer, so...

juangomez said:
Thank you for the welcome :)

yes, Name Based recording is one of the tivo-like feature I would definitely like to see in the 510 (or any receiver).
When do you think it's going to get it?

Seriously, don't hold your breath. This has been promised over and over again. Latest word is end of the year, but that was because last promised date of end of summer came and went. Look around the dvr forum for many many threads on this.

If you need NBR, look at the 625 or 522, not the 510.

Van said:

I don't believe it's worth $1600. Maybe if you count the MSRP, you can buy a new 942 for $600 nowdays, you're paying $250 for a lease and you have to keep certain programming to keep it so they make sure the $$$ get in every month.

On the other side they don't even state that has to be new equipment, it's a lease, all the equipment they lend you could be refurbished or already used by somebody else.

They don't "give you anything for free", the equipment is theirs. If you don't want to stay with them, it will go to another house, if the equipment is too old I'm sure they have channels to sell it anyway, and most important, if by that time is too old, you already paid well enough all the equipment.

But of course, I'm probably not being very objective here, sorry.

An idea: Since those dual tuner receivers can act in a single or dual mode, and they have to be connected to the phone line, they could have made the software so they (from Dish) can control/know if it's working in single or dual mode and act accordingly (more fees for more TVs).

Thank you for your comments anyway.
= J =

Hey, "J"

Why don't you start your own satellite TV company?

You can give away 4 or more dual-tuner HD DVRs to all your customers along with the antenna, switches & hardware and install it all for free.

Pretty soon you will run DISH & DirecTV out of business and probably all the cable companies, too. You will soon be the THE TV company for the whole country and probably the rest of the world soon thereafter.

You'll be the richer than God!

:smug

juangomez said:
I don't believe it's worth $1600. Maybe if you count the MSRP, you can buy a new 942 for $600 nowdays, you're paying $250 for a lease and you have to keep certain programming to keep it so they make sure the $$$ get in every month.

On the other side they don't even state that has to be new equipment, it's a lease, all the equipment they lend you could be refurbished or already used by somebody else.

They don't "give you anything for free", the equipment is theirs. If you don't want to stay with them, it will go to another house, if the equipment is too old I'm sure they have channels to sell it anyway, and most important, if by that time is too old, you already paid well enough all the equipment.

An idea: Since those dual tuner receivers can act in a single or dual mode, and they have to be connected to the phone line, they could have made the software so they (from Dish) can control/know if it's working in single or dual mode and act accordingly (more fees for more TVs).

Thank you for your comments anyway.
= J =

Or you could go with a cable company that offers the SA8300HD which gives you DUAL tuner HD. Plus you don't have to pay $250 for the lease.

Thats right, I had heard that the msrp on the 942 had dropped but the 625's are supposed to be running around $300 or $350, the dpp44 is $175, if he is getting just a d500 then a dp twin at $45 and if the 942 has dropped from $900 to $600 then that in itsself is a deal for a new product that is not at this time even in the reman stage same as the 625 wich isnt in the reman stage yet. Hmm my math was off.

JohnDoe#2 said:
Hey, "J"

Why don't you start your own satellite TV company?

You can give away 4 or more dual-tuner HD DVRs to all your customers along with the antenna, switches & hardware and install it all for free.

Pretty soon you will run DISH & DirecTV out of business and probably all the cable companies, too. You will soon be the THE TV company for the whole country and probably the rest of the world soon thereafter.

You'll be the richer than God!

:smug

Great idea!!

Since they are giving away now 2 dual tuner DVRs with the antenna, switches & hardware and they are installing it all for free, well, only $49, well, only if don't have to pay $100 for an extra dish, well, only if you don't get a HD DVR for $250 lease, that would be initial $400 you have to give out of your pocket. Then I should let you get another 2 dual tuner DVRs signing for 18 months... better for 24 months and because you have the HD DVR you have to stick with a $40 package, but because you have such a fancy receivers I'm sure you're going to pay at least for the HD packages plus at least the America180 and most likely HBO+showtime that also offer HD channels (I'm sure most people at this point will go with the everything pack, what the heck!) plus of course DVR fees + extra receiver fees for a grand total of at least $110-$120 a month (I don't even want to do the sum up). In the 24 months that will be a total of $2600-$2800, plus the initial $400 plus all the PPVs and sport subscription, etc, etc. Well, and I guess that after the 24th month you may not want to stick with "my company" so you can give me back "my receivers" cause I have an internet company "myDishIsTheCheapest.Com" where I can sell them a little bit cheaper and get some more money or just lease them to somebody else.

But still, running all these numbers probably I wouldn't get so so so rich or I would finish up like VOOM.
Oh well, I guess I won't be able to make it after all ;)

= J =

PS: or maybe I would, especially if somebody would support me so much in front of everybody saying that I'm making them the greatest favor/deal in the history of corporations. This way they wouldn't dare to ask for anything else :)

No they wouldn't ask for anything else.

They would though get on every board out there and throw a hissy fit because 1 time the receiver did not record a show like they wanted. Let alone everytime they noticed that there was a pixilation, if the service was just 1% less than perfect, your company sucks. :)

A my god why won't your company give a customer 5 dual tuners. Your current ad states you can get 4 tv's free. I want to be able to record every show thats broadcast, cause I can only watch TV from 4 A.M to 5 A.M. :D

Dunno about you, but I'd love to get 2 625s like that without having to pay more (well, 'cept DVR fees)...

Oh well :)

juangomez said:
Great idea!!

Since they are giving away now 2 dual tuner DVRs with the antenna, switches & hardware and they are installing it all for free, well, only $49, well, only if don't have to pay $100 for an extra dish, well, only if you don't get a HD DVR for $250 lease, that would be initial $400 you have to give out of your pocket. Then I should let you get another 2 dual tuner DVRs signing for 18 months... better for 24 months and because you have the HD DVR you have to stick with a $40 package, but because you have such a fancy receivers I'm sure you're going to pay at least for the HD packages plus at least the America180 and most likely HBO+showtime that also offer HD channels (I'm sure most people at this point will go with the everything pack, what the heck!) plus of course DVR fees + extra receiver fees for a grand total of at least $110-$120 a month (I don't even want to do the sum up). In the 24 months that will be a total of $2600-$2800, plus the initial $400 plus all the PPVs and sport subscription, etc, etc. Well, and I guess that after the 24th month you may not want to stick with "my company" so you can give me back "my receivers" cause I have an internet company "myDishIsTheCheapest.Com" where I can sell them a little bit cheaper and get some more money or just lease them to somebody else.

But still, running all these numbers probably I wouldn't get so so so rich or I would finish up like VOOM.
Oh well, I guess I won't be able to make it after all ;)

= J =

PS: or maybe I would, especially if somebody would support me so much in front of everybody saying that I'm making them the greatest favor/deal in the history of corporations. This way they wouldn't dare to ask for anything else :)
J'

Your math reveals that you can expect to net ~$2800 per subscriber in 24 months. This is pure profit to you because:

1. The program providers will want to donate all the programming to a smart businessman like you.
2. You will have thousands of unpaid volinteer employees happy to work 40-50 hours a weeks to get free TV in their off-time.
3. Your uplink centers/offices/factories/warehouses and all the overhead (insurance, phone, computers, supplies, etc., etc.) will be donated by the local government bodies to provide local jobs. No taxes either!
4. The spacecraft will be designed, tested, built, launched and maintained for you by NASA as a public service.

You will continue to give away new products to existing customers every year or so to keep them happy and show that you don't value new customers more than them. Why would they ever leave?

They won't have a choice after you "corner the market" in a few years anyway.

Please get started on this.

I want to be your first customer.

if you think everyone returns equipment you are sadly mistaken.
I did contracting for a cable company. I had a list of over 8,000 digital boxes To try retrieving from customers in a 50,000 strong city. They were all in collections for failure to return well before they got to my desk.
You think sattelite companies get a better return rate than the cable co?

juan said:
Correct, for all the reasons the others rightfully bashing you have posted.

I won't even mention that TWO of those four tuners carry NO extra monthly charge as long as a phone line is hooked up.

Ooops! I DID mention it. :D

P.S. As others here will attest, I am FAR from being an E* @$$-kisser, but you're just being ridiculous.

I don't like this dual turner with a pvr fee crap. I bought a 501 from Dishstore decided it didn't have enough room for me so bought a 721 from eBay. The 501 was great although it's now upstairs and seems to be having a problem with it saying the signal is lost when it isn't and the other recievers work fine might be time to call Dish for some warrenty service. I love both my 721 and 501 though and would just buy those then a 942. The 501 would be my favorite reciever I have used if it had more space and dual turners. I use the dual tuners more than i thought I would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)